Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-21-2022, 11:20 PM   #11
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Team sucks. Time for bed.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:49 AM   #12
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
I'm not going to read too much into that game. Arizona is better than us at every position. Both teams were crazy hot shooting. Arizona's big men are very mobile and have excellent touch for their size. Between that and the guards shooting, we had to hit a lot of jump shots just to keep up.

It's very clear by this point that Lakhin is our best big man. Hensley is not good on the perimeter, but he showed some fight on the interior. Davenport and Nolley are similar players, tall streaky shooters who don't do much else. Nolley was hot tonight.

Skillings and Reed both showed potential. Honestly I'd like to see a DDJ/Skillings/Reed/Hensley/Lakhin lineup just to see what we've got.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:03 AM   #13
brothers24

brothers24 is on a distinguished road
I agree with this. Let our freshman get some more PT. We know what we have with JD, MAW, etc., Reed and Skillings definitely are showing some promise. Which gives me hope after I had to sit in Truist Arena and watch us get our butts handed to us.

Hope Vic is okay after that spill there at the end.

Overall though, I thought we battled hard, we just were clearly oversized and outmatched at every position. They weren't a 33 win team last year for no reason.

Hopefully we bring the same energy and grind tomorrow against OSU and come away with a win!
brothers24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 05:48 AM   #14
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Arizona put on a clinic offensively - especially in the 2nd half.

We were a much more competitive team with Vik on the floor than without him.

We'll have to accept that the 4-position is going to be a lost cause against good teams as Davenport can't defend a statue and Hensley is a black hole on offense.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 09:00 AM   #15
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Arizona put on a clinic offensively - especially in the 2nd half.

We were a much more competitive team with Vik on the floor than without him.

We'll have to accept that the 4-position is going to be a lost cause against good teams as Davenport can't defend a statue and Hensley is a black hole on offense.
The lack of a backup for Vik is our biggest issue. It's a massive drop-off from him to Ody/Kalu. It seems like Wes sees that and it was reflected in him putting Vik back in with foul trouble with tons of time left in both the first and second half.

We can debate if Ody or Kalu is better (personally I prefer Ody), but in the end it doesn't matter as neither is good enough to deserve any minutes. I'm ready to burn Sage's redshirt and/or play Hensley at the 5, something has to change. If the backup center is going to suck regardless, they might as well suck while giving experience to a guy who will be back next year.

I had high hopes that Ody would improve during the off-season (my expectations for Kalu were quite low). Turns out neither Ody or Kalu panned out and that leaves us with a massive void.

If we had a real backup center we could also give Lakhin some minutes at the 4 when we need size and to show the other team a different look (like Arizona did with Tubelis).
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 11:04 AM   #16
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
The lack of a backup for Vik is our biggest issue. It's a massive drop-off from him to Ody/Kalu. It seems like Wes sees that and it was reflected in him putting Vik back in with foul trouble with tons of time left in both the first and second half.

We can debate if Ody or Kalu is better (personally I prefer Ody), but in the end it doesn't matter as neither is good enough to deserve any minutes. I'm ready to burn Sage's redshirt and/or play Hensley at the 5, something has to change. If the backup center is going to suck regardless, they might as well suck while giving experience to a guy who will be back next year.

I had high hopes that Ody would improve during the off-season (my expectations for Kalu were quite low). Turns out neither Ody or Kalu panned out and that leaves us with a massive void.

If we had a real backup center we could also give Lakhin some minutes at the 4 when we need size and to show the other team a different look (like Arizona did with Tubelis).
Kalu gets more disappointing with each game. I admittedly drank the kool-aid during the offseason in hopes that he could take on a sizable role this year, but I don't see it happening.

Credit to him, he tries to make plays, but he is definitively not a viable option at the 5 for a competitive high major team.

EKU game aside, Ody looks like a shell of the junkyard dog that brought great energy to both ends of the court last year.

I'd be on board with trying Hensley as the back-up 5.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:15 PM   #17
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Put me on the Hensley at the 5 train. Part of that is because Hensley has not developed a perimeter game either on offense or defense so his game is more suited to the 5.

I think Nolley and Reed can play some at the 4.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:36 PM   #18
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
This game was so discouraging. Didn't matter what kind of shot AofU took: 3 pt, dunk, falling away, turn around...they seemed to hit them with ease.

For being a coach known for defense, I don't see Miller's team being very effective. When they score north of 100, you have to ask if you are really disrupting anything.

And not that we were hitting FTs, but I'm surprised we didn't try to get to the line more. Chucking up long distance shots can happen from anyone.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:55 PM   #19
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Wes can't coach at this level.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:57 PM   #20
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Put me on the Hensley at the 5 train. Part of that is because Hensley has not developed a perimeter game either on offense or defense so his game is more suited to the 5.

I think Nolley and Reed can play some at the 4.
You simply have too many guys that don't belong at this level. It takes real coaching to fit all these mis fits together. Still in disbelief we took the Indiana kid over my nephew Eric Gaines. He would've provided same D with more athleticism and ability drop 30s.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote