Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Upgrade or Downgrade

Let's take a look at the 5 positions and what we look like compared to last year to decide if we are better off as a team or not.

C...We had Mooj last year who could put a body on a big man and block some shots. At 5 points a game and 5 rebounds per game not all that great. JJ likely won't be able to keep guys out of the paint as well...but he can block shots and will be a better rebounder and scorer. Not to mention he is now a captain and a leader on the court. Upgrade IMO.

PF...Rubles is playing much better than last year and we have moved JJ to C. We have added Lawrence to the mix. Not to mention Rubles is now a captain. Upgrade IMO.

SG...SK has improved from last year and is now a captain and a great leader. Upgrade IMO.

SF...We had Parker last year who was one of my favorite players. He played out of position and wasn't a mismatch on O or D. We now have Thomas and Sanders. I think we can match Parker's production in scoring and rebouding with these two guys. This is maybe a wash IMO.

PG...last year we had Cash who will be tough to replace as a scorer and a veteran leader by example (not as much by enthusiasm). He could get the ball up court and knew how to run the O and could shoot 3's. Where this position may have been a slight liability is that we couldn't run full court press for the whole game because Cash was injured. GG and TC are getting the ball up court wihout turning the ball over. We are losing outside shooting but we are gaining in what we can do as a press team. Slight downgrade IMO.

If I grade last year's team as a C+ or B. I would give this team a B to a B+ so far.

Last edited by waterhead; 11-27-2013 at 08:54 PM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Athletically I think we are upgraded but it's tough to replace the leadership of last years seniors. They went to a big east title game and sweet 16. I think we will be ok, but a learning curve cannot be ignored.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
I think this years team will be better then last by end of year. Youngsters need to grow and gain some experience. It also is tough to judge because the level of competition has been so weak to this point. We should have a better idea after the next game. The schedule gets a bit more challenging.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
handwaver

handwaver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
I think this years team will be better then last by end of year. Youngsters need to grow and gain some experience. It also is tough to judge because the level of competition has been so weak to this point. We should have a better idea after the next game. The schedule gets a bit more challenging.
^
That! Right now, Kilpatrick, (.542) Rubles (.550) & Jackson (.553) are all shooting at over 50%. No way that continues against real competition. However, if the focus on getting the ball inside continues successfully, and they don't get reduced to jacking up 3's, I do expect the percentages to be better than last year's abysmal level. Killa (.371), Rubles (.299), JJ (.425)....last year, both SK & Cash shot 3's BELOW 30%!
handwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Mooj is a huge loss for this team IMO...

We have no true "Big", playing teams with a true big man could be tough on Justin and Rubles.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
CaptDale
Elite Member

CaptDale is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Mooj is a huge loss for this team IMO...

We have no true "Big", playing teams with a true big man could be tough on Justin and Rubles.
Especially vs New Mexico with their front 3 running 7'0" , 6'9", and 6'7". We'll be able to out hustle them, but defending and rebounding will be tough. Big Dave will be used, but he'll foul out quickly. I just hope JJ doesn't get defensively sloppy. We may have to go to a zone due to mismatchups inside. What they won't have are guards to beat the trap, but I anticipate one of their bigs will be parked under their basket for when and if they do. Still gotta get past the next couple opponents before we get to them.
CaptDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDale View Post
Especially vs New Mexico with their front 3 running 7'0" , 6'9", and 6'7". We'll be able to out hustle them, but defending and rebounding will be tough. Big Dave will be used, but he'll foul out quickly. I just hope JJ doesn't get defensively sloppy. We may have to go to a zone due to mismatchups inside. What they won't have are guards to beat the trap, but I anticipate one of their bigs will be parked under their basket for when and if they do. Still gotta get past the next couple opponents before we get to them.
We have to run big teams... push the tempo and try to wear them out..

My biggest concern for this team is justin and rubles getting in foul trouble. Justin cannot have any stupid fouls this year.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
westsidecat
Banned

westsidecat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
It also is tough to judge because the level of competition has been so weak to this point.
this.

it's premature to make any type of judgement on players or as a team at this point. still a ton of questions about this club.
westsidecat is offline   Reply With Quote