Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #351
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Most of this is also true of Texas Tech, who people are saying has a better program than Cincinnati. Can't have it both ways.

I don't think there are any consistently elite schools outside of Duke, UNC, Louisville, Kentucky, Kansas, and Michigan St. Everyone else is at the mercy of a coach, AD, boosters, and conference affiliation that are always in flux. So any move to a major conference outside of those teams could be considered lateral, even if it looks like an upgrade based on recent history.

if Buzz stayed and made an elite 8 next year and final 4 the next year i think most would say the Va Tech job would be more desirable than this one. i think anywhere that has Chris Beard as their HC is going to be in a really good spot.

i dont know that any coach could win at Va Tech or Texas Tech. I dont know that any coach can win here. But I feel safe in saying wherever Buzz and Beard are, those teams are likely to be pretty good.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:51 AM   #352
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogsack View Post
Ever thought that may have something to do with Buzz William's? The fuq??
Very well could be. Or the chance to play in an elite conference...with constant national media coverage and exposure. Who knows.
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:55 AM   #353
TheRealUC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
but you don't know if any of the players would stay. people say if cronin leaves here our recruits will leave too, i would think if thats true the same would happen at other schools when their coach leaves.

va tech made the sweet 16 this year, the only other time they got to the sweet 16 was 1967 (made the elite 8 that year). we've made the tournament 9 times if a row, you have to go back to 1979 to find the last 9 times they made it.
Their incoming recruits might decommit, always a possibility. I'd have a hard time believing the rest of their core group suddenly transfers though.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:56 AM   #354
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
if Buzz stayed and made an elite 8 next year and final 4 the next year i think most would say the Va Tech job would be more desirable than this one. i think anywhere that has Chris Beard as their HC is going to be in a really good spot.

i dont know that any coach could win at Va Tech or Texas Tech. I dont know that any coach can win here. But I feel safe in saying wherever Buzz and Beard are, those teams are likely to be pretty good.
That's basically the point I was trying to make, that what we are calling more desirable jobs are because things have lined up for them recently. They're not necessarily better programs looking at the long term future. If Buzz and Beard leave, should VTech and Texas Tech still be considered more desirable than Cincinnati? I would probably give them the edge due to conference affiliation, but it's not a big edge.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:58 AM   #355
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post
Their incoming recruits might decommit, always a possibility. I'd have a hard time believing the rest of their core group suddenly transfers though.

3 Sr's played a lot of minutes and Alexander-Walker is a projected 1st round pick so there's a good chance he does what Evans did.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #356
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
That's basically the point I was trying to make, that what we are calling more desirable jobs are because things have lined up for them recently. They're not necessarily better programs looking at the long term future. If Buzz and Beard leave, should VTech and Texas Tech still be considered more desirable than Cincinnati? I would probably give them the edge due to conference affiliation, but it's not a big edge.

i think we are saying the same thing. maybe its a slight bump because of conference affiliation and pay.

i think its easier to be a good team in cincinnati's spot. i think the potential to fail as a HC is much higher at Vtech or Texas Tech for a new coach. i guess what im saying is i think they are tougher jobs, but maybe higher potential jobs.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:17 AM   #357
TheRealUC
Elite Member

Quote:
3 Sr's played a lot of minutes and Alexander-Walker is a projected 1st round pick so there's a good chance he does what Evans did.
He probably leaves. But that COULD still leave the incoming coach with two 4 star top 100's, Blackshear, and another incoming 4 star (but i think he'd decommit). Obviously nothing is a guarantee, but i'd say there are worse scenarios that a coach could walk into.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:34 AM   #358
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post
He probably leaves. But that COULD still leave the incoming coach with two 4 star top 100's, Blackshear, and another incoming 4 star (but i think he'd decommit). Obviously nothing is a guarantee, but i'd say there are worse scenarios that a coach could walk into.

It’s not the worst, and it would likely be great for the AAC. But I’m not sure it’s that great of a spot in the ACC. Could be worse but I think whoever ends up at va tech is going to have a tough go next year.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:37 AM   #359
TheRealUC
Elite Member

Quote:
It’s not the worst, and it would likely be great for the AAC. But I’m not sure it’s that great of a spot in the ACC. Could be worse but I think whoever ends up at va tech is going to have a tough go next year.
I hear you. just want this circus to end so we can get back to discussing our own program and address the shit that needs to be addressed.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #360
ME80

ME80 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
What kind of fan can’t forget a loss though?
You mean like Kentucky fans talking about Christian Laettner
ME80 is offline   Reply With Quote