Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #11
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser Mentality View Post
It's the Reds, Bengals, and UC Football losing to Memphis twice that keeps us down, because we could rely on UC Hoops until the NCAA tourney. Not this year. And FC bombed somewhat.
You guys are missing out on Bearcats volleyball. Their comeback upset win over Pitt to reach the sweet sixteen was really exciting. They have one of the best hitters in history.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #12
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No offense but really? Logan, Curtis were unproven players. Jaevin would not be here. 1 shooter that was Cumberland and there was no guarantee he was coming back. No damn bench, bunch of never played players besides Ellie..get me a rebound lol.

Mick knew it, that's why he bolted, he didn't have enough players to throw under the bus for the upcoming season. But that's okay, we are starting somewhat fresh, so the growing pains are natural.

It's the Reds, Bengals, and UC Football losing to Memphis twice that keeps us down, because we could rely on UC Hoops until the NCAA tourney. Not this year. And FC bombed somewhat.
We were in preseason top 25's dude. If you think Mick left because he was scared of the challenges of a new season and a roster that only lost 2 players..... Uhhhh taking the UCLA job means you have belief in your self.

He bolted because his relationship was about as bad as it could be with his boss.

I mean you realize that last years team overachieved. We weren't supposed to be good. We had just lost Kyle, Jacob and Gary clark. But we took that team, led by a 5'11 PG that everyone hated for 3 years, and turned it around for a pretty damn good season.

And go back and listen to The Skinny podcast, it was in the season still and Chad brings up that... UC could add another Cumberland.

Add in that, Jaevin only committed here once he knew his cousin was returning. If Jarron leaves, Jaevin is likely at Michigan.

So you really think that Mick left because he thought he was going to miss the tourney with this years team? Yikes. Thats a bad take man. We have 9 years of evidence to show he did more with way less than this.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:51 AM   #13
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
We were in preseason top 25's dude. If you think Mick left because he was scared of the challenges of a new season and a roster that only lost 2 players..... Uhhhh taking the UCLA job means you have belief in your self.

He bolted because his relationship was about as bad as it could be with his boss.

I mean you realize that last years team overachieved. We weren't supposed to be good. We had just lost Kyle, Jacob and Gary clark. But we took that team, led by a 5'11 PG that everyone hated for 3 years, and turned it around for a pretty damn good season.

And go back and listen to The Skinny podcast, it was in the season still and Chad brings up that... UC could add another Cumberland.

Add in that, Jaevin only committed here once he knew his cousin was returning. If Jarron leaves, Jaevin is likely at Michigan.

So you really think that Mick left because he thought he was going to miss the tourney with this years team? Yikes. Thats a bad take man. We have 9 years of evidence to show he did more with way less than this.
I'm not saying that. His relationship with his boss trickled down to recruiting, when it comes to replacing 4 year players like Gary. Losing Broome and Jenifer left a hole as well. PreSeason rankings are cute, but that's it. Cincinnati will always be the "What If" team. The AAC is getting better and better recruits to combat what UC once had. We are reloading with a new cast and outlook which is fresh. I can never take away what Mick accomplished, but he always could have done more when Recruiting was once his claim to fame. Never Forget.
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #14
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
This thread was supposed to be about what THIS team THIS year and RIGHT now can do to change the course a little bit!! How can we improve and get this ship headed in a better direction?

It's not about Cronin vs brannen again. Good grief
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:42 AM   #15
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
This thread was supposed to be about what THIS team THIS year and RIGHT now can do to change the course a little bit!!

Jarron gets healthy.

/thread
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #16
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This thread was supposed to be about what THIS team THIS year and RIGHT now can do to change the course a little bit!! How can we improve and get this ship headed in a better direction?

LOL! Okay what's up with Zach Harvey? Is he Freshman Year Keith Williams 2.0? Get that young man on the floor. With the scoring droughts we go through, from what I've seen, he can get to the FT line. Is he still hurt?

That bench needs to average 30 pts a game period.
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:06 PM   #17
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
LOL! Okay what's up with Zach Harvey? Is he Freshman Year Keith Williams 2.0? Get that young man on the floor. With the scoring droughts we go through, from what I've seen, he can get to the FT line. Is he still hurt?

That bench needs to average 30 pts a game period.

i think not playing for around a year, and then he was still wearing a protective boot when they weren't playing games and he's just rusty and not in form.

he's also pressing when he's out there. you can see he wants to impress but for freshman less is more a lot of the time. play within your game and let it come naturally. he's not doing that.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:10 PM   #18
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:

The ONLY reason the past was brought up was because it was used as an excuse.

I don’t want to talk about last years team either. But thought it was silly to blame our issues on micks recruiting when Keith willians is our leading scorer and Tre Scott our leading rebounder.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #19
justinhub2003
Epic Member

I think we should give a shot at letting Jaevin, Jarron, Keith Tre and Vogt start.

Let MAW & McNeal come off the bench.

That said, if we do see Harvey continue to not get minutes, I would be concerned about him transferring. Brannen seems to always have roster turnover. So to me, it’s a delicate situation that hopefully Harvey sees the light at the end of the tunnel with a ton of playing time coming open:
Old 12-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #20
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Mick was using his normal formula of one high level player per class.
He got Jacob Evans
He got Jarron
He got Keith Williams (who is the star of this team at the moment)
He got a 4 star pg in Logan Johnson
He got Samari Curtis who was a 4 star by some scouts

If he doesn’t leave: the only likely departure Is fredericks

Logan might have stayed, hard to say. He left for personal reasons but I’m a sure new coach didn’t help

So your talking about a lineup of:
Logan
Jarron
Keith
Tre
Nysier

With Diarra, Trevor, Curtis, Jaevin Cumberland, & Ellie

And yes I included Jaevin because the talks of him coming to cincinnati to play with Jarron literally had nothing to do with John Brannen. Brendal mentioned the smoke surrounding Jaevin coming long before mick left on the skinny podcast.

That above team makes the tourney and is In the top 25 all year.

So with that said, if that above team Is a tourney team and Is top 25, and what your saying is true that mick just gave up on getting players, then it instead validates him as a very high level coach to squeeze that kinda result out of the scrubs he recruited since Gary Clark.

Stop implying that mick left the cupboard bare. How many new coaches around the country got to say they returned their top 3 leading scorers?

Mick inherited a young shitty team at UCLA and they still lost their top 3 scorers, Aaron mckie lost his leading scorer., Travis Steele lost blueitt and macula,

CJB was given an incredible start to his tenure with Keith and Jarron and Tre. He literally has his prototypical player that he wants in Keith Williams and he didn’t even have to recruit him.

Like I get it, the sky isn’t falling yet. But it has taken the fun and excitement away from the basketball program a little bit.

But its also hard for me to hear you out on micks recruiting being an after thought, when in the early signing period we have 3 guys signed but only 1 has a few high major offers.
0.00000 % chance Jaevin came here with Mick here. Never would have happened. Never ever ever ever ever
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote