Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #1651
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
There aren't pending charges right? It happened in 2017, he plead no contest to reduced charges in 2018.
I am honestly not sure, maybe pending charges wasn't the best choice of words, I have seen somethings that its worked out and then I have seen that they are still working it out and the admins at UC have to review it. Then again my degree was in accounting an not law so I honestly have no idea.

Last edited by cincyalum2014; 06-19-2019 at 08:27 AM.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:19 AM   #1652
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
I am honestly not sure, maybe pending charges wasn't the best choice of words, I have seen somethings that its still getting worked out and then I have seen that they are still working it out and the admins at UC have to review it. Then again my degree was in accounting an not law so I honestly have no idea.
Could be the red tape of reclassifying. I would guess Hardnett going into the portal means there is a high level of confidence. Harvey has been spotted on campus.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #1653
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
keith Williams can't shoot worth a lick but know how get to rim better than anybody on team, coached called him the most perfect player for his system
I get what you are saying but Brannen chose the words "If I had to draw a player for the system...it would be Keith". You can read into that any way you want I guess but we all know CJB values shooters on the perimeter. So I would take it as Keith's body type and athleticism. If Keith could shoot I think Brannen would have chosen different words because he is otherwise a pretty complete package.

Keith probably fits the defensive end as well with the long arms, quickness and instinct to get steals in the press.

As a 4 Hardnett doesn't have an inside game and he can't shoot. He can score in transition but that is a small part of the game. I don't know how he rates out on D...but that is another big part of the equation. My guess is Keith is well ahead on both offense and D.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:35 AM   #1654
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Could be the red tape of reclassifying. I would guess Hardnett going into the portal means there is a high level of confidence. Harvey has been spotted on campus.
I think that's also why this has been pretty quite for the most part, due to Harveys legal thing he was dealing with and him possibly coming back to the 2019 class.

Also if Harvey does reclassify he would be the 4th best rated shooting guard and in the top 50 of 2019 recruits, I think that speaks volumes of what JB is trying to do here.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #1655
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I get what you are saying but Brannen chose the words "If I had to draw a player for the system...it would be Keith". You can read into that any way you want I guess but we all know CJB values shooters on the perimeter. So I would take it as Keith's body type and athleticism. If Keith could shoot I think Brannen would have chosen different words because he is otherwise a pretty complete package.

Keith probably fits the defensive end as well with the long arms, quickness and instinct to get steals in the press.

As a 4 Hardnett doesn't have an inside game and he can't shoot. He can score in transition but that is a small part of the game. I don't know how he rates out on D...but that is another big part of the equation. My guess is Keith is well ahead on both offense and D.

I think Keith has the highest ceiling on this team. I think his outside shooting woes came from a loss and regain of confidence from the "insta" subbing that used to go on. Keith for 2 years won the "Body Language" award, nobody displayed it more them him. So I feel he was never a 100% engaged, and he still increased his production through sure will and athleticism.

Dude is fearless, and now that the leash is off, sit back and enjoy the show.
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:20 AM   #1656
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
I think that's also why this has been pretty quite for the most part, due to Harveys legal thing he was dealing with and him possibly coming back to the 2019 class.

Also if Harvey does reclassify he would be the 4th best rated shooting guard and in the top 50 of 2019 recruits, I think that speaks volumes of what JB is trying to do here.
The last three recruits in succession you would have Cumberland, Saunders, and Harvey. Given a bit of time it looks like he can do a little damage.

Two of those are no brainers and Saunders is really moving up the rankings.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #1657
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser Mentality View Post
I think Keith has the highest ceiling on this team. I think his outside shooting woes came from a loss and regain of confidence from the "insta" subbing that used to go on. Keith for 2 years won the "Body Language" award, nobody displayed it more them him. So I feel he was never a 100% engaged, and he still increased his production through sure will and athleticism.

Dude is fearless, and now that the leash is off, sit back and enjoy the show.
Well they are moving the line back but if Keith can get into the low 30's from deep we are going to be tough to beat this year. It's going to open his game up a little and we will have the 2 Cumberlands to go with it. Keith will be a menace on the break and press getting some easy points and likely some of the best dunks UC will ever see!
Old 06-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #1658
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Houston was similar in size last year. They had a couple big guys but they did not do anything except foul. It can be done but It gets hard when you play the blue bloods and the size is hard to overcome. Memphis will be hard to deal withthis year.
Yeah, Houston was maybe even smaller. It's all about having a guard or two who can rebound. Houston and Armoni Brooks who averaged over 5 per game, UC with Gates had JaQuan Parker over 5 per game (and Justin Jackson was a good rebounder off the bench).

Scott and Diarra have both shown the ability to be very good rebounders (Sorolla hasn't, but I don't expect him to play much anyway). If we get a guard or two who can average 4.5+ rebounds per game we should be okay. I don't see Jaevin or McNeal getting many rebounds though (would be nice to still have LoJo as he could rebound well), so Jarron and/or Keith are probably going to have to crash the boards on most defensive possessions.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:21 AM   #1659
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Yeah, Houston was maybe even smaller. It's all about having a guard or two who can rebound. Houston and Armoni Brooks who averaged over 5 per game, UC with Gates had JaQuan Parker over 5 per game (and Justin Jackson was a good rebounder off the bench).

Scott and Diarra have both shown the ability to be very good rebounders (Sorolla hasn't, but I don't expect him to play much anyway). If we get a guard or two who can average 4.5+ rebounds per game we should be okay. I don't see Jaevin or McNeal getting many rebounds though (would be nice to still have LoJo as he could rebound well), so Jarron and/or Keith are probably going to have to crash the boards on most defensive possessions.
I can't argue with any of that but I think we will be fine. We should have all the options we need on the roster to make in game adjustments.

We can run with a PG, we can play with no PG, we can run with 1 big or two.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #1660
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I can't argue with any of that but I think we will be fine. We should have all the options we need on the roster to make in game adjustments.

We can run with a PG, we can play with no PG, we can run with 1 big or two.
But we can't play an entire game with 2 bigs. With only 3 of them, they are going to have to rest at some point (and that's not mentioning foul trouble).

Teams like Ohio State (Kaleb Wesson who is 6'9 270) and Memphis - could use a lineup with 3 players who are 6'8"+, could cause us major problems. Especially as Diarra/Sorolla need to improve significantly from last year to be able to provide quality minutes.

I think we are in good shape to win at least 25 and possibly 30 games. But I have to see us play before I'm convinced our lack of big men isn't going to be a major weakness.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote