Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What seed will UC get?
1-2 9 14.52%
3 27 43.55%
4 15 24.19%
5 9 14.52%
6 2 3.23%
7 or worse 0 0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #411
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
I'll take playing in Pittsburgh or Detroit against a a team with talent who underachieved over playing in Boise or San Diego against a team with talent who performed well. Not to mention an easier first round opponent.

We're a lock for the tournament, so we might as well just lose the rest of our games. Then we'll be a team with talent that vastly underachieved.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #412
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

In this morning's bracketmatrix, we are the second 3 seed along with Auburn, Texas Tech and Tennessee. Our resume seems to be comfortably ahead of the 4 seed teams (Wichita St, Clemson, West Virginia, Arizona). We have more Group 1 wins than each of those except WVU, who has 8 losses (including one bad one).

Losing at Wichita St could very well move them up, but not necessarily at our expense if the other 3 seeds pick up losses as well.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:36 PM   #413
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
In this morning's bracketmatrix, we are the second 3 seed along with Auburn, Texas Tech and Tennessee. Our resume seems to be comfortably ahead of the 4 seed teams (Wichita St, Clemson, West Virginia, Arizona). We have more Group 1 wins than each of those except WVU, who has 8 losses (including one bad one).

Losing at Wichita St could very well move them up, but not necessarily at our expense if the other 3 seeds pick up losses as well.
If WSU beats us 3 times (including AAC title game) there's no way we get ranked ahead of them. I highly doubt two AAC teams get 3 or higher seeds.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:07 PM   #414
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Excellent loss for us tonight. Got to think of UNC loses at Duke we will be looking good for that 2... we HAVE to win @ Wichita. I really don't want to drop all the way to a 4.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:17 AM   #415
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I'll take playing in Pittsburgh or Detroit against a a team with talent who underachieved over playing in Boise or San Diego against a team with talent who performed well. Not to mention an easier first round opponent.

We're a lock for the tournament, so we might as well just lose the rest of our games. Then we'll be a team with talent that vastly underachieved.
Me and some buddies have agreed to go to any of the following cities to watch UC, Nashville, Pitt, Detroit, Charlotte.

So knowing my luck, we will get shipped to Boise or Witchita.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #416
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Excellent loss for us tonight. Got to think of UNC loses at Duke we will be looking good for that 2... we HAVE to win @ Wichita. I really don't want to drop all the way to a 4.
I agree. I would love to win it. I would be a little surprised if we did. hard to beat any good team on the road. not impossible but hard
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:57 AM   #417
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Looking at the current projected seeds on bracketmatrix, I'm afraid we still might get shipped west even with a protected seed. The selection committee assigns sites in order based on the seed list:
Quote:
In “true seed” order, the committee then assigns each team (and, therefore, all teams in its bracket group—e.g., seeds 1, 8, 9, 16) to first-/second-round sites.
https://www.ncaa.com/content/di-prin...res-selection/

Most of the teams above us are from the east and will fill those sites first. Here's my mock rundown:

1 Villanova - Pittsburgh
2 Virginia - Charlotte
3 Kansas - Wichita
4 Xavier - Pittsburgh
5 Duke - Charlotte
6 Purdue - Detroit
7 UNC - Nashville
8 Michigan St - Detroit
9 Auburn - Nashville
10 Cincinnati - Wichita
11 Tennessee - Dallas
12 Texas Tech - Dallas
13 West Virginia - Boise
14 Wichita St - Boise
15 Clemson - San Diego
16 Ohio St - San Diego

Looks like we need to get a 2 seed or the top 3 seed to stay close to home. A 3 seed likely puts us in the plains, and a 4 seed probably puts us out west.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:46 PM   #418
Bearcat09

Bearcat09 is on a distinguished road
Is it true if you are a protected seed, or a certain seed you send the committee your top locations? Then, they place you at a location based on your preference? For example, UC and X are about the same distance to Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Nashville, but it is up to them to rank those cities by preference. I feel like I have heard this before, but can't remember if it is correct.
Bearcat09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:07 PM   #419
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat09 View Post
Is it true if you are a protected seed, or a certain seed you send the committee your top locations? Then, they place you at a location based on your preference? For example, UC and X are about the same distance to Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Nashville, but it is up to them to rank those cities by preference. I feel like I have heard this before, but can't remember if it is correct.
That's interesting. I have never heard that, and I have no idea if it's true or not. The bracketing principles document talks about "areas of natural interest", but doesn't specify how they are determined.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #420
gav

gav is on a distinguished road
I think we have a legit chance at a 2 seed
gav is offline   Reply With Quote