Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-13-2021, 01:22 PM   #81
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
So the coach is recruiting because of his connections and that is a bad thing? .
Nothing wrong with having connections and using them to recruit. That's how this goes. But the problem is it appears his connections absolutely suck.

I expect better connections from a guy who coaches here. We gave this dude a 300% increase in pay to continue recruiting like he's playing in the Southern Conference.

This guy has minutes galore to give out to decent players, playing for a team in an above average conference, in a major city, with a brand new arena. And he's using this resources to land players team like UNCG, Wofford and Furman go after.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:44 PM   #82
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
Nothing wrong with having connections and using them to recruit. That's how this goes. But the problem is it appears his connections absolutely suck.

I expect better connections from a guy who coaches here. We gave this dude a 300% increase in pay to continue recruiting like he's playing in the Southern Conference.

This guy has minutes galore to give out to decent players, playing for a team in an above average conference, in a major city, with a brand new arena. And he's using this resources to land players team like UNCG, Wofford and Furman go after.
As good as it may sound we were never going to get 7 guys from the portal all starters for a top 50 squad. It was always going to be 2-3 impact guys and the rest were going to have to be depth and role players.

So I think we will get at least one of them and maybe 2. And I think Newman and Ody are very good rotation guys.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 02:00 PM   #83
MDW79

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
As good as it may sound we were never going to get 7 guys from the portal all starters for a top 50 squad. .
Don't recall ever asking for 7 of them. At this point I'd settle for 1 of them.

Like I said earlier, this is how far this program has fallen. A poster wants a few players that aren't exclusively from North Carolina and/or who would actually play 20+ minutes for a decent program. That's such an outlandish want that it gets branded as completely unreasonable.

This is what we can expect now I guess. Recruting and roster building like we're a mid-major. Low level players and regional recruiting.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:01 PM   #84
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Another thing about recruiting. You can't just go out there and start grabbing top 50 team talent willy nilly. They have to fit your philosophy and characteristics you are looking for. That probably eliminates about 75% of the portal right there.

Wes wants to see work ethic, insatiable desire to win before individual accolades, and toughness etc. He doesn't want prima donnas or self serving players. That is the culture he's creating and talented players that have the qualities he wants are not that easy to come by.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 02:34 PM   #85
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Like I said earlier, this is how far this program has fallen. A poster wants a few players that aren't exclusively from North Carolina and/or who would actually play 20+ minutes for a decent program. That's such an outlandish want that it gets branded as completely unreasonable.

This is what we can expect now I guess. Recruting and roster building like we're a mid-major. Low level players and regional recruiting.
McGinnis is from Alabama. Hensley is from Kansas. Those are the only players that Wes signed to UNCG out of high school and neither are from NC. He hasn't signed any players yet to UC out of high school. The other transfers started as underclassmen at ACC schools. Who cares if they are from NC. None of this has anything to do with players we recruit going forward.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 02:55 PM   #86
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

How many of these “top guys” are in the portal? Maybe 10? The guy has been here a month and you want him to start getting top guys at a school that hasn’t been a top program in 20 years? I thought ody was a great get. A big with ACC experience is a top target for a lot of schools. What players did you want us to get?
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 02:57 PM   #87
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It amazes me such how far this program as fallen. And not just under Miller, or Brannen.

We used to actually want legitimate big time players to come here. I'm not talking about us being Duke or Carolina, or UK. But still a team pulling some top 25 classes and landing high major players.

Now our fans are calling for Quinn Slazinski, who averaged 6 and 3 for for a UL team that didn't even make the tournament.

We're excited about Ody Aguama who played for a terrible Wake Forest team as their 6th or 7th guy.

We talking about a UNCG transfer because he snuck onto the top 150 on ONE recruiting service that no one can seem to figure out why.

This program is MILES from being anywhere close to a top 25 program. Like not even close. And everyone seems to think we're doing just great. It's like we've turned into Xavier from the 80's or early 90's.

Sorry for the rant, this isn't really just directed at you. I just can't believe people are calling for someone like Slazinski. Our brand new coach has failed to land one legitimate starter form the biggest transfer portal ever and we can't even set our sites higher than this turd for the final spot.

It's depressing. The UC basketball that I knew and loved for 30 years appears to be completely dead.
man. Cant wait to come back to these posts to call you an absolute moron in a year or so
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 02:59 PM   #88
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:

its very clear you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about or are just some bitter little child who again...has no idea what they are talking about
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:12 PM   #89
MDW79

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
man. Cant wait to come back to these posts to call you an absolute moron in a year or so
Yeah, ok bud. Good luck with that.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:18 PM   #90
MDW79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
How many of these “top guys” are in the portal? Maybe 10? The guy has been here a month and you want him to start getting top guys at a school that hasn’t been a top program in 20 years? I thought ody was a great get. A big with ACC experience is a top target for a lot of schools. What players did you want us to get?
Don't recall asking for "top guys".

Look, if you think these 5 guys we've added are the best we can do out of a portal that has over 1,000 players in it then more power to you. Agree to disagree.