Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-31-2019, 07:24 PM   #201
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Okay I will
I get frustration but saying there’s no difference than making the tournament compared to if you lose the first weekend is pathetic
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:11 PM   #202
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
I get frustration but saying there’s no difference than making the tournament compared to if you lose the first weekend is pathetic
How is it that different? Because you get to say you made it? You think South Carolina would trade their final four for getting bounced in the first weekend 8 out of 9 years? I don't. Or Wichita? It is getting embarrassing and probably hurting our recruiting.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:00 AM   #203
z_bearcat

z_bearcat is on a distinguished road
The Cincinnati Enquirer is reporting that Cronin could be a candidate to replace Virginia Tech’s Buzz Williams should Williams leave for Texas A&M.
z_bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #204
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How is it that different? Because you get to say you made it? You think South Carolina would trade their final four for getting bounced in the first weekend 8 out of 9 years? I don't. Or Wichita? It is getting embarrassing and probably hurting our recruiting.
You think having 2 NCAA tournament births in 2 decades, with one of those being a final 4 is a better recruiting pitch than going every year? That sure is an interesting take, but to each their own.
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:12 AM   #205
TheRealUC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_bearcat View Post
The Cincinnati Enquirer is reporting that Cronin could be a candidate to replace Virginia Tech’s Buzz Williams should Williams leave for Texas A&M.
Impossible. Mick is a shit coach....
Old 04-01-2019, 09:29 AM   #206
z_bearcat

z_bearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post
Impossible. Mick is a shit coach....
I don’t offer an opinion on the coaching of Cronin. I’m simply writing the Enquirer reports this. Make of it what you will.
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/university-of-cincinnati/2019/04/01/mick-cronin-may-virginia-tech-candidate-replace-buzz-williams/3329892002/

Last edited by z_bearcat; 04-01-2019 at 09:31 AM.
z_bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:27 AM   #207
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post
You think having 2 NCAA tournament births in 2 decades, with one of those being a final 4 is a better recruiting pitch than going every year? That sure is an interesting take, but to each their own.
I agree it doesn't hurt our recruiting to make it each year. That said, I bet if you asked Troy, Evans, Clark, Jennifer, or anyone would they rather have had a final 4 run in one of their years and not made it the others they would all take that over not making it past the 1st weekend 4 years in a row.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:07 PM   #208
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
Can’t believe Bruce Pearl didn’t start the same 5 in the second half that he did in the first.... said something about in game adjustments. Watching mick coach so long I forgot you could do that.
While I do believe Mick has some adjustments he can make I do remember this year thinking we had no chance to come back and win several games. I was about a minute from tuning out only to watch us come back and win the games.

So I think he makes some decent adjustments at times. I would like to see him make a couple of adjustments in his overall approach though. Perhaps use the grad transfer and not worry so much about players getting feelings hurt. Recruit more basketball players vs athletes etc. We all know he can coach D so we could use more scoring minded players. Maybe get the younger more talented players more time vs seniority earning the minutes by default.

We know how things will end if he doesn't make adjustments. For some that will be good enough and for others it won't.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #209
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The comment you made was players don't care about making the tournament if they get bounced the first weekend. You don't think it means anything to them to watch selection Sunday and be in the tournament? If that's how you think I don't know what else to say.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:59 PM   #210
TheRealUC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
I agree it doesn't hurt our recruiting to make it each year. That said, I bet if you asked Troy, Evans, Clark, Jennifer, or anyone would they rather have had a final 4 run in one of their years and not made it the others they would all take that over not making it past the 1st weekend 4 years in a row.
Well of course. What player wouldn't want a final 4 in their 1-4 years of playing? Bottom line is that doesn't happen for the vast majority of players and/or programs.