Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #91
CaptDale
Elite Member

CaptDale is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
As always I take the W and move on. Now my rant. We can talk scheme all we want to, and I even agree with most of what is said, but these guys just totally lose focus, fail to play smart basketball, and stand around more than any team I've seen this season. They struggle when they stand around period end of story. It freakin drives me nuts!!!!! There was a posession late, one of Cash's step back 3 moments, when the announcer said, "They couldn't find Kilpatrick." I thought couldn't find him? He has stood in the same place the last 3 posessions and made no effort to get open!! Find him? The pigeons could have built a nest on him!! That's not to pick on Sean, they all do it, but I was going crazy!! They're up 20 and start throwing the ball away, shooting quick 3's instead of looking for a good shot and running clock, and not moving. Can't tell you how pissed I was. Then the game ended and we won. I thought well 6-3 in league isn't too bad. Fact is that's all that matters. If you have to win ugly to win, win ugly. Just keep winning.
All true and I agree until your last couple of comments - the only reason today was a "W" is because it was Seton Hall. Virtually all of our remaining Big East opponents would have wiped the court with our uniforms!
Once we get a lead, we need to play with renewed enthusiasm and pad that margin until the final buzzer. Don't start killing the clock and don't start popping 3's. There was no hi/low post play today like last game. And, the man-to-man "D" was lacking. I think Mick is running out of ideas.
CaptDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:39 AM   #92
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
You can't go 10 minutes without scoring some freaking points. You can't go 0-12 during a 10 minute stretch and expect to be a good team, period. Its everybody's fault from the coaches and players. Coaches have to call a timeout and draw up a good play to get a bucket or foul amd the players have to execute. But we see none of that. I realize we wont be stellar on offense but the last 12 minutes of yesterday was awful. If we do that against a NCAA tourney team, we lose. Period. At this stage in the season and with the players we have, there is no reason for it to happen and yet it happens very consistently. As a fan it pisses me the hell off and is unacceptable for a big div. I school to continually have this problem. What's even more maddening is that I see nothing being done to correct the problem.

I love Cronin but when I post game comments and he said, " we got a big lead too early." That pisses me off beyond words. What coach would say that, especially against Seton hall? Uhhhh coach how about your team actually maintains a comfortable lead for once. G'town didn't have a problem keeping a 20 point lead on them a few days ago. If Cronin keeps sweeping these glaring problems under the rug we will lose a lot of our remaining games.

Last edited by UCalum08; 02-03-2013 at 05:58 AM.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:21 AM   #93
CPAW29

CPAW29 is on a distinguished road
Just looking ahead at there schedule, there next nine games might have two for sure wins but seven of those games will be tough. The bearcats have to start cleaning up whatever problems they have quickly
CPAW29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #94
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAW29 View Post
Just looking ahead at there schedule, there next nine games might have two for sure wins but seven of those games will be tough. The bearcats have to start cleaning up whatever problems they have quickly
First of all no games in this league are a sure win. There is a reason there are so many teams bunched together. If the bearcats would move and attack on a regular basis they'd be dangerous and hard to beat. Their droughts are almost always caused by 2 things: Turnovers and standing around while one guy dribbles. When the Bearcats move they get good shots and the offense, while not devastating, is efficient.

Because the Bearcats don't look pretty they don't get the respect they deserve. I've watched so many so called good teams that have the same issues as UC or who yes, may score 80, but give up 70 a night. Mizzouri and Illinois were being celebrated early and now Illinois is struggling to stay afloat for a bid and Mizzouri has been blown out in at least 3 of their losses. Last week it was Ole Miss and Villanova and their bubble got popped.

Duke has not looked good for 2-3 weeks. Indiana hit a bad patch and aren't as good away from home. Kansas is solid but very beatable. OSU can't score. Only Florida seems to be good in all phases right now.

This team is 18-4 and by any account has played a solid schedule.They did what Cuse couldn't and won at Pitt. They beat a very good Oregon team, with all it's parts in place, on a neutral court. They may be the best road team in the nation over the last season and a half. They can't shoot, dribble or pass and yet they're 18-4. What that says is they are tough and they know how to win. I think Mick, his staff and the players deserve respect for that.

There is a helluva of story here in Cincinnati. From near destruction to 70 wins and counting in just over the past 2 1/2 seasons. Mick Cronin is still young and got his 200th win. Where would he be if he hadn't chosen to take over a program he knew would lose for 2-3 years? His players may not play pretty, but they are every bit as determined and tough as their coach. It's a shame everyone gets caught up in the aesthetics and misses the blue collar winner Mick's built here in Cincinnati. It really is.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #95
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Folks I hate to rain on the We will be lucky to win x of our remaining games parade but there are no easy wins in this conference. Especially road games.Look at the scores of our competitors. Anybody see ND and DePaul. Didn't the then No. 1 team Louisville lose 3in a row? Look can we play better sure but this league is survival of the fittest. It's is a gauntlet. There are no pasties or sure wins. If you think that isn't mentally and physically draining your fooling yourself. This team is physical and mentally tough. Offensively they have issues but they never quit and they guard and board. Mick has them ready to play. At the end of 40 minutes they are more often than not on top. They aren't the most talented team but they play and get wins.enjoy the wins in this league everyone you get is well earned.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #96
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
First of all no games in this league are a sure win. There is a reason there are so many teams bunched together. If the bearcats would move and attack on a regular basis they'd be dangerous and hard to beat. Their droughts are almost always caused by 2 things: Turnovers and standing around while one guy dribbles. When the Bearcats move they get good shots and the offense, while not devastating, is efficient.

Because the Bearcats don't look pretty they don't get the respect they deserve. I've watched so many so called good teams that have the same issues as UC or who yes, may score 80, but give up 70 a night. Mizzouri and Illinois were being celebrated early and now Illinois is struggling to stay afloat for a bid and Mizzouri has been blown out in at least 3 of their losses. Last week it was Ole Miss and Villanova and their bubble got popped.

Duke has not looked good for 2-3 weeks. Indiana hit a bad patch and aren't as good away from home. Kansas is solid but very beatable. OSU can't score. Only Florida seems to be good in all phases right now.

This team is 18-4 and by any account has played a solid schedule.They did what Cuse couldn't and won at Pitt. They beat a very good Oregon team, with all it's parts in place, on a neutral court. They may be the best road team in the nation over the last season and a half. They can't shoot, dribble or pass and yet they're 18-4. What that says is they are tough and they know how to win. I think Mick, his staff and the players deserve respect for that.

There is a helluva of story here in Cincinnati. From near destruction to 70 wins and counting in just over the past 2 1/2 seasons. Mick Cronin is still young and got his 200th win. Where would he be if he hadn't chosen to take over a program he knew would lose for 2-3 years? His players may not play pretty, but they are every bit as determined and tough as their coach. It's a shame everyone gets caught up in the aesthetics and misses the blue collar winner Mick's built here in Cincinnati. It really is.
jeff, we must have been posting at the same time. Couldn't agree more. Mick was a great hire and he revived Cindy hoops.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #97
CPAW29

CPAW29 is on a distinguished road
I think mick has done a great job in his 7 years, I wouldn't question that and wouldn't trade him for another coach. We all know this team still has tweaking to do but march is getting closer. Us as fans expressing concern is not blasting mick, its showing passion for the team.
CPAW29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #98
nparker1
Elite Member

nparker1 is on a distinguished road
This team has fought/scratched through every game this year...Syracuse couldn't eat Pitt at Pitt yesterday and Syracuse was without 3 of their players, and UC almost knocked off the 'Cuse in the dome when only 1 player was out...

I would really like to see Parker regain some of his confidence...he has been playing his role, but doesn't seem to have the swagger he had at the end of last season or even in the beginning of the year...

I am excited for the rest of this season...
Go Bearcats
nparker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #99
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAW29 View Post
I think mick has done a great job in his 7 years, I wouldn't question that and wouldn't trade him for another coach. We all know this team still has tweaking to do but march is getting closer. Us as fans expressing concern is not blasting mick, its showing passion for the team.
Exactly my feelings. I love Mick and don't want any other coach. My problem is the UC teams the past 3 years have never, ever, been able to play with a "big lead" against a BE team. Especially this year, there is no reason it still is happening. It also gets frustrating when coach basically just throws the problem under the rug and doesn't seem concerned about fixing it. I am not asking for offensive perfection but not being able to play with leads will bite this team in their arse. You can say how tough the BE is and there are always close games, which I agree but playing with 20 point lead and giving it up so easily the way we do is unacceptable.

I love that our team is tough and knows how to grind out wins but with the senior leadership on this team they should know how to play with a lead. A bigger question is, is this how its always going to be with Cronin? From a coaches perspective you would think you would want to change it.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #100
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
The offense has to become more efficient. You cannot go 4-6 minutes without any points.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote