Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-10-2022, 07:12 PM   #21
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Loved the fire we showed down the stretch but the game was lost in the first half.

Davenport only playing 20 minutes was the most encouraging stat of the night.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 09:05 PM   #22
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Anyone got the +- breakdown?
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 10:58 PM   #23
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Anyone got the +- breakdown?
Ody +15
MAW +10
JD -1
Lakhin -2
Skillings -2
DDJ -3
Nolley -7
Reed -7
Hensley -18

https://gobearcats.com/documents/2022/12/10/2186737.PDF
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 11:05 PM   #24
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Ody +15
MAW +10
JD -1
Lakhin -2
Skillings -2
DDJ -3
Nolley -7
Reed -7
Hensley -18

https://gobearcats.com/documents/2022/12/10/2186737.PDF
I have a running tab going for the year. Ody was leading before the game. Hensley was actually 2nd and Skillings 3rd. VIK is the best of the starters at 4th. These other 3 guys offer something the starting lineup lacks. Mainly D and rebounding. JD is 5th somehow

Last edited by waterhead; 12-10-2022 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2022, 11:12 PM   #25
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I have a running tab going for the year. Ody was leading before the game. Hensley was actually 2nd and Skillings 3rd. VIK is the best of the starters at 4th. These other 3 guys offer something the starting lineup lacks. Mainly D and rebounding. JD is 5th somehow
My theory on JD (plus minus)...

He gets beat on D and has not been himself on offense so far. But maybe the team works better because of other things like communication, leadership, being in the spots he is supposed to be, gets the team jacked up, etc...IDK. But you would think with the eye test he should be way down the list. He was 3rd in plus minus this past game...and that is hard to understand...but it happened. It seemed like every time he came out we went on a run...but apparently we also went on runs when he was in because he was only -1 on the game.
Old 12-11-2022, 01:20 AM   #26
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
The worst part of Miller's coaching is not benching Davenport when he does stupid shit. How many times does he need to jack up a three with zero support on the floor if he misses?

There is scoring and then there's offense. This team needs offense. Get the offense together or nothing is going to happen with these bad news bears.

I read that Kenyon Martin tore into them at halftime for not playing like a team and he's exactly right. And Miller was quoted that it was the only halftime in 12 years he's talked so little about Xs and Os. That's pretty sad when your team plays so out of sorts.

Sean Miller is talking to his team all season about how they don't play with enough toughness and passion, they don't fight enough.

I'm glad Davenport sat and Ody got in there to balance out the front court so Vik wasn't double teamed so easily.

And I don't understand why a guy like Reed has to freelance so much to try to score instead of running something to help him get to the basket. Same with Nolley. These dudes are the athletes that should be driving with an opening on picks, not trying to beat their man one on one.

I knew this season was going to be rough, but it's just painful. And this is after they came back to tie. But there was so much wasted effort early on that there's little doubt why they lost.

Last edited by sirthought; 12-11-2022 at 01:23 AM.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 07:56 AM   #27
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It was the same last year, Davenport consistently preforms betters in +/- than on the eye test.

Hensley mainly played in the first half and the entire team sucked in the first half. In part why his +/- was so bad. But his season +/- was good relative to the others because he barely played in our blowout loss to OSU. The luck evening out I guess.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:08 AM   #28
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
The worst part of Miller's coaching is not benching Davenport when he does stupid shit. How many times does he need to jack up a three with zero support on the floor if he misses?

There is scoring and then there's offense. This team needs offense. Get the offense together or nothing is going to happen with these bad news bears.

I read that Kenyon Martin tore into them at halftime for not playing like a team and he's exactly right. And Miller was quoted that it was the only halftime in 12 years he's talked so little about Xs and Os. That's pretty sad when your team plays so out of sorts.

Sean Miller is talking to his team all season about how they don't play with enough toughness and passion, they don't fight enough.

I'm glad Davenport sat and Ody got in there to balance out the front court so Vik wasn't double teamed so easily.

And I don't understand why a guy like Reed has to freelance so much to try to score instead of running something to help him get to the basket. Same with Nolley. These dudes are the athletes that should be driving with an opening on picks, not trying to beat their man one on one.

I knew this season was going to be rough, but it's just painful. And this is after they came back to tie. But there was so much wasted effort early on that there's little doubt why they lost.
I think Wes has those plays in the book. The thing is he lets his guys do their own thing a lot and doesn't micromanage. In theory it's a good thing, it lets them take advantage of opportunities the playbook can't account for and to play fast. But the reality is we don't have the players for it. We don't have enough good decision makers.

I said it before, if you want to run that sort of scheme, great. I'm all for it. But bench the guys who don't run it right. You can't let Davenport chuck up bad shot after bad shot and keep giving him freedom. You can't let Nolley mentally check out from the game and keep giving him freedom. The announcer at one point singled Nolley out for not moving for an entire offensive possession. We are seeing why Nolley came to UC and not a bigger school, he's got the talent, but he's a selfish player.

You can't let those two be the leaders and examples to the other guys. Wes preaches one thing and then gives Davenport/Nolley 60 minutes combined per game to do the opposite. Sit them down and tell them you either get with the program or sit on the bench. I'd rather play the players who try to do the right thing, even if it means we take some losses while they are learning.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:59 AM   #29
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I think Wes has those plays in the book. The thing is he lets his guys do their own thing a lot and doesn't micromanage. In theory it's a good thing, it lets them take advantage of opportunities the playbook can't account for and to play fast. But the reality is we don't have the players for it. We don't have enough good decision makers.

I said it before, if you want to run that sort of scheme, great. I'm all for it. But bench the guys who don't run it right. You can't let Davenport chuck up bad shot after bad shot and keep giving him freedom. You can't let Nolley mentally check out from the game and keep giving him freedom. The announcer at one point singled Nolley out for not moving for an entire offensive possession. We are seeing why Nolley came to UC and not a bigger school, he's got the talent, but he's a selfish player.

You can't let those two be the leaders and examples to the other guys. Wes preaches one thing and then gives Davenport/Nolley 60 minutes combined per game to do the opposite. Sit them down and tell them you either get with the program or sit on the bench. I'd rather play the players who try to do the right thing, even if it means we take some losses while they are learning.
I agree on continuing to reduce JD's minutes. I'm not sure on Nolley. Does he take some plays off? Yes. I am okay with him taking some poessessions off on offense rather than on D. He played 36 minutes. I think he is a willing passer on offense and his usage rate is lower than DDJ and Vik (as well as Skillings and Kalu). Give me 100% on D and you can take a few plays off on offense. If he stands out on the perimeter he is taking his man out of the play.

Last edited by waterhead; 12-11-2022 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:04 AM   #30
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post

Good post!