Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Crosstown Shootout

Saturday, December 10th, 2022
3:00 PM
Fifth Third Arena
ESPN2

The Bearcats (6-3, KenPom #71) host Xavier (6-3, KenPom #29) for the 90th edition of the Crosstown Shootout this weekend in Clifton.

The Musketeers’ three losses have all came at the hands of teams currently ranked in the AP Top 25 poll (Indiana, Duke, and Gonzaga), but they’ve still managed to beat two (near) top 50 KenPom teams already in Florida (#52) and most recently, West Virginia (#25).

Xavier returns 3 starters from last season's NIT Champion squad in 6'11 C Jack Nunge (15.2 ppg, 7.6 rpg), 6'9 F Zach Freemantle (13.0 ppg, 6.9 rpg), and 6'5 wing Colby Jones (15.1 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 5.8 apg).

The Musketeers rank 9th in KenPom's AdjO and have been one of the country's best 3-point shooting teams through the first month of the season as they are shooting 43% from deep.

The Bearcats lead the all-time series 51-38 but have not beaten Xavier since 2018 - Mick Cronin's last year in Clifton.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:07 PM   #2
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Not feeling positive in this one for the Bearcats. Sorry for the negative post.

XU was damn impressive in the games against Gonzaga and West Virginia.

That West Virginia team, which I remember better b/c I just watched it on Monday, is really one of the better teams I remember Bob Huggins having at that school. To look at the players you'd think they should have handled X easily. Well, they started to in the first half, but X was pretty balanced scoring and they just wore them down.

Our best shot is if we can get them in foul trouble and keep going to the line. Unless Davenport and Nolley have one of those unconscious shooting nights, we will not out rebound them for second chance points. I just don't see the rebounding on this team as strong as these guys.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 01:40 PM   #3
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
Not feeling positive in this one for the Bearcats. Sorry for the negative post.

XU was damn impressive in the games against Gonzaga and West Virginia.

That West Virginia team, which I remember better b/c I just watched it on Monday, is really one of the better teams I remember Bob Huggins having at that school. To look at the players you'd think they should have handled X easily. Well, they started to in the first half, but X was pretty balanced scoring and they just wore them down.

Our best shot is if we can get them in foul trouble and keep going to the line. Unless Davenport and Nolley have one of those unconscious shooting nights, we will not out rebound them for second chance points. I just don't see the rebounding on this team as strong as these guys.
I'm in the same boat as you. Seems like we'll need a perfect storm on both ends of the court just for the game to be competitive for 40 minutes.

The good news is that this is Xavier's first true road game of the season.

We need the home court advantage to work in our favor big time.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 05:58 PM   #4
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Xavier is shooting 43% from three on the season, good for second in the country. They don't shoot very many though, with only 28% of field goal attempts coming from behind the arc. They are excellent at getting to the rim, where they take 47% of their shots. That leads to a top ten offense in the nation.

They aren't a great defensive rebounding team and they turn it over more than average. So other than three point shooting and rebounding which are always important, the keys to the game will be interior defense and creating turnovers.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 02:44 PM   #5
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
MAW, DDJ, JD, and Gametime21 all need move on to program like UC Clermont.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 02:45 PM   #6
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Wes weak coaching doesn't make things better.
Old 12-10-2022, 02:46 PM   #7
TheRealMick
Elite Member

I can't wait until we get a PG that doesn't have look over at coach every possession. It's been over 15yrs.
Old 12-10-2022, 02:50 PM   #8
TheRealMick
Elite Member

College betting should be illegal outside of Vegas. Nolley took the payment today.
Old 12-10-2022, 02:58 PM   #9
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
MAW and DDJ at least play defense and play like they care. Davenport and Nolley on the other hand... I'd be okay with benching both of them. Davenport's shot selection is horrible and Nolley checks out if he's not getting open looks.

Skillings, Reed and Hensley may make more mistakes, but at least they play defense and give it their all.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 03:03 PM   #10
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
We don't run offense. How can you consistently beat good teams like that, even if we get better players? The warning signs were there when we hired Miller.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote