Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #31
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Trevor Moore shot 44% (11/25) from 3 for the month of November his freshman year. Since then he's been a 26.4% 3-point shooter for the rest of his career.

I personally don't want to give up on him. Jenifer seemed like a lost cause after his sophomore year and look how he raised his game.

When you consider how poorly Keith and Fredericks shot the 3 for the latter part of the year, we don't have the luxury of discarding Moore and knowing that equal or better options are in the wings. Curtis hopefully will provide a boost but he's going to be playing the 1/2 for us. Moore will mostly come in as a 3 and sometimes a small ball 4.

Fresh blood isn't always the answer as well. Remember Joe Cremo? Albany grad transfer we were in for last offseason? Averaged 18/game and shot 46% from 3 as a junior. How'd he do this season at Villanova? 4 ppg and 34% from 3. He didn't even play 6 minutes/game over Villanova's Big East tourney run and 2 NCAA tourney games.
I agree on Moore. Sometimes you can get over a mental hurdle in the course of a single game. But with players who can get stuck on mental things...he is probably just as likely to revert back. We all know he can shoot the ball but even if he starts to make some...can we ever really rely on him? He has to prove it from the get go next year or there will be little reason to ever insert him into the lineup again. The optimal way to use Moore is to bring him in to see if he can get hot. But this year we had to use him in small lineups as well because we didn't have quality depth at the 4. We won't have to ever do the latter again.

As for Curtis...I don't think he's a sharp shooter either. Teams are going to pack the paint on us. We are going to have to shoot them out of it somehow.

In the past...weight lifting, getting in shape, and training have been a huge focus in the off season and getting ready for the following year. At this point I would almost trade all of that for exclusive 3 point shooting until next season starts...LOL! Every player...every shot...hahaha
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #32
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I agree on Moore. Sometimes you can get over a mental hurdle in the course of a single game. But with players who can get stuck on mental things...he is probably just as likely to revert back. We all know he can shoot the ball but even if he starts to make some...can we ever really rely on him? He has to prove it from the get go next year or there will be little reason to ever insert him into the lineup again. The optimal way to use Moore is to bring him in to see if he can get hot. But this year we had to use him in small lineups as well because we didn't have quality depth at the 4. We won't have to ever do the latter again.

As for Curtis...I don't think he's a sharp shooter either. Teams are going to pack the paint on us. We are going to have to shoot them out of it somehow.

In the past...weight lifting, getting in shape, and training have been a huge focus in the off season and getting ready for the following year. At this point I would almost trade all of that for exclusive 3 point shooting until next season starts...LOL! Every player...every shot...hahaha
Samari only shot 32.5% from 3 his senior year of HS, 66-203. Being from Dayton I was able to see Samri play when he played against my little brother at Centerville and the small sample size I saw of SC is he takes it to the basket about 70% of the time but will spot up and shoot when needed. The issue is he was by far the best player on the court and could do what ever he wanted so it is hard to gauge what he will realistically bring next year because he wont be shooting the ball 30 times a game.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:21 PM   #33
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Over 3pt shooting our returning players need to work on dribbling and just flat out better hands. Got too many players that can't dribble against pressure and can't come down with the ball under contact. Moore probably has worse hands ever, he can't catch the ball or shoot it
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #34
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Samari only shot 32.5% from 3 his senior year of HS, 66-203. Being from Dayton I was able to see Samri play when he played against my little brother at Centerville and the small sample size I saw of SC is he takes it to the basket about 70% of the time but will spot up and shoot when needed. The issue is he was by far the best player on the court and could do what ever he wanted so it is hard to gauge what he will realistically bring next year because he wont be shooting the ball 30 times a game.
Yah...that's (the shooting) probably not going to translate well in D1. I guess if he is just doing spot 3 pt shooting he might be able to hold up the %.

It's pretty easy for defenses when all you have to do is find 1 shooter on the court. Jenifer made things twice as hard by giving us a 2nd option. Imagine if we had 3 shooters?

It's (the shooting) going to have to come from Williams, Johnson, or Curtis. Those are very likely going to be the guards in the short rotation outside of Cumberland. That is not a promising shooting bunch!! I guess we can hope Scott helps or one of the other bigs?
Old 03-25-2019, 12:57 PM   #35
waterhead
Senior Moderator

So in terms of 3 point shooting we have Curtis coming in. The rest of our wings/guards we have some data. Not sure on the new bigs of course (Prince & Hardnett) or if Diara will play much. Jenifer is gone and so is Broome.

Curtis 32.5% HS senior year. Likely that % would go down unless he is really good at spot up shooting and didn't get much chance to do that because he was the focal point. 30% would not be good for us.

Williams finished the year 27%...OUCH...but twice as good as last year...LOL!

Fredericks 24%....yikes...awful

Moore 27%....for a shooter...just turrible

LoJo 25%...not good...has more time to fix than Moore or Fredericks

Scott 31%...low volume...but the next best shooter to Jenifer? Broome was at an awful 30% on the year.

Part of me expects Cumberland's numbers (%) to go down as well because I thought he had a very good year from 3. All of this adds up to a shit show in terms of shooting.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #36
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yah...that's (the shooting) probably not going to translate well in D1. I guess if he is just doing spot 3 pt shooting he might be able to hold up the %.

It's pretty easy for defenses when all you have to do is find 1 shooter on the court. Jenifer made things twice as hard by giving us a 2nd option. Imagine if we had 3 shooters?

It's (the shooting) going to have to come from Williams, Johnson, or Curtis. Those are very likely going to be the guards in the short rotation outside of Cumberland. That is not a promising shooting bunch!! I guess we can hope Scott helps or one of the other bigs?
First 19 games: Scott was 2/11 (18.2%) from 3

Last 16 games: Scott was 10/28 (35.8%) from 3

I think Scott can shoot close to that 35% clip again with continued work on his shot in the offseason. That would be a big boost to our offense if he could be a respectable threat from deep.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:43 PM   #37
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
First 19 games: Scott was 2/11 (18.2%) from 3

Last 16 games: Scott was 10/28 (35.8%) from 3

I think Scott can shoot close to that 35% clip again with continued work on his shot in the offseason. That would be a big boost to our offense if he could be a respectable threat from deep.
If Scott can keep up that clip...and we can get one more 35% shooter from the main rotation guards...we will be alright. It would also help, and should be expected, that all of our wings/guards improve their %'s. I mean....%'s in the 20's are a rock bottom number. Especially when you consider that most of them are basically wide open looks as they would not otherwise attempt them with guys like Cumberland, and Jenifer on the floor.

Wide open set shooting should be a minimum of 30% and to be honest probably should be closer to 35% plus. Expecting improvements from the supporting cast should not be even close to asking to much.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:57 PM   #38
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If Scott can keep up that clip...and we can get one more 35% shooter from the main rotation guards...we will be alright. It would also help, and should be expected, that all of our wings/guards improve their %'s. I mean....%'s in the 20's are a rock bottom number. Especially when you consider that most of them are basically wide open looks as they would not otherwise attempt them with guys like Cumberland, and Jenifer on the floor.

Wide open set shooting should be a minimum of 30% and to be honest probably should be closer to 35% plus. Expecting improvements from the supporting cast should not be even close to asking to much.
Trevor Moore his missed more wide open 3's than any other college player I have even seen. Like literally wide open, not a defender within ft of him. He reminds me of Quadri Moore, everyone holds there breath when they shoot and than laughs and makes a joke when they finally make one.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:15 PM   #39
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

In today's game a wide open 3 at 35% is not good at all. 5-10 years ago you take that but now that has to be close to 40+%. Overall you may shoot 35% but if that's what your wide open looks are, that's bad.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:15 PM   #40
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Trevor Moore his missed more wide open 3's than any other college player I have even seen. Like literally wide open, not a defender within ft of him. He reminds me of Quadri Moore, everyone holds there breath when they shoot and than laughs and makes a joke when they finally make one.
But he's the best shooter Mick has ever seen in his entire life.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote