Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-05-2021, 10:51 AM   #191
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
When I say toughness I mean defense. Because defense Is about will. It’s about ego. It’s about trying hard every possession when your exhausted. You will never find a great defense that’s isn’t also tough.
I would say defense is about discipline. Trying hard when you're exhausted is how you get exploited by patient, methodical offenses. Toughness is about being unfazed by an aggressive opponent and maintaining discipline. Toughness is the opposite of energy, intensity, and effort. It's the antidote.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:52 AM   #192
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Gonzaga is unattainable IMO

So which other non power schools have a consistent culture we could look too?

Houston ?
WSU?
VCU?

All those teams have an identity to survive with toughness when you can’t always get top tier talent.

And Gonzaga gets top tier talent, it took a long while to build that program up. You won’t get that same time at UC

Ohhh Gonzaga though. Going back to 2013, they’ve had a top 30 defense in every year minus one and even then, that was top 50

Gonzaga even had the #1 defense in the country a few years ago.

So like... if you want to be a big time program that isn’t up & down all the time then you gotta play defense. And not just defense. You need to play elite defense.

I’m convinced that John brannen couldn’t coach a top 10 defense with 5 kawai Leonard’s. They’d still get back doored, there still press only to allow a wide bucket in the lane.

When I say toughness I mean defense. Because defense Is about will. It’s about ego. It’s about trying hard every possession when your exhausted. You will never find a great defense that’s isn’t also tough.

Success in the non power leagues will always come back to defense and culture.
Why is Gonzaga unattainable? We were Gonzaga 20 years ago.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:55 AM   #193
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Why is Gonzaga unattainable? We were Gonzaga 20 years ago.
All it takes is one kid to buy in. Or one run. It’s really hard and it takes years, you don’t turn into it over night but it can happen anywhere. The schools that you think of as powerhouses didn’t start that way
Old 01-05-2021, 10:55 AM   #194
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
UCLA is a power school. If we're limiting ourselves to comparisons with non-power schools, let's stop talking about UCLA. Ok?
I comparing 2nd year coaches. What they inherited. Are they progressing?

I’d say Bama fans feel good about the Oats hire
I’d say ark fans good about the musselman hire
I’d say UCLA fans feel good about mick hire

But reading multiple message boards, there is more than just a few voices of resistance who are unhappy so far with Brannen.

I’m not expecting championships in year 2 but I am expecting a direction and progression. And I’ve not seen much.

But I go by what I see. If UC comes out and gets a road sweep this week, I’ll be ecstatic. Because the team will have grown & gotten better. But right this Team and coach are lost until found
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:58 AM   #195
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:

But reading multiple message boards, there is more than just a few voices of resistance who are unhappy so far with Brannen.

I’m not expecting championships in year 2 but I am expecting a direction and progression. And I’ve not seen much.

But I go by what I see. If UC comes out and gets a road sweep this week, I’ll be ecstatic. Because the team will have grown & gotten better. But right this Team and coach are lost until found
Did the other teams have 6-7 mid major players on the roster? I don’t know, I’m asking.maybe they did
Old 01-05-2021, 11:01 AM   #196
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
All it takes is one kid to buy in. Or one run. It’s really hard and it takes years, you don’t turn into it over night but it can happen anywhere. The schools that you think of as powerhouses didn’t start that way
Dude. Before brannen started here? UC was known as one of 3 or 4 teams that were considered a power school even though they were in a power league.

Like us, zags, Dayton, WSU and now Houston

We were already on our way. Now brannen is seemingly losing all momentum. When you lose in the AAC they will put more and more of your games on ESPN+

He needs to Carry the torch not let it go out and try to relight it
Old 01-05-2021, 11:11 AM   #197
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Did the other teams have 6-7 mid major players on the roster? I don’t know, I’m asking.maybe they did
I quit this argument. You win. Uc is great. This whole season is mick’s fault. John has this team humming. 2021 will be a top 10 class. Defense looks fantastic. Chris Vogt deserves to start & play 40 min.

Just win and all my gripes go away
Old 01-05-2021, 11:23 AM   #198
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

The list of top non-power schools isn't all that long. For simplicity, here's the top 50 teams on Torvik from last year:

Gonzaga, Dayton, San Diego St, Houston, BYU, Wichita St, Utah St, St Marys, Richmond, Cincinnati, St Louis

There's a wide variety of styles in there. Gonzaga, Dayton, and BYU had top 10 offenses (St Marys was 14th). Houston and Wichita St had top 20 defenses (St Louis was 35th).

San Diego St and St Marys were two of the slowest tempos in the country. Gonzaga, BYU, and Wichita St had high tempos.

Houston and St Louis were two of the best offensive rebounding teams in the country, BYU and Richmond were two of the worst. Gonzaga, Utah St, and St Marys were some of the best defensive rebounding teams in the country, Cincinnati was one of the worst.

Cincinnati and Wichita St had a top 15 2pt defense, St Marys and Richmond were outside the top 100 (Gonzaga was 88th).
Old 01-05-2021, 11:25 AM   #199
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
I quit this argument. You win. Uc is great. This whole season is mick’s fault. John has this team humming. 2021 will be a top 10 class. Defense looks fantastic. Chris Vogt deserves to start & play 40 min.

Just win and all my gripes go away
No one claimed one of those things. Not one. Find me one be where somebody says it’s all micks fault, this team is humming, 2021 will be a top 10 class, defense looks great, or anyone that says Vogt is good.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:31 AM   #200
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

You're talking about so many things that no one can make any sense of it, and very little of it is actually about UC.

Quote:
So which other non power schools have a consistent culture we could look too?
Success in the non power leagues will always come back to defense and culture.
Quote: