Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2023, 08:28 PM   #21
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I think there's an argument to be made for it even if you are up 1 on the first FT or two on the second. The logic is that if you miss, the chances are almost nil that they can get the rebound and get off a good shot. You could argue the chances of you winning are higher making them take a 75 foot heave to win it, than them taking a three off the inbound to tie it and take it to OT.
Did they have a timeout left? That makes a big difference. If they had a timeout they can advance the ball with the clock stopped either way so it makes no sense to miss. If they didn't have a timeout I could see how it might be an ok idea, but I'd much rather take the opportunity to go up 3 or 4.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:43 PM   #22
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

That was our best defensive and worst offensive performance of the season. We scored just 0.85 points per possession, beating the previous low of 0.86 at NKU. The 0.78 points per per possession allowed was our second best after LaSalle, but adjusted for opponent was our best.

We got to the rim 23 times, which normally is great. We only converted 39% though. Lots of makeable looks that wouldn't go down. Luckily MAW and Nolley were hitting from three, converting 6 of 13. DDJ and Davenport were a combined 1-10 though, so we only shot 29% as a team.

The interior defense was incredible. We held SMU to 32% at the rim on 28 attempts. We had 12 blocks including 8 from Lakhin.

We committed 17 turnovers, many of which were careless and unforced. SMU only had 9 turnovers, but we still put up more shots because we outrebounded them by 11. Ody really struggled on offense, but he had 7 offensive rebounds (10 total). Similar story for Davenport who had 9 rebounds to go with only 2 points. Nolley and Lakhin had double digit rebounds.

MAW is probably the player of the game since he scored 16 extremely efficient points on only 9 shots and also had 4 steals while playing great defense. Lakhin's shot blocking was heroic though.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:51 PM   #23
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
At this point, we still have a shot at a top 3 finish in the league so every win counts for something no matter how ugly they come.

Would've liked to have seen a little more of Skillings late in the game.

With Oguama's recent offensive struggles it makes you wonder if Hensley has a shot of breaking back into the rotation or if he's out for good.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 11:37 PM   #24
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Prayers up for Gametime21 and his family. Im praying God give you peace and comfort during this difficult time. You a bearcat LEGEND and we got your back!
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 07:40 AM   #25
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Did they have a timeout left? That makes a big difference. If they had a timeout they can advance the ball with the clock stopped either way so it makes no sense to miss. If they didn't have a timeout I could see how it might be an ok idea, but I'd much rather take the opportunity to go up 3 or 4.
They had no TO's (though they could always pull what Wes did and call a TO anyway). But a TO still runs .3 seconds or so seconds off the clock and when there are only 1.2 seconds left that can make a difference.

In this specific case it made no sense. There's absolutely no reason to miss on purpose when you can go up 4 if you make both FT's.

Wes said it was Vik's decision, apparently Luka Doncic is his favorite player and Doncic has gotten some highlights purposefully missing FT's (in the right situation).

There's an argument to be made for it if you are up 1 before the first FT or 1 or 2 before the second FT.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 12:08 PM   #26
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
obviously it made no sense, at all. What shocks me is that Vik would do that without even checking with the coaching staff. Fortunately it didn't matter or it would have been a Cumberland vs Colgate highlight reel in the bad way. Vik also had his best defensive game ever so I guess he deserves some slack.

Davenport got 30 minutes to Skillings 12. Reed got 10. If I'm Skillings I'd be thinking hard about transferring when the season is over. I get that his shooting isn't there and he is a bit erratic but his defense, rebounding, and energy have been fantastic and he has been changing games when he gets in. I thought Miller started to gain some sense but apparently not. That might also be why they struggled so mightily to beat a bad SMU team.

Ody is also terrible. Need to find something better. I'd give Ezikpe another chance. Maybe even Sage, he can't be that much worse. Ody does try to crash the boards but he has terrible hands and terrible awareness. Obviously he is as close to Adam H. that I've seen when it comes to finishing around the basket. And on defense he just gets out of position and backed in too easily by his man.

Fortunately, SMU sucks.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 08:53 PM   #27
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
obviously it made no sense, at all. What shocks me is that Vik would do that without even checking with the coaching staff. Fortunately it didn't matter or it would have been a Cumberland vs Colgate highlight reel in the bad way. Vik also had his best defensive game ever so I guess he deserves some slack.

Davenport got 30 minutes to Skillings 12. Reed got 10. If I'm Skillings I'd be thinking hard about transferring when the season is over. I get that his shooting isn't there and he is a bit erratic but his defense, rebounding, and energy have been fantastic and he has been changing games when he gets in. I thought Miller started to gain some sense but apparently not. That might also be why they struggled so mightily to beat a bad SMU team.

Ody is also terrible. Need to find something better. I'd give Ezikpe another chance. Maybe even Sage, he can't be that much worse. Ody does try to crash the boards but he has terrible hands and terrible awareness. Obviously he is as close to Adam H. that I've seen when it comes to finishing around the basket. And on defense he just gets out of position and backed in too easily by his man.

Fortunately, SMU sucks.
What was name of Center on Yancy and Cash team SR yr? Lol, by tournament time they started yelling every time he got offense rebounds to pass ball out. Ody can at least dunk.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 06:25 PM   #28
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
What was name of Center on Yancy and Cash team SR yr? Lol, by tournament time they started yelling every time he got offense rebounds to pass ball out. Ody can at least dunk.
I get mixed up when it comes with who played with who but I remember Titus Rubles being one of the worst shooters/finishers wearing a basketball uniform. Shame he could have been really good if he just had a decent shot and could finish around the rim. Adam H was actually decent too, he just for the life of him could not make a layup.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 09:21 PM   #29
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

I'd guess you are thinking of Cheikh Mbodj, who made just 37% of his 2 pt shots in 2012. Adam H made 39% in 2008. Ody is at 47% this year, but a miserable 17% over the last four games.

Last edited by sedziobs; 01-17-2023 at 09:23 PM.