Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2014 Recruiting Profiles
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #131
Ryno99
Elite Member

Ryno99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucdave View Post
Thinking back on some of the previous red shirts, it seems as though Mick allows the player to decide in the end. He might suggest it, but it comes down to what the player decides to do. I know it was that way with Morman as well as SK. I think Morman was thinking it over when he broke his foot in practice and the decision was made for him.
As I said I'm confident it has been discussed with Stewart, take it for what it's worth.
Ryno99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #132
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno99 View Post
I understand your thought makes sense, but it just isn't the case, think about the negative it would be to recruit a kid saying you're going to play then say well we wanted to Redshirt you all along. I know for a fact at times a red shirt is discussed in recruiting and I have it on pretty good info that it has been discussed with Stewart. It is the fair thing to do, and you sell it from other angles, it allows you to learn and be a better player in the long run which gives you a better shot at the NBA in the end.
you don't use red shirting in your recruiting speech. You allow the player to come in and compete for a spot. If in the end it doesn't look like he will garner much playing time that year you may suggest he red shirt and not waste a year of eligibility.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #133
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno99 View Post
As I said I'm confident it has been discussed with Stewart, take it for what it's worth.
if that is the case I don't hold out much he he lands here.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #134
JackBauer151
Epic Member

JackBauer151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JackBauer151
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
you don't use red shirting in your recruiting speech. You allow the player to come in and compete for a spot. If in the end it doesn't look like he will garner much playing time that year you may suggest he red shirt and not waste a year of eligibility.
Coaches will use it in their pitches to recruits. It is very uncommon for a 4* recruit to hear that pitch. It's more typically used for high level athletes that have little basketball skill or big men who know they are going to need time to develop (Kelvin Gaines). Obviously many other reasons can factor into a redshirt such as playing time, injuries, academics ect. However to pitch a highly rated recruit on redshirting does not seem like a very good strategy seeing as there are going to be other high majors going after him and will be telling him about the playing time he could compete for.
JackBauer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #135
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer151 View Post
Coaches will use it in their pitches to recruits. It is very uncommon for a 4* recruit to hear that pitch. It's more typically used for high level athletes that have little basketball skill or big men who know they are going to need time to develop (Kelvin Gaines). Obviously many other reasons can factor into a redshirt such as playing time, injuries, academics ect. However to pitch a highly rated recruit on redshirting does not seem like a very good strategy seeing as there are going to be other high majors going after him and will be telling him about the playing time he could compete for.
I understand that Jack. Thanks for your response. I feel we are a program under Mick that isn't going after projects anymore. Another reason why Coaches don't like to use red shirting in recruitment is because they can't predict the future. Injuries and team make up changes things season to season. Suppose he red shirts and the next year he is injured or another player commits that changes the red shirts opportunity. Lots of reasons to avoid red shirting. Of course your scenario concerning Gaines is a very good reason to use it. Hopefully we have grown beyond that strategy.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #136
ccmbearcat

ccmbearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
Not to mention, who says he'd redshirt? We need a scoring wing right now. He is just that.
Of course. If Mick is lucky enough to land him, there is zero chance he will redshirt. With Lawrence gone there will very likely be no redshirts this year unless there is a major injury.
ccmbearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #137
JackBauer151
Epic Member

JackBauer151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JackBauer151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmbearcat View Post
Of course. If Mick is lucky enough to land him, there is zero chance he will redshirt. With Lawrence gone there will very likely be no redshirts this year unless there is a major injury.
There absolutely is a chance he could redshirt. There is also a chance someone on the front line could redshirt as well. There are 5 players for two spots. I dont see two redshirts but if we have 13 scholarship players there are going to be some odd men out. There simply is not enough minutes for everyone. I would be shocked not to see a redshirt if we have 13.
JackBauer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #138
Grgbartell@yahoo.com

Grgbartell@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
Looks like USC is in the lead on this one. Hope I'm way off. Would love to see him at UC. No way he redshirts
Grgbartell@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #139
dp3113
Elite Member

dp3113 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmbearcat View Post
you think they are going to have a 12-13 man rotation? it is difficult to play 10 people, let alone 12-13

there will absolutely be at least 1 redshirt without any injuries. Injuries obviously could force more than that.
dp3113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #140
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp3113 View Post
you think they are going to have a 12-13 man rotation? it is difficult to play 10 people, let alone 12-13

there will absolutely be at least 1 redshirt without any injuries. Injuries obviously could force more than that.
I don't necessarily disagree but I think people should wait until after practices and exhibition games before trying to guess who is redshirting. I bet Mick doesn't even know at this point. A lot can happen between now and the start of the season.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote