Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #521
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
So our lowest rated recruits were generally better then this guy and we got a number of higher rated recruits in the same time frame (Wiliiams, Johnson, Diarra). And at least they were goes who recruited for their athletic potential (with the exception of Moore) to become great. It's harder to get guys who are 6'8"+ who are ready now.

Marcus Domask looks like a worse version of Trevor Moore coming out of high school. A shorter, less athletic pure shooter.

but if he can actually make shots then he's way better than trevor moore.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:43 AM   #522
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
So our lowest rated recruits were generally better then this guy and we got a number of higher rated recruits in the same time frame (Wiliiams, Johnson, Diarra). And at least they were goes who recruited for their athletic potential (with the exception of Moore) to become great. It's harder to get guys who are 6'8"+ who are ready now.

Marcus Domask looks like a worse version of Trevor Moore coming out of high school. A shorter, less athletic pure shooter.

also we've had 1 guy better than 190 in the last 3 classes (2 before samari left). 6 guys below 190. KW has been our only top 130 get in 3 classes.

for people to panic because he's going after a guy he's familiar with in a class with 0 players and a bunch of open scholarships, i mean that seems pretty stupid.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #523
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
also we've had 1 guy better than 190 in the last 3 classes (2 before samari left). 6 guys below 190. KW has been our only top 130 get in 3 classes.

for people to panic because he's going after a guy he's familiar with in a class with 0 players and a bunch of open scholarships, i mean that seems pretty stupid.
What is also tough right now is Brannen has to try to keep his classes balanced. Right now he's not real sure what he's going to be left with. He knows he has to get a guard like Sloan. But just imagine how class balance plays into who he is able to go after? Does he want a grad transfer, 2 year juco, or HS guy? And he has to balance out the positions too.

I would not want to be in his shoes right now...it's a juggling act but he's not even sure how many things he has to juggle and when.

Then he has to find a good recruiter with ties in a good region and which coach he wants to bring on board could weigh heavily on some recruits he wants to get.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #524
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Hoping the news on Curtis is good news for Sloan. For one year that would likely be better than just a wash. Long term you want Curtis of course. I know they play different positions...but Sloan may see an opening to run with 2 guards like he and Johnson if there is nothing better to throw out there.

If he was considering us before the news...he must be thinking things just got a little better for him. There is plenty of playing time now for both he and Johnson available. Not that Curtis would be any more than a 20 minute guy as a frosh but hey that's 20 minutes open.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:43 AM   #525
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
What is also tough right now is Brannen has to try to keep his classes balanced. Right now he's not real sure what he's going to be left with. He knows he has to get a guard like Sloan. But just imagine how class balance plays into who he is able to go after? Does he want a grad transfer, 2 year juco, or HS guy? And he has to balance out the positions too.

I would not want to be in his shoes right now...it's a juggling act but he's not even sure how many things he has to juggle and when.

Then he has to find a good recruiter with ties in a good region and which coach he wants to bring on board could weigh heavily on some recruits he wants to get.
Imagine asking yourself what happens if Brooks stays or goes? What happens if Samari stays or goes? What happens if Johnson stays or goes? And then having to have plans and alternate plans for each scenario.

What happens if Cumberland stays or goes? How do I want to structure this? A bunch of grad transfers to help this year or do I go long term for future success and how does that affect my class balance. Am I going to be recruiting 5 guys one year and 5 guys the next or would I rather sprinkle in a Juco or transfer to even things out.

That is a far cry from having an established roster and filling a glaring hole for one year or recruiting HS kids or jucos to fill holes you see coming in 2 years. Damn near every scenario right now seems to be on the table and capable of playing itself out and Brannen has to play a master chess game on limited time.

I am going to let him make those choices and know that they aren't easy decisions by any means. He's in a very tough spot that I wouldn't wish on anyone and I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and even some extended leash if he doesn't get it perfect.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:03 AM   #526
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
At least KW announced he's definitely staying...although it was never speculated he would leave, i'll take a small "win" at this point.
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #527
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post
At least KW announced he's definitely staying...although it was never speculated he would leave, i'll take a small "win" at this point.
I'll take it. I hope Johnson is next to solidify his commitment.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:42 PM   #528
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I'll take it. I hope Johnson is next to solidify his commitment.
ditto
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #529
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Obviously a lot hinges on Cumberland.

Next year:
PG Johnson
SG Williams
SF Cumberland
PF Scott
C Diarra/Nsoseme

Not a bad starting 5. Lacking outside shooting....but then again we almost always do. Will depend a lot on improvement from Johnson and the bigs.

Its the bench that is fairly weak. Well - that's not fair, they appear to be weak based on their contributions up to this point. But who knows about Prince or Hardnett.

So if CJB can someone land a PG (like a Sloan), someone that can knock down open 3's created by driving Johnson/Williams/Cumberland, and a big that can contribute some...Not terrible.

Now after that:

PG Johnson
SG Williams
SF Moore
PF Prince
C Diarra/Nsoseme

Need some solid recruits to hopefully get into the starting lineup for 1 position 1-3 and backups at the others.

Hoping the recruiting is as good as it can be for 2019 this late and is better than it has been in 2020. In reality - there will be a lot of minutes for that 2020 class and they could snag 1-3 starting spots if talented enough. Doubtful more than 1, but you never know.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #530
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Preach.

We don’t lose players at cincinnati very often
We don’t have guys decommit.

This is all unfamiliar.
Stop it. Bledsoe teague mayo bill walker kemba walker etc all was basically locks and didn't come here
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote