Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
Not Guilty
Elite Member

Not Guilty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2go View Post
I guess that is my point.

He wasn't good enough to play this past year, regardless of hindsight. If he is as good as Mick thinks, I'm sure he could have found plenty of PT. It is not like Dixon was a big scorer and Larry never showed his ability to hit the jumper like we thought. Even last year. If he was going to lose PT to Parker, then i'm not seeing SK coming in and taking over the scoring roll.

I think Mick is saying this cuz he lost out on these other kids and has no scorer coming in. He is trying to take heat off himself. Eventually SK will be good. I, however am not counting on him to avg 15-20 a game.

We shall see.
That is just flat out not true. Larry Davis really turned it on in Big East play last year. It really seemed like the light was coming on. He was one of the leaders in Big East play in 3 point percentage.

Also, SK didn't lose time to Parker. Parker was seen as the back up point guard. SK is seen as a wing. He lost time to Deonte, Lance and Bishop, and maybe Dixon to an extent, but he was a disappointment this year.

Also, I think you are discounting the possibility that SK was better in practice than even our coaches expected him to be as the year went on.

I'm not saying SK is going to come in all the sudden and be a member of any all Big East team, but the argument that because he didn't play last year means he won't be any good next year is flawed to me.
Not Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #12
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Guilty View Post
That is just flat out not true. Larry Davis really turned it on in Big East play last year. It really seemed like the light was coming on. He was one of the leaders in Big East play in 3 point percentage.

Also, SK didn't lose time to Parker. Parker was seen as the back up point guard. SK is seen as a wing. He lost time to Deonte, Lance and Bishop, and maybe Dixon to an extent, but he was a disappointment this year.

Also, I think you are discounting the possibility that SK was better in practice than even our coaches expected him to be as the year went on.

I'm not saying SK is going to come in all the sudden and be a member of any all Big East team, but the argument that because he didn't play last year means he won't be any good next year is flawed to me.
BINGO!

I don't expect SK to be on the Big East Rookie team but it wouldn't shock me if he was either.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #13
cincinnati insanity

cincinnati insanity is on a distinguished road
I believe Sk will be a very good player, he has to much scoring ability i think in that area he will be fine, can he Defend is my concern considering he doesnt have the best athleticism in the world? I think he red shirted Sk to make LS happy. I remember them in highschool playing against eachother and SK was calling out LS and hit like 3 threes in his face. This kid will be fine our scoring will mainly come from the guards hell if CW hits 3 quarters of his layups he would average 20 himself.
cincinnati insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #14
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Cash will be a better finisher this year. It always takes some time to come back from a knee injury. In fact, he was much better at the end of the year than the beginning. If Mick can find a couple shooters in the 2011 class, Cash could be an extremely dangerous weapon. He is hard to keep out of the lane and could drive and kick all day long. Have to have shooters though.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Guilty View Post
When you say last year, surely you aren't talking about this past season are you? Larry Davis shot 10-48 for 3's in the Big East last year, that is 20%. I'm assuming you are talking about 08-09?
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #16
JasonS
Football Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
When you say last year, surely you aren't talking about this past season are you? Larry Davis shot 10-48 for 3's in the Big East last year, that is 20%. I'm assuming you are talking about 08-09?
I think that's a fair assumption. I can't believe anyone thinks Davis shot the ball well in the 2009-2010 season.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #17
Not Guilty
Elite Member

Not Guilty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
Yeah, sorry. I was referring to his sophomore year where he shot 38% from three in Big East play.
Not Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #18
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
I think that's a fair assumption. I can't believe anyone thinks Davis shot the ball well in the 2009-2010 season.
I think Davis would be the first to admit he didn't have the season he wanted. In spots, he was deadly, but then he would have droughts that limited his playing time. I'm sure he'll be working hard to improve upon that.
The one good thing about a new year is that it gives the players a chance to work on deficiencies.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #19
Catpaw

Catpaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Doesn't it seem really odd that Mick would say this though? It really reeks of pumping up another player because he knows the program is devoid of any good pub.

Honestly Mick doesn't have a great track record in these types of comments.
Catpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #20
ready2go
Elite Member

ready2go is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Not Guilty;13624]That is just flat out not true. Larry Davis really turned it on in Big East play last year. It really seemed like the light was coming on. He was one of the leaders in Big East play in 3 point percentage.

I'm not saying SK is going to come in all the sudden and be a member of any all Big East team, but the argument that because he didn't play last year means he won't be any good next year is flawed to me.[/QUOTE]

Again, Here is what Mick said:

Mick Cronin didn’t hesitate when he was asked who would pick up the scoring slack next season in the wake of the Lance Stephenson’s decision to leave UC for the NBA after one year.

“Sean Kilpatrick is the answer for that,” the UC coach said. “That’s why he was red-shirted.”

Now to me that is a little more than a good player off the bench or just another starter. He is counting on him to be the scorer for this team.

Mick is the one saying he is basically filling LS shoes, not me.
ready2go is offline   Reply With Quote