Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: How would you use our 13th scholarship?
Sign a late HS recruit/eligible transfer who would play in 19-20 13 61.90%
Sign a late HS recruit who would redshirt in 19-20 1 4.76%
Sign a transfer who would sit out 19-20 3 14.29%
Keep the scholarship open for the class of 2020 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2019, 08:43 AM   #1
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
13th Scholarship

Our roster is in great shape for next season at the moment. We have 12 scholarships filled and will have solid depth at every position with the exception of a few question marks at point guard. We could possibly fill in that last little roster hole with a late addition to next year's team who would be eligible to contribute right away.

However, we are due to lose at least 4 players in the summer of 2020 (Cumberland, Scott, Brooks, and Fredericks) and have the potential to upgrade our talent for 20-21 right now by snagging a transfer who would sit out next season.

We could also make a late signing to our 2019 class and treat whoever it may be as a 2020 recruit (ala Prince Gillam) by redshirting him next season.

There is also the option to not touch the scholarship for 19-20 and save it for a 2020 HS/JUCO recruit.

Obviously, since the offseason has just started, this discussion could become irrelevant (or change tones) very quickly if we experience some immediate attrition.

Regardless, with how things stand now, what do you believe to be the best course of action?
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:48 AM   #2
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Try to get the best available shooter. Don’t care about athleticism or even defense a lot. Get the best transfer shooter available to step in and knock down shots.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:49 AM   #3
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
6'6 wing. Knock down shooter. Elite athlete. Likely a lottery pick.

Go find that.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Let's assume both Cronin and Cumberland will be coming back. I am going to take a look at this simply from a perspective of what we can do to put together a team in March that can contend. We have a very solid returning core that has pretty nice potential and I would not like to waste the few opportunities that come along for us with teams that might be able to contend. We had a contender in Gary's Sr year...but most of our teams aren't there. This year we all thought was one of those rebuilding years that turned out better.

A lot has been said that Cronin does not get enough offensive players but he has done a little better in that dept lately. I think it would be tough for him to do a 180 on recruiting style but the one place he can address team weaknesses is in the transfer market. In a year like this up coming year I am talking about a grad transfer that can help put us over the hump for a single season while we have the other pieces in place. Cronin does NOT like to use it and I understand why. If you nab a transfer at any position it tells the other players at the position you have lost confidence. Which is also IMO what riding the bench says. So you take the chance of alienating a player who might transfer out. I would take the chance of losing a low minute bench player for a chance at higher levels of success. No hard feelings.

So look at our roster. We look solid at the 4 and 5. We have Cumberland who can play point or wing. Keith was looking worse towards the end and we have unproven players in Curtis and Johnson coming in. Fredericks and Moore weren't cutting it. So all the help we would need would be at the guard/wing positions. Specifically someone who can shoot and add some scoring pop to an otherwise solid squad and deep bench. And who knows Curtis and Johnson COULD be all we need...but we are more likely a year from them being consistent and solid starters.

You have to ask. Are we rebuilding? Do we need to plug a hole for next year. Do we have a team that can contend and can use all the help we can get THIS year? I would go all in this year on the grad transfer wing/guard who can shoot the 3. If Mick ruffles some feathers...he just has to say to them...work a little harder and improve and you won't have to worry about it next year. You are not performing at the level I recruited you for. I understand if you are upset but I gave you some chances.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
waterhead
Senior Moderator

And seriously. If you are Cronin. You are constantly getting hammered for not being a very good March coach. That is the elephant in the room for your coaching career. Why not go all out on a grad transfer and try to change that perception? Just one time...see what happens. If you are not changing others are passing you by because they are willing to. MAKE A CHANGE!!
Old 03-29-2019, 11:55 AM   #6
waterhead
Senior Moderator

In our 9 tourney streak when we have a 7 seed or lower our average ORTG rank on T-rank has been 53.5 and that includes a massive outlier in SK's Sr year where we were ranked 102nd (5 seed). All other years were ranked between 56 and 32. That includes a 7 seed, three 6 seeds, 5 seed and 2 seed.

When we had higher than a 7 seed our average rank on offense was 92nd. So there is roughly a 40 point difference. 8, 9, and 10 seed.

During those same years with the 7 seeds and below our defense averaged a rank of 14.5. The higher seeds about 15.5. For only a 1 point difference.

Makes sense since our D is always going to be solid our seed should go as our offense goes.

So if I am Mick maybe I just keep recruiting the way I always do and fill 11 spots or so with HS and juco. I get my mix of athletes, projects, and actual basketball players. And every year (if I have to) I address the offensive weaknesses that arise (because of my recruiting style) through the grad transfer market. I let all of my players know when I recruit them I will likely fill the weakest spot on the team each year with a grad transfer so there are no surprises.

Perhaps this is how to solve the March success issue when we have trouble producing enough points to keep up. If we are ever going to end up in the top 25 on offense we need to use transfers to get there based on 12 years of evidence. We CANNOT do it with Cronin's recruiting style. We can however get to the top 10 in D.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:07 PM   #7
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
I think this article gives some indication of the direction Mick is looking to go.

https://thespun.com/college-hoops/da...kansas-gonzaga
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:17 AM   #8
CareBat

CareBat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
I think this article gives some indication of the direction Mick is looking to go.

Yes please
CareBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:57 AM   #9
Profchaos102

Profchaos102 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post

Didn’t that guy lose his head coach too? Is there a chance that he could be ruled immediately eligible because of that? If not, he’d still be a solid Cumberland replacement in two years. If we could land him, that’ll be absolutely huge for this program.
Profchaos102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #10
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profchaos102 View Post
Didn’t that guy lose his head coach too? Is there a chance that he could be ruled immediately eligible because of that? If not, he’d still be a solid Cumberland replacement in two years. If we could land him, that’ll be absolutely huge for this program.
Released his Final 7. Cincy not in it...but UCLA is
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote