Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Troy Caupain, biggest steal in '13 class

With all of the social media, recruiting websites, etc., it is very hard for recruits to fall through the cracks now. Yet, some still do. I would argue that SO FAR, Troy Caupain has been the biggest steal out of the 2013 class in all of college basketball. If they went back after the season and re-ranked this recruiting class, I would have him in the top 20-30. He is smart, he plays hard, and he is calmer than any freshman I have seen in a while. His future is very bright, that is for sure.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Amberlycolonel

Amberlycolonel is on a distinguished road
If this young man bucks the trend and improves under the program, he will be a force in a year or so. Bring in Strickland next year and the sky will be the limit. Just fearful that this is the best we are going to see out of him. Too many examples to reinforce that fear. Still, can be hopeful.
Amberlycolonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Disagree that players haven't improved but back to Caupain. Some injuries kept him from playing a lot of AAU his last year. This doesn't surprise me and it will get even better.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
Amberlycolonel

Amberlycolonel is on a distinguished road
I cannot wait to see him, Strickland, and Lawrence on the court together. To me, that will be when the excitement could start.
Amberlycolonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberlycolonel View Post
If this young man bucks the trend and improves under the program, he will be a force in a year or so. Bring in Strickland next year and the sky will be the limit. Just fearful that this is the best we are going to see out of him. Too many examples to reinforce that fear. Still, can be hopeful.
Is JJ on that list of players not to buck the trend? If he is...there is some serious re-evaluation in order. I don't care if you think it was coach or player that made the transformation...but I can guarantee you coach had at least a little do with it.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
waterhead
Senior Moderator

We have had JJ, SK, ST, and TR at the very least come into the season with improved physical bodies, athletecism, leadership, and focus. We can attribute that to players (and I give them credit) or we can attribute some of that to our coach for inspiring them to put in the work and letting them know we are counting on you. I call that coaching a player up.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I should have mentioned GG and JS because they both did some serious work on their bodies. GG has the highest vertical on the team and JS has leaned down big time.

It would be extremely rare to see so many players make these transformations without a coach who was asking/requiring it.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #8
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
I think Chad mentioned that the major recruiting analysts like Telep and Meyer of ESPN and 247 respectively never actually saw him play at any AAU tournaments...therefore he wasn't ranked in the top 150 by any of their services. What a great find by Larry Davis and the staff did a great job at pegging him as a PG when people thought he was a combo guard. The kid is special.

Gary Clarke has a chance to be the Troy of the '14 class...
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #9
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
I think Chad mentioned that the major recruiting analysts like Telep and Meyer of ESPN and 247 respectively never actually saw him play at any AAU tournaments...therefore he wasn't ranked in the top 150 by any of their services. What a great find by Larry Davis and the staff did a great job at pegging him as a PG when people thought he was a combo guard. The kid is special.

Gary Clarke has a chance to be the Troy of the '14 class...
Hearing about Gary Clark recently makes it hard to stay rational as a fan without getting too optimistic. I like Koolaid...but I don't want to be THAT guy.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #10
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Hearing about Gary Clark recently makes it hard to stay rational as a fan without getting too optimistic. I like Koolaid...but I don't want to be THAT guy.
I also temper my expectations for freshman, but Clark seems to have that "it" gene like Troy. Give him a few years and he will be a very good player.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote