Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Minutes 2018-2019

This is the toughest squad to predict minutes I can remember. It makes my head spin. The only thing that seems like a sure thing is Cumblerland for 30+. He will play 35+ in the bigger/closer games and maybe around 25 in blowouts. So I will pencil him in at one of the wing positions. So that leaves...

Brooks
Nsoseme
Scott
Diara
Hardnett
Williams
Moore
Johnson
Broome
Jenifer
TBD
TBD

PG. Broome, Jenifer, Johnson. Based on last year this is a tough call as to how this will work. Will Cane get the keys or will we put him on the wing so Jenifer can play? Will Johnson's length over Jenifer become important if we do slide Broome to the wing? Will Johnson even get that chance?

Wing. Moore, Williams, Broome. Do we run with small ball a lot? Will Broome see any time on the wing? Can we run with Jenifer, Broome, Cumberland, and Williams/Moore and Brooks/Nsoseme together?

F. Scott, Diara, Hardnett. What will Diara and Hardnett look like? Will we run a lot of small ball? Will we need the outside shooting of Diara or Hardnett opposed to running with Scott who doesn't offer that dimension?

C. Brooks, Nsoseme, Scott. Any chance we run with either Brooks or Nsoseme NOT on the court barring foul trouble? Can Nsoseme pass Brooks in terms of value with rebounding and mobility on D? Will they split minutes? Will they be in foul trouble a lot forcing us to go with Scott at times?

We can't say anything about the players TBD. We haven't seen any of Hardnett or Johnson and very little of Diara. Any chance they pass another player that has been in the system longer?
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #2
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Last year Broome and Jenifer averaged around 20 mpg. Then came Scott and Moore around 12 mpg. Then Williams and Brooks around 10 mpg. Then Diara and Nsoseme around 6 mpg.

We have to replace the minutes of Evans, Clark, and Washington.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
This is the toughest squad to predict minutes I can remember. It makes my head spin. The only thing that seems like a sure thing is Cumblerland for 30+. He will play 35+ in the bigger/closer games and maybe around 25 in blowouts. So I will pencil him in at one of the wing positions. So that leaves...

Brooks
Nsoseme
Scott
Diara
Hardnett
Williams
Moore
Johnson
Broome
Jenifer
TBD
TBD

PG. Broome, Jenifer, Johnson. Based on last year this is a tough call as to how this will work. Will Cane get the keys or will we put him on the wing so Jenifer can play? Will Johnson's length over Jenifer become important if we do slide Broome to the wing? Will Johnson even get that chance?

Wing. Moore, Williams, Broome. Do we run with small ball a lot? Will Broome see any time on the wing? Can we run with Jenifer, Broome, Cumberland, and Williams/Moore and Brooks/Nsoseme together?

F. Scott, Diara, Hardnett. What will Diara and Hardnett look like? Will we run a lot of small ball? Will we need the outside shooting of Diara or Hardnett opposed to running with Scott who doesn't offer that dimension?

C. Brooks, Nsoseme, Scott. Any chance we run with either Brooks or Nsoseme NOT on the court barring foul trouble? Can Nsoseme pass Brooks in terms of value with rebounding and mobility on D? Will they split minutes? Will they be in foul trouble a lot forcing us to go with Scott at times?

We can't say anything about the players TBD. We haven't seen any of Hardnett or Johnson and very little of Diara. Any chance they pass another player that has been in the system longer?
I never want to hear in another recruiting thread that a guy chose someone else because of minutes. Tons of minutes up for grabs next year.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #4
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Of the new guys I see Johnson as being the best...but he is behind Broome and Jenifer giving him the least opportunity.

I am guessing Hardnett will need a year to get up to speed but I could see him being used sparingly at forward and wing (for small ball).

Diara is tough to call but I will call him new since we didn't see much of him. He offers outside shooting and some nice blocking ability but he seemed to be a guy who wants to get his shot off (ala Quadri) and I am not sure he is going to offer the all around D that Scott will. If he is focused on getting shots off he will be limited again.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
I never want to hear in another recruiting thread that a guy chose someone else because of minutes. Tons of minutes up for grabs next year.
If given an equal chance to compete with veterans I would agree.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #6
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
i personally think next years team has a chance to be really good. And better than the sum of its parts.

We have a group of guys who all excel at one part of the game and could really become a good team if they gel

Cumberland: All Around star, 3 level scorer, go-to guy and great help defender

Broome: Blossomed into an elite shooter off the catch, great in transistion and getting to the rim

Jenifer: Calming presence on the court, protects the ball and developing 3 point shot late in the clock

Scott: Defensive Stud, can guard 1-5, can pass from the high post and play make. Potential Glue guy and maybe even gary clark lite

Brooks: Enforcer in the middle, defends decent. Rim protector against certain lineups

Nsesome: Rebounding Hound. Nose for the ball. Will not be outworked. Energy guy as well

Williams: The dribble drive penetrating athlete

Moore: The Sharpshooting wing that brings intensity and effort every possession

Diarra: The Skilled Stretch 4 who can shoot. Can be go to scorer if improves basketball IQ

Johnson: The ultra athletic Playmaker, can score on all 3 levels, plays intense

Hardnett: The Athletic long term project who knows what it takes to win.

And if we land Fredericks: He is the final piece of the puzzle. scoring, rebounding and defensive presence at the wing position to keep Williams and Moore working hard.

This team is not rich in raw potential but it does seem to be smartly constructed with different types of players. We have a little bit of everything. Also this team will have zero issues in knowing who its best player is: its Jarron Cumberland and its not even close
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #7
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Moore = sharpshooting?
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #8
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
i personally think next years team has a chance to be really good. And better than the sum of its parts.

We have a group of guys who all excel at one part of the game and could really become a good team if they gel

Cumberland: All Around star, 3 level scorer, go-to guy and great help defender

Broome: Blossomed into an elite shooter off the catch, great in transistion and getting to the rim

Jenifer: Calming presence on the court, protects the ball and developing 3 point shot late in the clock

Scott: Defensive Stud, can guard 1-5, can pass from the high post and play make. Potential Glue guy and maybe even gary clark lite

Brooks: Enforcer in the middle, defends decent. Rim protector against certain lineups

Nsesome: Rebounding Hound. Nose for the ball. Will not be outworked. Energy guy as well

Williams: The dribble drive penetrating athlete

Moore: The Sharpshooting wing that brings intensity and effort every possession

Diarra: The Skilled Stretch 4 who can shoot. Can be go to scorer if improves basketball IQ

Johnson: The ultra athletic Playmaker, can score on all 3 levels, plays intense

Hardnett: The Athletic long term project who knows what it takes to win.

And if we land Fredericks: He is the final piece of the puzzle. scoring, rebounding and defensive presence at the wing position to keep Williams and Moore working hard.

This team is not rich in raw potential but it does seem to be smartly constructed with different types of players. We have a little bit of everything. Also this team will have zero issues in knowing who its best player is: its Jarron Cumberland and its not even close
I think it's important we get guys like Scott, Diara, Brooks, Nsoseme, Williams, and Moore to pick up an additional dimension to their game on offense in the off season or they will be somewhat easy to defend. At least a couple of them have to do that.

Williams...shooting
Moore...ball handling/driving
Brooks...add another post move
Nsoseme...work on his shot close range and FT's
Scott...outside shooting and/or post move
Old 04-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #9
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

Brooks
Nsoseme
Scott
Diara
Hardnett
Williams
Moore
Johnson
Broome
Jenifer
TBD
TBD

Logan Johnson could be Chris Paul and he wouldn't get the chance to surpass Jenifer. We know how that goes.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:46 PM   #10
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Logan Johnson could be Chris Paul and he wouldn't get the chance to surpass Jenifer. We know how that goes.
I wonder if we shouldn't red shirt Johnson because of this? He's got 2 guys ahead of him at PG. The only way he can make a difference is if Broome slides over to the wing and we let Johnson split some time with Jenifer at point. Unless we can play Johnson on the wing. He looks like he has the ability to be an impact player...I sure wouldn't mind having an extra ball handler who can drive and shoot out there.