Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2019, 07:53 AM   #561
ME80

ME80 is on a distinguished road
You guys all crack me up. Same thing as when a recruit doesn't pick us. He left for more money, that's it and if this administration did indeed offer a pay cut during the extension process I don't blame him for leaving. Let's move on and make a good hire.

I hope I don't hear you all talking about the good old days under Mick like many of you have waxed on about Huggs for years. The next coach better get us in the tournament every year and win some games in the tournament or all hell will break loose.
ME80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:53 AM   #562
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_N_Black_Attack View Post
Are we going to need an arena with larger seating capacity with all of these returning fans?
How many coach Cronin fans will we lose?
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #563
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
How many coach Cronin fans will we lose?
I was a Cronin fan but my rooting for Cronin or any coach stops when they are no longer the coach at UC. Cronin’s departure was probably the most ideal way to lose a coach...if it is going to happen. Our program has a real opportunity here to make a hire that can take our program to the next level. I am excited to see what happens.

This is such a better situation then firing a coach and going through a painful rebuild.
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #564
cincycpaw
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginnjw View Post
I was a Cronin fan but my rooting for Cronin or any coach stops when they are no longer the coach at UC. Cronin’s departure was probably the most ideal way to lose a coach...if it is going to happen. Our program has a real opportunity here to make a hire that can take our program to the next level. I am excited to see what happens.

This is such a better situation then firing a coach and going through a painful rebuild.
Honestly if this happened right after the Iowa loss it would have been the best time and the best reason. Missed out on a couple of potential candidates by having it drag out. But the program is in good shape, the arena is awesome, god willing we have a top 20 team returning and Mr. Ohio coming in. If this happened after this year a big recruiting class would be at risk.

I wasn’t always the biggest Mick fan. His inability to alter offensive strategy and what I thought was below standard recruiting (he seemed to get 1 player a year when we needed 2) frustrated me. But he got the program back on its feet, coached players up to POY honors, went to the NCAA tourney consistently. Lots to like. He had his best 2 teams and failed in March. That trend was bad. Seemed like he plateaued. We will see if it was the Bearcat program that plateaued or if it was mick soon.

I think the fan base will rally behind the new coach. I think we will have a great team to get behind next year. I would love for them to make the sweet 16 and set us up moving forward. The kids on next years team have a lot of pressure on them for this program, but they seem built to handle it.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #565
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I’ll be rooting for UCLa and UC.

I want Mick to succeed.

I want UC to succeed.

But I’m not too hot on these candidates.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #566
Bearcats92

Bearcats92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Honestly if this happened right after the Iowa loss it would have been the best time and the best reason. Missed out on a couple of potential candidates by having it drag out. But the program is in good shape, the arena is awesome, god willing we have a top 20 team returning and Mr. Ohio coming in. If this happened after this year a big recruiting class would be at risk.

I wasn’t always the biggest Mick fan. His inability to alter offensive strategy and what I thought was below standard recruiting (he seemed to get 1 player a year when we needed 2) frustrated me. But he got the program back on its feet, coached players up to POY honors, went to the NCAA tourney consistently. Lots to like. He had his best 2 teams and failed in March. That trend was bad. Seemed like he plateaued. We will see if it was the Bearcat program that plateaued or if it was mick soon.

I think the fan base will rally behind the new coach. I think we will have a great team to get behind next year. I would love for them to make the sweet 16 and set us up moving forward. The kids on next years team have a lot of pressure on them for this program, but they seem built to handle it.
Coaches are more important in present day basketball than the actual program. Look at Gonzaga and Mark Few. If Few ever left Gonzaga they would be nothing. If Few went to Tulsa he could make them contenders in the AAC in two or three years. That’s why this hire is so important. So I think it was Mick that plateued and not the program.
Bearcats92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #567
cincycpaw
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcats92 View Post
Coaches are more important in present day basketball than the actual program. Look at Gonzaga and Mark Few. If Few ever left Gonzaga they would be nothing. If Few went to Tulsa he could make them contenders in the AAC in two or three years. That’s why this hire is so important. So I think it was Mick that plateued and not the program.
Remember Dan Monson? Gonzaga survived that. But yes the hire is vitally important. But all the other stuff helps a good coach succeed.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #568
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Imagine if Xavier fans cried and acted like some of our fans are, every time a coach left. It’s frustrated, but Cronin isn’t the only coach in America that would be successful here.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #569
Cartel

Cartel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I’ll be rooting for UCLa and UC.

I want Mick to succeed.

I want UC to succeed.

But I’m not too hot on these candidates.
Many were not hot on Mick when he was hired either...
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:19 PM   #570
XUArizona

XUArizona is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Imagine if Xavier fans cried and acted like some of our fans are, every time a coach left. It’s frustrated, but Cronin isn’t the only coach in America that would be successful here.
Trust me, we do and the hate for Miller/Mack was/is pretty intense. It sucks when an established coach leaves. There are inevitable setbacks. We are proof a program and improve if you hire the right coach.

We never went with a retread, I wouldn't have been happy if X had gone retread with it's hire last year. There were those that wanted Miller back, I am not joking. Brannon and McMahon would both be great hires and coaches who are on the rise.

You can't look at a coach as a short term fix, they are a long term solution. Look at Butler and X, short term setbacks could and hopefully should be long term success.
XUArizona is offline   Reply With Quote