Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Top 5 NBA Players From UC

Jack Twyman – Jack was one of the original go-to guys in the NBA. He and Wilt Chamberlin were the 1st players to average more than 30 pts a game back in 59-60. He scored more than 15,000 for his career made 6 All Star squads and is in the Hall of Fame.

“The Big O” Oscar Robertson - Possibly the greatest basketball player ever on any level. The only player to average a triple double for an entire season. I could go on but here in Cincy his stats are well documented. In todays world of Sportscenter highlights and in house experts shouting that “last nights game was the best game ever” players from bygone eras don’t get there due. My list within a list would put MJ, Magic, Oscar, and Bill Russell as the greatest ever with a really tough fight for the fifth spot.

Kenyon Martin – Ten years in and still going Martin has been a force on D since the day he entered the league. He’s been known for his outspoken and brash behavior but has usually backed it up with his play. The last few years have been a kind of resurgence for him and it shows with Denver making the playoffs both seasons.

Nick Van Exel – Nick the Quick is one of the most underrated players of his era in my opinion. Still showing the swagger he had at UC he was one of my favorite players to watch during his NBA career. He was an all star, scored 12,000 career points, is 6th alltime in 3pointers made, and played with a flashy style anybody would enjoy.YouTube has a couple great highlight reels if you’re interested.

This last spot is hard to fill. Corie Blount, Pat Cummings and Ruben Patterson all had long NBA careers but none was exactly a standout player. If I had to pick one it would be Cummings based on nothing other than he doesn’t have the offcourt issues of the other two. Of course Jason Maxiel has time to work his way into the conversation.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/shoutout...-5-uc-players/
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
BigBearcatfan

BigBearcatfan is on a distinguished road
I'm going to have to have a talk with Dave.

How could heleae off Danny Forston? Played at 10 years on the west coast.
BigBearcatfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Daniel Drake

Daniel Drake is on a distinguished road
I love Corie Blount, but his best year saw him with under 5 ppg.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/...blounco01.html

I don't know about Cummings since I didn't watch much NBA back them, but he had 9.5 and 5.5
http://www.basketball-reference.com/...cummipa01.html

Ruben avged 10.7 and 4.2 a game. His defense was also very tight for a while there. I deducted points due to the reputation and off the court problems. Of course you could argue that putting up those numbers even with that makes him a better true player.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/...patteru01.html

Fortson
Then there is Danny. He just never seemed to apply himself and couldn't stay out of trouble or away from injuries. If you value rebounds more than scoring he is the man. I don't think his defense was stellar, but the guy could flat out board. Averaged a double double for a year and then went down hill. Probably the best of the 5 here when he was at his best.

Jason Maxiell
http://www.basketball-reference.com/...maxieja01.html
I thought he might be the best when showing flashes in Detroit, but hasn't been able to break through the line. I don't know if it is his size or if Detroit just keeps filling that position with guys paid much more than him.
Daniel Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
My list. No particular order

Nick Van Exel

Kenyon Martin

Oscar Robinson

Danny Fortson

Ruben Patterson
Old 05-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
Daniel Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
My list. No particular order

Nick Van Exel

Kenyon Martin

Oscar Robinson

Danny Fortson

Ruben Patterson
(I am hoping that this list above is a joke I am not part of, but if not)
Danny Fortson over a NBA hall of famer. That was my thought as well. Actually I was thinking about removing Oscar "Robinson" in favor of Kenny Saterfield or Art Long and his 4 NBA seasons.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Drake View Post
(I am hoping that this list above is a joke I am not part of, but if not)
Danny Fortson over a NBA hall of famer. That was my thought as well. Actually I was thinking about removing Oscar "Robinson" in favor of Kenny Saterfield or Art Long and his 4 NBA seasons.
I never got the chance to watch him play, which is why he is not on my list. Danny Fortson had a solid career.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
Daniel Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
I never got the chance to watch him play, which is why he is not on my list. Danny Fortson had a solid career.
Did you get to see Oscar "Robinson" play? Fortson had a decent career when he was healthy, but not what he was expected to do. I dont' think 8 and 7 is what GS expected with the 10th overall pick.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:32 AM   #8
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
If there is a list, Oscar should be on it.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:11 AM   #9
Red_N_Black_Attack

Red_N_Black_Attack is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by swg View Post
If there is a list, Oscar should be on it.
The discussion begins and ends with Oscar, Oscar is the list. An argument can be made he is one of the top 5 NBA players ever, along with Jordan, Wilt, and Byrd.

As for Top 5 UC players, Oscar, Twyman, Nicky and Kenyon are a pretty good start. I have read (sorry I did not see it live) that UC had some really good players both before and after the Big O, I am not familiar with the ABA and older NBA, but I would think at least one of those guys knocks out Corie, Danny, Ruben, or Maxiel. i just don't have the info or time to look it up. I am just hoping that we are not done adding to that list in the future....
Red_N_Black_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #10
TheShoeFits

TheShoeFits will become famous soon enough
This topic got me thinking...what about an all 90's team?

PG-Logan
SG-Van Exel
SF-Patterson
PF-Fortson
C-Martin

Bench

PG-Legree
SG-Burton
SF-Flint
PF-Brannen
C-Blount

How would this team hold up against other strong programs from the 90's? (UK, Duke, etc)
TheShoeFits is offline   Reply With Quote