Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-15-2020, 03:51 PM   #21
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I question these metrics if they are telling me Quadri was an excellent defender. He’s one of the worst I’ve ever seen. No one ever seen quad and said he is a good defender. No one. Maybe that was a sample size thing.

His last season at UC he defended well.

But zone is a little tougher to gauge because mick can hide him.

In this man to man stuff, it’s hard to hide your warts.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:52 PM   #22
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I question these metrics if they are telling me Quadri was an excellent defender. He’s one of the worst I’ve ever seen. No one ever seen quad and said he is a good defender. No one. Maybe that was a sample size thing.

if your guy just misses open shots in a small sample it will say you're a good defender, just like if your guy hits tough shots in a small sample it will say you're a bad defender.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:57 PM   #23
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
His last season at UC he defended well.

But zone is a little tougher to gauge because mick can hide him.

In this man to man stuff, it’s hard to hide your warts.
I never seen him defend well. He couldn’t move, didn’t know what was going on, and didn’t really try. I watched every minute of his career. Had to be the zone and maybe a smaller sample. There’s a reason he’s playing D3
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:59 PM   #24
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
if your guy just misses open shots in a small sample it will say you're a good defender, just like if your guy hits tough shots in a small sample it will say you're a bad defender.
But we’re getting well past the point of small sample size.

If guys are always getting “lucky” every time YOU guard them, it’s probably something to do with you.

I have zero issues with his limitations defensively, more so just wish we’d use him to his strength instead of letting teams exploit his weakness.

Synergy is the tool coaches use to scout. They see these numbers to and they immediately try and do things to exploit it.

Diarra defensively is better suited for this defense because he can erase mistakes.

But Vogt is so good offensively, you have to play him.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:02 PM   #25
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
i was talking about his quadri example
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:06 PM   #26
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:

If guys are always getting “lucky” every time YOU guard them, it’s probably something to do with you.

I have zero issues with his limitations defensively, more so just wish we’d use him to his strength instead of letting teams exploit his weakness.

Synergy is the tool coaches use to scout. They see these numbers to and they immediately try and do things to exploit it.

Diarra defensively is better suited for this defense because he can erase mistakes.

But Vogt is so good offensively, you have to play him.
I think we are all in agreement Vogt can’t play defense. Simply can’t move. Hope diarra keeps improving to where we can play him more. For this year and the future. I think diarra will be a big help against Memphis if he isn’t doing stupid stuff.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:15 PM   #27
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Synergy is a tool coaches use to scout. None of us has any idea how or for what purposes they are using it. I would guess defensive grades are supplementary at best. Video indexing seems like the most useful part, although teams might already use other software for that. For fans, it's just something fun to look at.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:23 PM   #28
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Synergy is a tool coaches use to scout. None of us has any idea how or for what purposes they are using it. I would guess defensive grades are supplementary at best. Video indexing seems like the most useful part, although teams might already use other software for that. For fans, it's just something fun to look at.
I agree. Metrics are fun to look at but without the whole story it’s hard to live and die by. We don’t know what the players are supposed to be doing. I know cronin would tell his guys to let certain players shoot. I’m not sure how the metrics could account for things like that.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:17 PM   #29
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree. Metrics are fun to look at but without the whole story it’s hard to live and die by. We don’t know what the players are supposed to be doing. I know cronin would tell his guys to let certain players shoot. I’m not sure how the metrics could account for things like that.
Great point.

Some of these surprised me, and I'm not claiming to be a basketball expert, but theres smart plays and dumb plays, and metrics have a hard time determining the impact of the right play at the right time, or wrong play at the wrong time. IE Harvey on defense, or Jarron on offense. Both seem off to me.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:25 PM   #30
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
Great point.

Some of these surprised me, and I'm not claiming to be a basketball expert, but theres smart plays and dumb plays, and metrics have a hard time determining the impact of the right play at the right time, or wrong play at the wrong time. IE Harvey on defense, or Jarron on offense. Both seem off to me.

Jarron’s offense isn’t off in the metrics.

He was off.

He’s had 4 straight kenpom offensive ratings of 100 or better since conference play started.

Before that, he had just 1 game in 12 games where he had a 100 or better and it was against drake.

Jarron has been inefficient most of the season, the numbers reflect that.