Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2019, 06:11 AM   #121
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
So if Brooks does transfer.... who’s everyone’s favorite to replace him. Nsoseme? Diarra? Prince?
hopefully there is a grad transfer cause none of those guys are it.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:48 AM   #122
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I was just using the current roster as it stands right now.

Last edited by cincyalum2014; 04-16-2019 at 07:25 AM.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:18 AM   #123
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Nsoseme has a broken thumb for the first half of the year and a numb ankle for the second half so I’m gonna give him a pass on his sophomore season, diarra looks way more coordinated than a year ago he is improving but he’s still got a ways to go defensively
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:27 AM   #124
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
Nsoseme has a broken thumb for the first half of the year and a numb ankle for the second half so I’m gonna give him a pass on his sophomore season, diarra looks way more coordinated than a year ago he is improving but he’s still got a ways to go defensively
If Diarra still has "a ways to go" going into his third year with the team, I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope. He should be ready to contribute a lot, immediately when next season begins...& I think he will - at least I hope. A guy with his size and agility, who has been working with the team, coaches, trainers etc. should be able to contribute after 2+years even if he never played basketball in his life
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #125
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think Brooks was the only true center on the roster. Brooks gave us a nice presence inside, although at times he was really soft, he was still able to block and contest shots. If he leaves and no one comes in we may be playing pretty small next year. Nsoseme and Diarra are 6'9, Scott and Laquill are 6'8, and Prince is 6'7. Now I know they aren't short but it helps having a 7 footer like brooks protecting the rim and he improved tremendously last year.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:38 AM   #126
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
If Diarra still has "a ways to go" going into his third year with the team, I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope. He should be ready to contribute a lot, immediately when next season begins...& I think he will - at least I hope. A guy with his size and agility, who has been working with the team, coaches, trainers etc. should be able to contribute after 2+years even if he never played basketball in his life
Offensively I think he is good to go, I just think he gets pushed around on the block to much and isn’t great at timing blocked shots. I’d trade bad defense with a center that can shoot better than 35% from 3 though which I think he’s capable doing.
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:43 AM   #127
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So if Brooks does transfer.... who’s everyone’s favorite to replace him. Nsoseme? Diarra? Prince?
Seems odd that he would leave. I get that he lost his coach but he is in a good situation and a Good team coming back. Wish him the best if he goes.

I find it hard to believe the coach hasn’t reached out to him.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:53 AM   #128
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Offensively I think he is good to go, I just think he gets pushed around on the block to much and isn’t great at timing blocked shots. I’d trade bad defense with a center that can shoot better than 35% from 3 though which I think he’s capable doing.
The obsession with 3 point shooting is a bit much. We'd all love to have a center who shots 35% from three, but even NBA teams regularly play centers who can't do that because the center position provides a lot of other value. Mostly defense and rebounding. Having a guy who is a threat around the rim is also valuable and can force teams to down low and leave shooters open.

I'd take Brooks and his ability to defend, block shots, rebound, score around the basket and hit jumpers from 10-15 feet over Diarra who is an excellent shooter, but still seems lost at times on the court (I do think Diarra can be great, but I think that might still be one more year away).

That said, if Brooks leaves we have good options on the roster and I doubt we go looking for a grad transfer Center. I always thought it was odd we had 3 centers each spaced a year apart, Cronin normally tried to space guys two years apart so they each get two years to learn, then two years to start. Having Brooks leave means Nsoseme and Diarra will get a lot more on court experience, which will be better for us in the long run, even though it would probably be worse for us next year.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:57 AM   #129
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think Brannen is going to favor the shooter. So I think Diara has a real shot to make a leap if Brooks is gone. I doubt Gillam or Hardnett are going to be knocking down a lot of shots but both of those guys could move Scott over to the 5. My money would be on Diara and keep Scott at the 4 so we can get shooters on the floor.

We should land a wing/guard shooter in the transfer market to round things out. Then we have to see who is staying so Brannen can round out the squad as he sees needs.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:03 AM   #130
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Seems odd that he would leave. I get that he lost his coach but he is in a good situation and a Good team coming back. Wish him the best if he goes.

I find it hard to believe the coach hasn’t reached out to him.
Maybe he doesn’t want to run and play fast.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote