Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 07-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #111
Gotcha23

Gotcha23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
It's simple actually, give us a team that is consistently ranked in the top 25 in the country, give us a team that is consistently earning a high seed in the NCAA tournament, give us a team that has a legit shot to make a final 4 run or win a championship. Basically, give us a team that is once again relevant in the national college basketball discussion.

You can make your comments and act like people who aren't thrilled with the job Mick has done are crazy, or act like we're all just a bunch of unreasonable idiots who are just bashing Mick to bash Mick but that's not the case. I don't blame you for not being that in tune with the UC fan base, how in tune can you really be from Columbus?? What I can tell you is that as an alumni with a large base of friends who are UC supporters and as a season ticket holder for football and basketball I come in contact with and have conversations with a lot of UC athletic supporters and fans. I know that my numbers can't be proven and aren't scientific but I'm pretty sure that if 6 or 7 out of every 10 people I know or talk to feel the same way I do then I'm in the majority. I'm no rocket scientist but I'm pretty sure that's how polls work.

I will concede that some of these people are just stubborn fools who never were willing to give Mick a chance and still hold a grudge over the way Huggins left or the whole Nancy Z saga but it's a very small portion of the larger group who think rationally. We'll call these people the anti BearcatMick's since your side of the argument still has the homers and the message board trolls just like mine does.

Expecting more from a program than what we're currently being given is not crazy, it's not wrong and it's sad that you would suggest to anyone that it is. If you're cool with where the program is that's fine, that's your opinion and I'm sure there are many more out there who share it. Just don't act like the people who have a dissenting opinion from your are somehow idiots. This message board is not an end all be all on the real "pulse" of Bearcat fans, it's actually far from it. I'd venture to guess that half the regulars on here are just trolls who frequent several message boards per day to try to stir up the pot. There just as much a Bearcat fan as they are a Moutaineer fan or a Buckeye fan or whatever board it is they happen to be posting on at that particular time.

If you really want to get your finger on the pulse of fans go to a game, talk to the people sitting next to you who are giving their financial support to the program. Then you'll get a real idea of where the majority of our fan base stands.
My friends and the majority of the area I'm from would agree with you 100%. Well said, this is the truth whether people want to accept it or not.
Gotcha23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #112
JackBauer151
Epic Member

JackBauer151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JackBauer151
Quote:
It's simple actually, give us a team that is consistently ranked in the top 25 in the country, give us a team that is consistently earning a high seed in the NCAA tournament, give us a team that has a legit shot to make a final 4 run or win a championship. Basically, give us a team that is once again relevant in the national college basketball discussion.

You can make your comments and act like people who aren't thrilled with the job Mick has done are crazy, or act like we're all just a bunch of unreasonable idiots who are just bashing Mick to bash Mick but that's not the case. I don't blame you for not being that in tune with the UC fan base, how in tune can you really be from Columbus?? What I can tell you is that as an alumni with a large base of friends who are UC supporters and as a season ticket holder for football and basketball I come in contact with and have conversations with a lot of UC athletic supporters and fans. I know that my numbers can't be proven and aren't scientific but I'm pretty sure that if 6 or 7 out of every 10 people I know or talk to feel the same way I do then I'm in the majority. I'm no rocket scientist but I'm pretty sure that's how polls work.

I will concede that some of these people are just stubborn fools who never were willing to give Mick a chance and still hold a grudge over the way Huggins left or the whole Nancy Z saga but it's a very small portion of the larger group who think rationally. We'll call these people the anti BearcatMick's since your side of the argument still has the homers and the message board trolls just like mine does.

Expecting more from a program than what we're currently being given is not crazy, it's not wrong and it's sad that you would suggest to anyone that it is. If you're cool with where the program is that's fine, that's your opinion and I'm sure there are many more out there who share it. Just don't act like the people who have a dissenting opinion from your are somehow idiots. This message board is not an end all be all on the real "pulse" of Bearcat fans, it's actually far from it. I'd venture to guess that half the regulars on here are just trolls who frequent several message boards per day to try to stir up the pot. There just as much a Bearcat fan as they are a Moutaineer fan or a Buckeye fan or whatever board it is they happen to be posting on at that particular time.

If you really want to get your finger on the pulse of fans go to a game, talk to the people sitting next to you who are giving their financial support to the program. Then you'll get a real idea of where the majority of our fan base stands.
I half agree with this post and half disagree. I have no doubt there are real rational UC fans out there who arent satisfied with the job mick has done. Depending on what your standards are that is a completely fine position to take. Once again though, I dont understand how the perception around Cronin's program are so undervalued in recent years. (The years in which he has actually had a full squad) You said you wanted a team consistently ranked in the top 25. They have been in the top 25 the last 4 years. You want a team that consistently goes to the tournament. 3 years in a row. You want a team that is talked about going to the final four. After the Syracuse game two years ago multiple people said they could be a dark horse and before the start of last year multiple publications were talking about them being a final 4 team (I'll obviously concede that they were very wrong and so was I as I thought the same thing). You want a team that is relevant to college basketball. UC beat more ranked teams than anyone else in the country two years ago and were ranked as high as 8th last year. That seems pretty relevant to the college basketball landscape. Based off your criteria the program isnt that far off. Can they do better? Hell yeah. You wanting more doesnt make you crazy or stupid. Or anyone else for that matter. I want a final 4. I want UC to be "feared" again. Those things take time. I just am of the opinion that based off of the statistical results I see, that ever since this program got back on its feet many parts of this program are trending upwards. A lot of what you said has validity. Still when you simply look at what Cronin has accomplished on paper based on the challenges he has faced, up to this point, I have been impressed with what has been able to accomplish. Like all of you I reserve the right to change my mind as the years go on. Agree to disagree I guess.
JackBauer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #113
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic1 View Post
The Majority of the fanbase aren't donors.
The last team that had a legit shot at a championship was 13 years ago.
The 2011-2012 team had a legit shot at a final four. It's not their fault they were seeded in a way that left them playing FSU and OSU back to back. They had a great run to end the season. Beating Syracuse and Georgetown in back to back nights. The win against the Noles was all out warfare. In terms of talent, they were better than the last Sweet Sixteen team we had in 01.
As for the fanbase in general, Cincinnati is a lousy sports town. Anyone who owns a Bengals season ticket, should be forbidden from criticizing UC.
Cincinnati is a sports town just like any other. You listen to sports talk radio anywhere and most of what you hear are the fringe elements of the fan base in general, kind of like message boards. Let's be honest, most contributing members of society don't have all day to spend on message boards or calling into sports talk radio shows. I'm lucky enough that my work allows me to entertain myself during the day with this board and because I'm very interested in the Bearcats I like to post from time to time. Cincinnati is no different than anywhere else, we want a winner and we haven't been given one.

The Reds have let us down but they're trying and they're in a sport that makes it tough for a small market team to compete year in and year out. The Bengals are a joke, I no longer pay for tickets or attend games. I got out 6 years ago and won't go back until Mike Brown is gone.

UC hoops was a big winner in the 90's and early 00's and the people supported the program. The fan base was great and the shoe rocked every night. UC Football is still on it's way up and the fan base has responded in huge numbers. Give the people in this town what they crave and they'll get behind their teams. Call it fair weather, call it whatever you want but most people aren't like us. They don't get that into all sports or certain sports unless the team they like gives them a reason to.

I love the Bearcats and I want to see them do as good as possible and it is possible for this basketball program to do better.

Last edited by UCBearcats; 07-31-2013 at 03:23 PM.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #114
Nomadic1

Nomadic1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Cincinnati is a sports town just like any other.
You listen to sports talk radio anywhere and most of what you hear are the fringe elements of the fan base in general, kind of like message boards. Let's be honest, most contributing members of society don't have all day to spend on message boards or calling into sports talk radio shows. I'm lucky enough that my work allows me to entertain myself during the day with this board and because I'm very interested in the Bearcats I like to post from time to time. Cincinnati is no different than anywhere else, we want a winner and we haven't been given one.

The Reds have let us down but they're trying and they're in a sport that makes it tough for a small market team to compete year in and year out. The Bengals are a joke, I no longer pay for tickets or attend games. I got out 6 years ago and won't go back until Mike Brown is gone.

UC hoops was a big winner in the 90's and early 00's and the people supported the program. The fan base was great and the shoe rocked every night. UC Football is still on it's way up and the fan base has responded in huge numbers. Give the people in this town what they crave and they'll get behind their teams. Call it fair weather, call it whatever you want but most people aren't like us. They don't get that into all sports or certain sports unless the team they like gives them a reason to.

I love the Bearcats and I want to see them do as good as possible and it is possible for this basketball program to do better.
I don't agree with you.
It's possible for the basketball program to do better; my problem though, is this standard of better was not achieved by Huggins after the mid 90s. He flaked in the tourny damn near every year. What difference does it make, to get a high seed and be 1 and done? He flat out stunk up the place in the tournament and on top of that, he did it with way more talented teams than Mick had. By that measure, I actually think Mick deserves more support. I also think the 2011-2012 team was the best we've had in the past 12 years. So, when people tell me we need to up our game, I just have to ask, why weren't they bitching from 01-05?
Huggins achieved success and had his final four + Elite eight appearances early on. After that though, what did he do?
Nomadic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #115
Gotcha23

Quote:
I don't agree with you.
It's possible for the basketball program to do better; my problem though, is this standard of better was not achieved by Huggins after the mid 90s. He flaked in the tourny damn near every year. What difference does it make, to get a high seed and be 1 and done? He flat out stunk up the place in the tournament and on top of that, he did it with way more talented teams than Mick had. By that measure, I actually think Mick deserves more support. I also think the 2011-2012 team was the best we've had in the past 12 years. So, when people tell me we need to up our game, I just have to ask, why weren't they bitching from 01-05?
Huggins achieved success and had his final four + Elite eight appearances early on. After that though, what did he do?
Why weren't they bitching from 01-05??? Could be the talent difference in the players Huggs had compared to Mick. They may not have made a lot of noise in the tourney but the caliber of players was drastically higher.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #116
Nomadic1

Nomadic1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha23 View Post
Why weren't they bitching from 01-05??? Could be the talent difference in the players Huggs had compared to Mick. They may not have made a lot of noise in the tourney but the caliber of players was drastically higher.
But again, doesn't that deserve harsher criticism rather than lesser? Doesn't that mean he drastically under achieved? If the whole point is to simply go to the NCAA and lose, aren't we perfectly capable of that with the players we have currently? If it's about performance, you can't support Huggins' end years and knock Mick. It's logically incoherent. At that point, it's just whining for the sake of whining.
Nomadic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #117
Gotcha23

Quote:
But again, doesn't that deserve harsher criticism rather than lesser? Doesn't that mean he drastically under achieved? If the whole point is to simply go to the NCAA and lose, aren't we perfectly capable of that with the players we have currently? If it's about performance, you can't support Huggins' end years and knock Mick. It's logically incoherent. At that point, it's just whining for the sake of whining.
Honestly, I'm not sure people are really knocking Mick. I think the majority of fans just want to see the excitement back to Huggs level in general. The last two years were exciting but not at that level that Huggs had it at. I really feel the fans want that old "feeling" back. It may be unfair because of the job Mick had to start with but we as fans want that powerhouse feeling back. Once you feel that way as a fan, it's hard to start over. It's pretty simple to say but physically getting back to that point takes a long time.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #118
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha23 View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure people are really knocking Mick. I think the majority of fans just want to see the excitement back to Huggs level in general. The last two years were exciting but not at that level that Huggs had it at. I really feel the fans want that old "feeling" back. It may be unfair because of the job Mick had to start with but we as fans want that powerhouse feeling back. Once you feel that way as a fan, it's hard to start over. It's pretty simple to say but physically getting back to that point takes a long time.
I really believe that one of the main reasons that Indiana rebuilt as quickly as they did and to the level they did is fan support. The fans always showed up, they sold out during their down years. It is flat out hard to recruit to a half empty gym and red sweaters sitting on their hands. If the fans want that old feeling back, they should come back also. We had a jump in attendance last year, we need to keep this up to take the rebuilding to the next level.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #119
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
I really believe that one of the main reasons that Indiana rebuilt as quickly as they did and to the level they did is fan support. The fans always showed up, they sold out during their down years. It is flat out hard to recruit to a half empty gym and red sweaters sitting on their hands. If the fans want that old feeling back, they should come back also. We had a jump in attendance last year, we need to keep this up to take the rebuilding to the next level.
I was going to reply saying something along the same lines. Some fans are sitting around whining about the past instead of supporting the present. Yeah it was nice when we had had that swagger. And yeah I want it again. We saw a glimpse of it two years ago in the BEast tourney. One thing for certain is a half empty arena doesn't bring about swagger. It's a chicken and egg thing really. The reality is this team has been winning the last three years and at a higher level than some fans want to admit. Save the 99-00 season when we really had the mojo and the best team in the nation every team had its share of flaws. Its not just coincidence we lost in the second round every year. Buzzer beater, blown call, whatever but we let so-called inferior teams hang around with us. When that happens now it's Micks fault for not recruiting better players or being able to coach players up. I hate to say it but maybe being in a lesser conference is what this team needs to win fans back. This new conference will mirror old Conference USA pretty well. The bottom is piss-poor. Maybe Kilpatrick can outscore Tulane or SMU by himself this year and we can talk about how great he is for years to come. (I don't mean that to be sarcastic, even though it sounds it) If we go 13-3 in our new conference will that mean our team is light years ahead of a team that went 9-9 in the BEast? Winning is winning, so maybe the answer is yes. If it pleases the masses then it can be a good thing.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #120
Gotcha23

Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
I was going to reply saying something along the same lines. Some fans are sitting around whining about the past instead of supporting the present. Yeah it was nice when we had had that swagger. And yeah I want it again. We saw a glimpse of it two years ago in the BEast tourney. One thing for certain is a half empty arena doesn't bring about swagger. It's a chicken and egg thing really. The reality is this team has been winning the last three years and at a higher level than some fans want to admit. Save the 99-00 season when we really had the mojo and the best team in the nation every team had its share of flaws. Its not just coincidence we lost in the second round every year. Buzzer beater, blown call, whatever but we let so-called inferior teams hang around with us. When that happens now it's Micks fault for not recruiting better players or being able to coach players up. I hate to say it but maybe being in a lesser conference is what this team needs to win fans back. This new conference will mirror old Conference USA pretty well. The bottom is piss-poor. Maybe Kilpatrick can outscore Tulane or SMU by himself this year and we can talk about how great he is for years to come. (I don't mean that to be sarcastic, even though it sounds it) If we go 13-3 in our new conference will that mean our team is light years ahead of a team that went 9-9 in the BEast? Winning is winning, so maybe the answer is yes. If it pleases the masses then it can be a good thing.
Probably Winning is all that matters for us fans. If we have three or four losses on the year this city will be going nuts once again.