Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 07-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #41
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
If he signs a g-league contract, I would think they have to honor that contract and there would be writing in there if there isn’t a season. The nba at the earliest would start Christmas Day, and would most likely start next year. Lot could change by then. I doubt they will not play another season. Eventually these leagues are going to play.

Also, if he signs with an agent, they can pay him until he gets a job. Think your putting too much thought into the living situation.
my entire thought process is uncertainty and having no idea what is going to happen. Which I think is the only correct way to think about anything going on right now. We simply do not know anything. We may think there is no way sports would not happen again, but that is just thinking. We have no idea what is going to happen, with anything. Could the travel ban be lifted tomorrow? Sure. Could it last another 12 months? Sure. Will there be a vaccine soon? Will it really be $3500 out of pocket in the US like the articles the last few days? No one has any idea. Will there be another spike worse than the last one? Is all this nonsense?

You make good points on agencies paying and they very well could, but those agencies could also go under if they start throwing money at people and then sports get cancelled again. There is just so much uncertainty on anything right now
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:01 PM   #42
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
my entire thought process is uncertainty and having no idea what is going to happen. Which I think is the only correct way to think about anything going on right now. We simply do not know anything. We may think there is no way sports would not happen again, but that is just thinking. We have no idea what is going to happen, with anything. Could the travel ban be lifted tomorrow? Sure. Could it last another 12 months? Sure. Will there be a vaccine soon? Will it really be $3500 out of pocket in the US like the articles the last few days? No one has any idea. Will there be another spike worse than the last one? Is all this nonsense?

You make good points on agencies paying and they very well could, but those agencies could also go under if they start throwing money at people and then sports get cancelled again. There is just so much uncertainty on anything right now
I agree on uncertainty. I just think that could lead to him leaving rather than staying. Of course, I have no idea, just thinking out loud
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:40 AM   #43
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Brannen really filled out one hell of a roster with depth and experience at each position (assuming all can play). If they do all play we will have to look to future recruits to fill several spots.

I would think losing Vogt and Rap would open a need for a big (even though returning Dou, Eason, Lakhin and Davenport). Any big who can both shoot and guard the rim would be Option A right now IMO. After that Brannen seems to have a very high regard for the 6'5"-6'7" wing who has at least 2 skills...shooting, driving, or ball handling. I could easily see him going for 2 more wings in that height range. He has used wings as PG's in the past and I can't help but think he would gladly do it again if the right recruit were available. Even if that option doesn't develop we have Dejulius, Saunders, Woods, and Mason M who either do play or could play the PG spot.

He wants to push the pace so I would imagine the traditional PG is likely going to be part of the plan but versatile wings can play anywhere from 1-4 spots depending on the situation.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:09 PM   #44
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Justin Williams from The Athletic reported that we recently added our 11th OOC game with Western Illinois at home on 11/10.

With that addition, our OOC schedule now looks like:

Western Ill: 11/10
Lou: 11/13
@ NKU: 11/19
NIT in NYC: 11/25-11/27
Lipscomb: 11/30
XU: TBD, likely early Dec.
@ Tenn: 12/12
Furman: 12/15
@ UGA: 12/19
Richmond: 12/22
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:57 PM   #45
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Justin Williams from The Athletic reported that we recently added our 11th OOC game with Western Illinois at home on 11/10.

With that addition, our OOC schedule now looks like:

Western Ill: 11/10
Lou: 11/13
@ NKU: 11/19
NIT in NYC: 11/25-11/27
Lipscomb: 11/30
XU: TBD, likely early Dec.
@ Tenn: 12/12
Furman: 12/15
@ UGA: 12/19
Richmond: 12/22
We certainly could use a patsy or two mixed in there if only for the sake of getting the frosh some good minutes at some point in the early season. First game would sound like a good time to do it.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:21 AM   #46
waterhead
Senior Moderator

So practice started up. Not sure about the status of Williams and Vogt but I haven't heard any news lately about a decision so safe to say they are still deciding. If an NCAA season looks promising they may both return...if the season gets cancelled it would be a different story IMO. But I think they only have a week or two left to figure it out. Haven't heard much about Dejulius decision but I would guess he can still practice either way. I am not sure Lakhin has made his way over the pond yet.

I can't wait to hear some news about how some of the frosh look and about improvements from any of the vets...specifically Harvey (for me). All the early signs about him seem positive right now. Like he seems to be putting in the work, has new confidence and has maybe turned a corner physically from his injuries. All anecdotal stuff I have heard. A strong and confident Harvey would be almost like watching a new player all together and a necessary piece of our puzzle with such a young group.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:05 PM   #47
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Vogt says he's coming back!
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:20 AM   #48
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
Vogt says he's coming back!
First domino

Two more to go
Old 07-24-2020, 01:33 PM   #49
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I've been bored without much BB news so I took the time to watch (again) a few videos of some recruits. Mainly, I wanted to watch Harvey again to see what his potential really looks like, Eason, Madsen, and Saunders.

Eason obviously has a lot of potential but I don't think his skills (ball handling and shooting) are as good as some think. But a guy of his size and mobility can always be useful even if their skills aren't top notch just yet. Rebound and guard.

Saunders obviously is a speed demon. I don't know that he has any better ball skills than players in his range and his shooting touch was not good but seems to be improving. Another guy I think needs to work on his craft but can be useful in pushing pace when he's in if nothing else.

Harvey is smooth and his shot isn't pretty...but I think it will be accurate enough to keep defenses honest. I don't know if he is great at anything but is pretty good at most things.

I can't say enough about Madsen. I think he's going to have to put a lot more effort into his defensive game but I think he's got one skill that will be instantly useful at this level. Not only is he 6'5" or 6'6", with reasonable ball skills and driving skills, but he has the quickest release I have seen in a long while in a Bearcat uniform. He can get up a shot in almost any situation which makes it an even more dangerous weapon. And not only quick but accurate! It all comes down to his defense if he will play or not...but he's got enough skills. But he could go down as one of the best 3 ball shooters in our history.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:06 AM   #50
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I've done the same thing.

The more I watched Mason in the highlight videos, which are very slanted I know, but the more impressed with him I became. He's not got the size that helps Gabe, and maybe he isn't as quick yet. But his shooting percentage was better than most guys we've recruited and he shot well from the line. Due to that and his height, I could see him moving ahead of Saunders. Too early to say for anything, of course.

If Brannen can find a way to get the ball moving quickly and multiple shooters are ready to go, I could see the outside game improving in the next 2-3 years. We'll need good ball handlers, passers and shooters.

I guess Brannen has been recruiting this 6'3" shooter transfer from Belmont, Adam Kunkel. Boone County kid who'd sit one and play two more. I think he was hoping to get a spot with UK, but they seem to have held off. The Xavier board is talking like it'll be them, but I think this kid would fit Brannen's system really well.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote