Old 04-23-2020, 05:57 PM   #682
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Haven’t heard that. Who’s even left?
I'm curious about this as well.

Only player I can think of is Gabe Wiznitzer, who is 2021 but a potential reclassify. But on reclassifying he said “I could potentially go 2020 if I find the right situation and spot where I’m gonna be used right away and developed”.

I can't see us meeting the criteria of being "used right away". We've got plenty of depth at center.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:23 PM   #683
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post

Only player I can think of is Gabe Wiznitzer, who is 2021 but a potential reclassify. But on reclassifying he said “I could potentially go 2020 if I find the right situation and spot where I’m gonna be used right away and developed”.

I can't see us meeting the criteria of being "used right away". We've got plenty of depth at center.
Yeah, if we are still trying to get someone, it would have to be a reclassify situation. No one else would be worth it.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:47 PM   #684
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Okay, top 100 may be extreme. But top 75.

More than anything I worry about the loss of Scott. You know I love Diarra, but he has yet to make it clear he can play the 4. All year he was better at the 5 and his run of very good play at the end of the season was at the 5. Rap I don't think can play the 4 on defense, especially not with Vogt at the 5. With Diarra at the 5 Rap may work out at the 4, because Diarra is so good at cutting off driving lanes. But either Diarra figures out the 4, Rap surprises me or we are in major trouble (I suppose Eason starts is also an option).

If Rap is Sorolla level and Diarra struggles at the 4, things get rocky real quick. It seems like we are going to be relying on Rap a lot, but his lack of intensity and giving up on plays is a worrisome trend. He also shot only 26% from three last year (though over 40% the year before that) and was one of the worst on the team in ORTG (one of the best the year before that), which is a potential problem as well. Rap was not a very good player last year, but was very good in 18-19, we are hoping for him to make the jump in competition and return to his 18-19 form, that seems like a lot to hope for.

Scott's rebounding is also going to be missed. Vogt isn't going to make up for it, Rap I don't think will make up for it. Diarra and Keith may to a degree, but they will probably need help. The guards and forwards need to do much better than they did last year.

I am less worried about where the offense will come from. DeJulius and Keith should be major threats. Diarra, Rap and the other guards will will stretch the floor and open up driving lanes. Vogt will be a change of pace when he is in.

The other concern is the youth at guard. MAW, Harvey and one of the freshmen guards are going to be our starter, and backup guards. While I think Harvey should make a big jump (and MAW a less big one), I could be wrong and we are in trouble there as well.

Too many unknowns for me to be confident. Best case would be top 30, worst case would be closer to 100. We should know more within the first month or so of play.
I think what some are forgetting is Brannen will be able to run his preferred system this year with more of his preferred players. Probably with some quality depth that will also allow the 94 ft plan and a speedy guard who is very good in transition. He will be able to use the bench as a deterrent for probably everyone on the team.

We don’t have Cumberland but now we have more of the shared scoring responsibility he desires. Much of that stuff was out the window last year. I can’t wait to see how it’s really supposed to look and work.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:16 AM   #685
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:

We are only recruiting Gabe for 2021.
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:43 AM   #686
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Houston should be the best on paper but for some reason I’m not sold on that group of players. They should have ran away with the league last year and didn’t. I think Jarreau and grimes actually hurt them. They try to cater to those guys but they just aren’t the players they think they are. Not consistent. And They just don’t play together or something. They should be great but I’ll wait and see.

I’d put Memphis in the same category as us. They have talent like us but have proved less than us. I think they could improve but they also lost the player of the year.

Houston's offense is what ours used to be only they have better offensive players than we had.

Theres no reason with that kind of talent they should be 247 in eFG%. Their offense is not well coached.

As a comparison they shot 728 Far 2's and 497 close 2's

We shot 389 Far 2's and 705 close 2's.

They don't get good shots but they pound the glass. Imagine what their offense could look like if they could space. They also had 3 guys over 35% from 3 with over 119 attempts each. That roster would really do damage with an analytic coach.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:57 AM   #687
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Houston's offense is what ours used to be only they have better offensive players than we had.

Theres no reason with that kind of talent they should be 247 in eFG%. Their offense is not well coached.

As a comparison they shot 728 Far 2's and 497 close 2's

We shot 389 Far 2's and 705 close 2's.

They don't get good shots but they pound the glass. Imagine what their offense could look like if they could space. They also had 3 guys over 35% from 3 with over 119 attempts each. That roster would really do damage with an analytic coach.
Yeah, they are basically a cronin style team. Throw up anything at the rim and try to get a rebound and play defense. We’ve seen that for years. You win a lot of games but also lose some you shouldn’t. There is no reason they shouldn’t have ran away with the league last year. We weren’t even good, and Tulsa is Tulsa. Houston is getting more talent which should help but I’m not sold on them yet.

And anyone that has faith in Memphis, I ask why. They haven’t won anything since conference USA
Old 04-27-2020, 07:09 AM   #688
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Yeah, they are basically a cronin style team. Throw up anything at the rim and try to get a rebound and play defense. We’ve seen that for years. You win a lot of games but also lose some you shouldn’t. There is no reason they shouldn’t have ran away with the league last year. We weren’t even good, and Tulsa is Tulsa. Houston is getting more talent which should help but I’m not sold on them yet.

And anyone that has faith in Memphis, I ask why. They haven’t won anything since conference USA
Jarron Cumberland and Trevon saved brannens ass this past season we were really lucky the conference was down... Would have to hope the same this yr but this team thats assembled this yr shouldn't do much of anything Nit is possible
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:48 AM   #689
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
Jarron Cumberland and Trevon saved brannens ass this past season we were really lucky the conference was down... Would have to hope the same this yr but this team thats assembled this yr shouldn't do much of anything Nit is possible

I wouldn't ever speak ill of what both of those guys have given UC, and even as Seniors. Very proud they are bearcats, but thinking that this team is screwed because they are gone is blowing it out of proportion. Jarron wasn't healthy for half the year and it showed. Not his fault but we're not replacing a peak Jarron.

They were 1-2 in most turnovers. Jarron shot 31% from 3. Tre was 5th in points per 40 minutes. They were 6th and 8th in ORtg. 1st and 4th in win shares.

They were huge cogs to the team last year, but to think we won't be back to last years level as long as KW is back is far-fetched.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #690
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
Ok