Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Kallbrenner,Loveday or iriel should be priority #1 for 2020 class
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:18 AM   #12
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Kadary Richmond is a kid I would like to have. Only a 3 star but looks good. We offered, not sure how much interest
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:33 AM   #13
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Next year they loose Sorolla, McNeal, both Cumberlands and Tre Scott. Then possibly a transfer or two (maybe). So with the open scholarship now that would be 6. Mike Saunders will take one so that brings it down to 5, so as everyone know this 2020 class will have to be special. I am a fan of leaving an open scholly open for "Zach Harvey" situations.

I would love to get either Kalkbrenner or Loveday, Patrick Iriel of John Hugley and then Trey Galloway and Anthoney Leal to round out the class... Do I think this will happen... probably not but a guy can hope. Either way I think we get a few of the guys I named. Also maybe a grad transfer depending on team needs at the time.

Also on this Zach Harvey thing I still see these so called experts picking him to come here, either way I am over it at this point... I hope he comes but if he doesn't oh well I am ready to ride with the team they have right now. I know it doesn't matter what I think but damn I just want to know what's going on regardless if he goes to UC or not haha.
At this point in time I don't see Harvey as a high impact guy for this year and I don't think we lose much with Hardnett or the coach would not have entertained Harvey. I think 90% of our minutes are probably still in place for the current roster. Hardnett would have probably gotten about 5% and that just means his 5% will go to guys who were already seen as better options. That is addition by subtraction IMO (except maybe emergency minutes if the bigs are in foul trouble or injured).

Harvey is both late to the game and also injured so maybe we can just move his potential minutes around to guys like Moore, MAW, Davenport, Gillam, McNeal etc. Or maybe we just play Williams and the Cumberlands more minutes (another addition by subtraction thing for this year only).

I think we have what we need and Harvey would just give us more options. I want Harvey for 2020 and beyond but this year it's not as big of a deal if we lose him.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:43 AM   #14
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
At this point in time I don't see Harvey as a high impact guy for this year and I don't think we lose much with Hardnett or the coach would not have entertained Harvey. I think 90% of our minutes are probably still in place for the current roster. Hardnett would have probably gotten about 5% and that just means his 5% will go to guys who were already seen as better options. That is addition by subtraction IMO (except maybe emergency minutes if the bigs are in foul trouble or injured).

Harvey is both late to the game and also injured so maybe we can just move his potential minutes around to guys like Moore, MAW, Davenport, Gillam, McNeal etc. Or maybe we just play Williams and the Cumberlands more minutes (another addition by subtraction thing for this year only).

I think we have what we need and Harvey would just give us more options. I want Harvey for 2020 and beyond but this year it's not as big of a deal if we lose him.
Agreed... I am just impatient haha.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #15
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
I'LL be shocked if we can pull Leal and/or Galloway from IU/ND. It would be welcomed but strong Hoosier roots in those two.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:47 AM   #16
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Kadary Richmond is a kid I would like to have. Only a 3 star but looks good. We offered, not sure how much interest
This kid intrigues me. I don't know how vested we are in him, but he is a prototypical big guard that can get to the hole. Kind of reminds me of Dantez Walton over at NKU.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:20 AM   #17
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin City View Post
I'LL be shocked if we can pull Leal and/or Galloway from IU/ND. It would be welcomed but strong Hoosier roots in those two.
There are a lot of suitors for these guys but we don't get them if we don't show the interest. We lose that battle 100% of the time if we don't try. I don't think a lot of time has been wasted on them that could be given to other "more likely" candidates. Brannen just keeps getting kids on campus to listen to our pitch...and that is likely going to pay off at some point or another. Someone is either going to like what they hear, what they see in campus facilities, or what they are being shown on tape as how they fit into our system.

It could just be one of these things that gets a kid to commit even if it's not one of these two guys.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:30 AM   #18
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
There are a lot of suitors for these guys but we don't get them if we don't show the interest. We lose that battle 100% of the time if we don't try. I don't think a lot of time has been wasted on them that could be given to other "more likely" candidates. Brannen just keeps getting kids on campus to listen to our pitch...and that is likely going to pay off at some point or another. Someone is either going to like what they hear, what they see in campus facilities, or what they are being shown on tape as how they fit into our system.

It could just be one of these things that gets a kid to commit even if it's not one of these two guys.
I mean look at what Rehfeldt is doing...it's just another selling point. Recruits can come in and see past or current players come in looking like the Pillsbury doughboy and leaving looking like Superman. Not every program focuses so much on body transformation.

UC history and tradition is another big time sell. I don't care if the kids were not alive to experience it...it's still hanging from the walls and visible on recruit visits. He's going after local guys as well which is a selling point to at least a few of them. Who knows what aspect of recruiting is going to appeal to the recruit until or unless you get them on campus.

There is a lot to sell!!
Old 06-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #19
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I mean look at what Rehfeldt is doing...it's just another selling point. Recruits can come in and see past or current players come in looking like the Pillsbury doughboy and leaving looking like Superman. Not every program focuses so much on body transformation.

UC history and tradition is another big time sell. I don't care if the kids were not alive to experience it...it's still hanging from the walls and visible on recruit visits. He's going after local guys as well which is a selling point to at least a few of them. Who knows what aspect of recruiting is going to appeal to the recruit until or unless you get them on campus.

There is a lot to sell!!
Outside of 5 rebuilding years (2005-2009) we have been to 23 of 23 NCAA tourneys. Not a lot of deep tourney runs but it's another selling point. Some NBA guys...some All Americans (Fortson, Martin, Kilpatrick, Logan) have walked through our doors in those years (and a few more in past years). One of the best NCAA players of all time as well. Maybe Cumberland can get some love this year whether it's first team or honorable mention.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #20
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Outside of 5 rebuilding years (2005-2009) we have been to 23 of 23 NCAA tourneys. Not a lot of deep tourney runs but it's another selling point. Some NBA guys...some All Americans (Fortson, Martin, Kilpatrick, Logan) have walked through our doors in those years (and a few more in past years). One of the best NCAA players of all time as well. Maybe Cumberland can get some love this year whether it's first team or honorable mention.
I think our conference is a decent sell as well. Losing Uconn hurts in perception but look at the coaches and you can see a conference on the rise. Cronin and Hurley are gone but look at what Penny is doing? Look at Sampson, Marshall, Dawkins, Gregory, Hunter, Jank, etc. Of course Brannen now. For a smart coach with selling skills we can show recent competition with the PAC 12 and maybe even Big East when pitched in the right way. Spin it...I don't care...we can spin the info in a pretty good way if we want. You have to spin the numbers to make it look good...what else would you be doing as a coach?