Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2010, 07:36 PM   #21
TheFranchise

TheFranchise is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatAlum1 View Post
Well, this qualifies as the first defensive post of the thread.

No one is diminishing what Huggins accomplished. He did some great things for UC basketball and helped re-establish us on the map. Not one person is trying to take that away from him.

Huggins did have shortfalls. He built this program back to national prominence, but struggled in his last 10 years in the NCAA Tournament. It really isn't that disputable.

Did I want to see Huggs go? No, not really. Was I getting anxious regarding the first weekend flameouts? Hell yes. Was I aware that it is an accomplishment to make the tournament and win a game 13 of 14 seasons in the Big Dance? Absolutely.

I don't get why you would compare Huggins to Mick. It really isn't comparable, so you are more or less making an argument equal to a fourth grader. Isn't there a show about that?

Huggins first 5 years > Mick's first 3.5 years. The situations may have been different, but wins/losses are all that matter.

Happy now?
First of all, that wasn't directed towards you, it was directed towards "dontmisshims" comment. I was simply putting the facts and in a way asking why he doesnt miss him. Look at what huggins did, and look at what mick as done, how can you not miss huggs? But yes, you can compare huggins and mick, how can you not? They both took over programs that were in turmoil, correct? Huggins brought us to national dominance in just a few years, Mick has had 5 years and hasnt done ANYTHING. Listen, I still support UC, and this post is not neccessarily wishing hugs were still here, i just think there were so many better hires we could have made instead of mick. Thats all im saying, not trying to cause a fight.
TheFranchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #22
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
One thing we need to remember is that Huggins did not coach in the BE, so his wins would be inflated somewhat. His teams were solid in the 90s, but most never reached it's full potential. I guess I'm grateful for Huggins to bring Cincy back to relevence, and now Mick needs to take it up a notch.
There is no reason why UC can't compete with just about every school aside from Duke, Kansas, and UNC (at least in terms of recruiting, if not wins).
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #23
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

BearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura aboutBearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFranchise View Post
But yes, you can compare huggins and mick, how can you not? They both took over programs that were in turmoil, correct?

Huggins brought us to national dominance in just a few years, Mick has had 5 years and hasnt done ANYTHING. Listen, I still support UC, and this post is not neccessarily wishing hugs were still here,

i just think there were so many better hires we could have made instead of mick. Thats all im saying, not trying to cause a fight.
1. Compare all you want. I could give a $hit less. However, I don't think it is apples to apples. Most will agree on that point.

2. Different situations. Surely someone that appears to know the history of the UC program such as you will admit that the circumstances were NOT the same at the point in time when both men took over.

3. Better hires? I agree. Hindsight is 20/20, is it not? Problem is finding established coaches that wanted the job for about $800,000-$1mil a year. We didn't and don't have UK type money.

4. Most glaring and obvious error of your post is that Mick hasn't even completed his 4th year. He has been here for about 3.667 years, right? How do you get that "he has been here 5 years?"

5. Objectivity my dear Watson. It's elementary.

6. I understand the best way to deflect hard facts is to bring up the shortfalls of another........I didn't go into my profession without learning a thing or two about argument tactics. It doesn't do any good to say Mick sucks when the facts of the thread have nothing to do with Mick.

That's my last post of the night on the matter because it will kill my buzz.
BearcatAlum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #24
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Don't kill the buzz.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #25
TheFranchise

First I would like to correct myself, I realize he has been here since 2006, not 2005, but my facts still stand. Anyways this game could get ugly real quick, just like 2 years ago at ND.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #26
swg
Epic Member

It's not looking good. UC looks lost on offense, turnover prone, and leaving passing lanes open. Not the look of a smart team.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #27
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
There is no debate. Mick does not know what a post season game is...
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #28
TheFranchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
There is no debate. Mick does not know what a post season game is...
Finally someone agrees with me. Yea huggins may have lost in the 2nd round a bunch of times, but hell, at least we were there. After tonight im disgusted with this team and this coach.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #29
Little Danny

Little Danny will become famous soon enough
I'm not going to deny Huggs did not get it done in the NCAA's, but I do want to defend UC's schedule in the 1990's. UC's schedule in the 1990's was not that bad. I'm not saying C-USA was beter than the Big East, but at the time C-USA was as good at the top as any other conference in the country. The bottom was bad. Memphis and Louisville were as strong as they are today. UC, Marquette, Charlotte were a lot better than they are today, making several tourny runs. Even teams like UAB, DePaul and St. Louis were a threat to beat anyone in the country on any given night back then. That's 8 solid squads. UC also would play some annual bouts with a top ranked opponent (ie. Duke, Arizona, UNLV, UMASS, Temple) and often finished on the winning side.
Little Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:09 AM   #30
DontMissHim
Elite Member

DontMissHim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFranchise View Post
Finally someone agrees with me. Yea huggins may have lost in the 2nd round a bunch of times, but hell, at least we were there. After tonight im disgusted with this team and this coach.
You guys were ok with losing to a team we shouldnt have every year in the post season, as long as we were there-I wasnt. It was humiliating year in year out and it was getting old. We needed to go in a new direction. I am not happy with things now and I dont think Mick looks like the answer but I was also sick of underachieving every year and being a laughing stock in the NCAA tournament.

Huggins didn’t get the reputation of not being a tournament coach for nothing-not beating a seed higher then you EVER is bad. Real bad. Again- Mick isn’t the answer but I certainly was not content with Huggins either….Maybe I just have higher expectations of UC basketball, possibly too high I suppose.
DontMissHim is offline   Reply With Quote