Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2018, 06:35 PM   #21
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I agree with a lot of what you say tyz. Cronin may not change certain things but he has recruited offense lately and he says himself you have to score the ball today. He realizes something must change but he reverts back to what he's used to.

He's right...we will need play makers in tourneys. The adjustment seems inevitable which is why some of us would like to see him get comfortable doing it now than later.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:37 PM   #22
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Beyond the convo of starting or minutes split.

Just strictly +/- speaking. It can't be completely random that basically every game there a difference in Broome's favor. Why is it in Broome's favor? I just start by watching how they play. And I think the +/- speaks to how much Broome can bother the opposing defense with his aggressiveness.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:43 PM   #23
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I'm beyond arguing the minutes split or anything like that. So that's not where I'm coming from.

I think your view of Cronin's handling og Broome is strict. I feel like it's loosening up more and more as he learns the structure of winning basketball at this level. And just the fact that Broome regularly pushes plays a bigger role than just the time or 2 he does get all the way to the hoop. He just draws so much attention from the defense. And it's not just Broome for that, but Evans and Cumberland too. The other day Evans pushed, it wasn't there, he circled back out to the 3 point line, confusion on a switch bc the guy who picked up Evans in transition wasn't his man, then boom Evans has a wide open 3. I don't care if something like that only happens once, it doesn't hurt to pull it back out and reset. Jenifer just doesn't have the size or agility for that to be part of what we try to accomplish when he's in.

Again, I'm not getting into the starting or slow start thing. I think you underestimate how valuable it can be to have a guy constantly pressuring the defense in transition and forcing them to be perfect every time. That threat can help our defensive rebounding too. It's more than just oh hey look we got 2 extra points one time.
I'm not saying I agree with anything or really siding with Cronin. I'm just answering the question as to why Justin starts. It seems to be the only thing this board wants to talk about and the prevailing argument seems to be Mick picks favorites and holds grudges. Frankly that's just idiotic. Some posters truly believe it though and I know you're not one of them. I just get tired of reading it over and over and over and over. I'm just pointing out what I see and understand out of Cronin. I've been on record many times saying we need Cane to be the player he's capable of and playing with the starters if we want to truly be great. I do think some people's judgments of Cane are a little clouded and they don't see his faults, but that's a separate point.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #24
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
I'm not saying I agree with anything or really siding with Cronin. I'm just answering the question as to why Justin starts. It seems to be the only thing this board wants to talk about and the prevailing argument seems to be Mick picks favorites and holds grudges. Frankly that's just idiotic. Some posters truly believe it though and I know you're not one of them. I just get tired of reading it over and over and over and over. I'm just pointing out what I see and understand out of Cronin. I've been on record many times saying we need Cane to be the player he's capable of and playing with the starters if we want to truly be great. I do think some people's judgments of Cane are a little clouded and they don't see his faults, but that's a separate point.
Can't argue with you on any of this. Definitely the topic of the year haha.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:51 PM   #25
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
I'm beyond arguing the minutes split or anything like that. So that's not where I'm coming from.

I think your view of Cronin's handling og Broome is strict. I feel like it's loosening up more and more as he learns the structure of winning basketball at this level. And just the fact that Broome regularly pushes plays a bigger role than just the time or 2 he does get all the way to the hoop. He just draws so much attention from the defense. And it's not just Broome for that, but Evans and Cumberland too. The other day Evans pushed, it wasn't there, he circled back out to the 3 point line, confusion on a switch bc the guy who picked up Evans in transition wasn't his man, then boom Evans has a wide open 3. I don't care if something like that only happens once, it doesn't hurt to pull it back out and reset. Jenifer just doesn't have the size or agility for that to be part of what we try to accomplish when he's in.

Again, I'm not getting into the starting or slow start thing. I think you underestimate how valuable it can be to have a guy constantly pressuring the defense in transition and forcing them to be perfect every time. That threat can help our defensive rebounding too. It's more than just oh hey look we got 2 extra points one time.
To your point on defense (I can't bold stuff via the phone). Cronin isn't going to hard core press 40 minutes and won't have the starters doing it for numerous reasons, most importantly potential foul issues. One refs like calling fouls early and two you don't want starters picking up fouls. There's a reason he puts Cane in when he does and why they press the ball so much after about the under 12 timeout. Cane is really, really good in the press. If he starts, we will nullify this strategy.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:55 PM   #26
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I agree with a lot of what you say tyz. Cronin may not change certain things but he has recruited offense lately and he says himself you have to score the ball today. He realizes something must change but he reverts back to what he's used to.

He's right...we will need play makers in tourneys. The adjustment seems inevitable which is why some of us would like to see him get comfortable doing it now than later.
Cronin really isn't stupid and personally I think he's very hard on Cane because he's trying to fast track him into becoming the player we need him to be. Forcing Cane to earn things will pay dividends in the long run. And yes, Cane played a great game vs. ECU. He is responding to Cronin and adjusting and Cronin is rewarding him. There really is a method to the madness.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:56 PM   #27
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Cronin really isn't stupid and personally I think he's very hard on Cane because he's trying to fast track him into becoming the player we need him to be. Forcing Cane to earn things will pay dividends in the long run. And yes, Cane played a great game vs. ECU. He is responding to Cronin and adjusting and Cronin is rewarding him. There really is a method to the madness.
If you put B in [brackets] before the first word you want to bold, then put /B at the end in [brackets]
Old 01-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #28
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
If you put B in [brackets] before the first word you want to bold, then put /B at the end in [brackets]
Don't actually put the word brackets...that's where you put the B or /B. I just can't do it bc it'll bold my own post and not show you how.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:06 PM   #29
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
Beyond the convo of starting or minutes split.

Just strictly +/- speaking. It can't be completely random that basically every game there a difference in Broome's favor. Why is it in Broome's favor? I just start by watching how they play. And I think the +/- speaks to how much Broome can bother the opposing defense with his aggressiveness.
Serious question -- do we have actual +/- stats or are we relying strictly on Canes biggest fan to provide them? Also there's many factors that play into +/-. Mostly defense strategy like you said and offensive strategy. What role is Justin being asked to do and what role is Cane being asked? We get off to really slow starts and that hurts Justins +/- and I can point to many reasons why there's many factors to this. The ball is in Justin's hands and we don't press with him in. When Cane's in the ball goes through Evans at the top of the key and we aggressively press. If Cane started I think we'd still start slow because we don't press and we play half court ball and pound the paint or chuck up threes. Maybe Justin in the press would help his numbers. He's quick and a dynamic passer in the open court.

Again, yes Cane is a better player, but they're being asked to do two different things based on their skill set. And I 100 percent think we get more out of Justin playing with the starters than we would him off the bench with mixed lineups. Canes game translates better regardless of the talent around him. I think Justin starting maximizes his 15-20 minutes. I personally hope though we get to the point where Cane plays 30 plus minutes a game but still utilize him in the press as much as possible. He's the talent to make a really good team great. Justin isnt.

Last edited by david aka the TYZ; 01-24-2018 at 07:13 PM.