Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2019, 10:01 PM   #61
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
McNeal has not made his 3's since the exhibition game but he does a lot on the floor on both ends. He has led in steals both games. He has rebounded well for his size. He made 4 of 5 two point shots tonight. He defends well. He had 4 assists tonight with 0 turnovers. Perhaps the play of the night with the Flash Gordon layup. This kid was an extremely good pickup and I can't even remember the PG's on the transfer board at the time!!

Often times you expect a bit of a delay for a transfer. He's ahead of the game and I think Jaevin is as well. Both are tough as nails gamers IMO.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:35 PM   #62
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I know a lot of fans are happy with the 5's so far. I am definitely content with how they have played. I still worry a lot. I don't think there has been a lot of focus on them so far and that may continue but if there is focus it's going to get worse. In particular with Vogt and his back down dribble...that is going to get picked very soon and often from the back side. It's awkward but so far has worked.

Remember Ellis? Well he was much better than either of these two but he got picked a lot and turned it over. I think they have done a very good job and they are ahead of where I thought they might be...but I don't think this will be an all year thing. Sooner or later we will learn their limitations. I will still be content if they can keep doing something similar to what they have so far...if they do it all year long.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:00 PM   #63
waterhead
Senior Moderator

This game could have been a 30-40 point blowout if we played as hard as we could with the "starters" in the game (I include Jaevin as a starter).

The line was 10-12. I think this was a success all the way around! If we can strangle these teams in the 100-200 range we will be looking good in metrics very soon.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:39 PM   #64
KennyFreaselefteye

KennyFreaselefteye is on a distinguished road
The fact that people support Mick is a joke 😂. I watched better basketball tonight than the entire Cronin tenure. Our defense was stifling, and we actually ran some offensive sets. Vogt is 20 times better than Nsoseme.

Mick recruited Diarra, and my god he’s going to have to find a different school. I watched him for 10 minutes straight, just him. He doesn’t rebound. He’s not aggressive on defense. He’s soft. Literally as useless as Quadri Moore. And he will not figure it out. Some people just don’t have the brain for the game. Seems like a great kid and obviously I want him to succeed. But damn, it’s no wonder Mick was looking to bolt. He recruited the likes of Hardnett, Diarra, Nsoseme and Fredericks to be the future. And that Curtis kid who can’t see the floor at Nebraska. John Brannen is a damn good breath of fresh air. Mick Cronin can enjoy the LA sun with his SPF 300. This team is very nice, and this Coach was the answer.

Disclaimer: Mick was a very good coach with what he had. The fact that he took a team with Farad Cobb and Kevin Johnson in the starting lineup to the round of 32 proves that. But he was taking us nowhere. Brannen is that guy.
KennyFreaselefteye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:52 PM   #65
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFreaselefteye View Post
The fact that people support Mick is a joke 😂. I watched better basketball tonight than the entire Cronin tenure. Our defense was stifling, and we actually ran some offensive sets. Vogt is 20 times better than Nsoseme.

Mick recruited Diarra, and my god he’s going to have to find a different school. I watched him for 10 minutes straight, just him. He doesn’t rebound. He’s not aggressive on defense. He’s soft. Literally as useless as Quadri Moore. And he will not figure it out. Some people just don’t have the brain for the game. Seems like a great kid and obviously I want him to succeed. But damn, it’s no wonder Mick was looking to bolt. He recruited the likes of Hardnett, Diarra, Nsoseme and Fredericks to be the future. And that Curtis kid who can’t see the floor at Nebraska. John Brannen is a damn good breath of fresh air. Mick Cronin can enjoy the LA sun with his SPF 300. This team is very nice, and this Coach was the answer.

Disclaimer: Mick was a very good coach with what he had. The fact that he took a team with Farad Cobb and Kevin Johnson in the starting lineup to the round of 32 proves that. But he was taking us nowhere. Brannen is that guy.
A couple of things. I think Curtis will get some good time at Nebraska and be good for them. You can't just do that in game 1 or 2 usually. And it terms of Diara getting aggressive on D...I don't know anyone more aggressive. He challenges EVERY shot! He may get out of position but he is aggressive in his approach. He may be TOO aggressive!!
Old 11-12-2019, 05:46 AM   #66
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
If his best position is a 4 than he is in big trouble. He would have gotten dominated as a 4 against either OSU or Drake. I know he was forced to play the 4 at times (albeit a very, very small sample) but I'm surprised people have ran with this idea that he'd be any bit effective there.
Against a frontcourt of Kaleb Wesson and Kyle Young, throwing Moore on either of them would be far less than ideal, but based on how much a healthy Diarra played in his place (3 minutes), Brannen didn't have much confidence in him either.

As for last night, you're absolutely wrong to say Moore would've gotten physically dominated by Drake's "4" man. They literally played 4 true guards the entire game. Their starting "4" was a 6'5 wing who grabbed 3 rebounds in 24 minutes, and aside from the guy spelled their center, they didn't bring anyone off the bench over 6'3 (or who had any semblance of a post game).

A healthy and confident Moore could've had a positive impact on last night's game and I hope we see some positive strides made against a very bad Alabama A&M team.

Going forward, regardless of whether Moore plays the 3 or the 4, I trust our team's +/- better with Moore on the court over Diarra. Less foul prone, less turnover prone, can space the floor better, and won't leave his man for open rebounds to contest every shot that goes up within 5 feet of him.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:54 AM   #67
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFreaselefteye View Post

I don't know what you were watching, are you sure you weren't watching Sorolla? Diarra is consistently aggressive and fighting for the rebound. His issue is with understanding the game, he boxes out the wrong man and goes for the block when he should go for the rebound. It's not that he doesn't have the brain, it's that he started playing basketball later than most guys.

I'm still in wait and see mode. I didn't think our half-court offense looked that good. The main part that looked good was because of Drake defensive breakdowns (doubling off the Cumberland's and going under screens on the Cumberland's) and our defense forcing TO's. Blowing out bad teamstends to make teams look good, even Cronin's teams generally scored in the 70s-80s against bad teams.

McNeal looks good, but seems like a poor 3-point shooter if not wide open. Sorolla and Vogt continue to look like liabilities once we start facing good teams. Jaevin looks like the real deal, but could be negated by having a defender stay in his face. Scott needs to show up more on offense (though he has an impact through rebounding).

Some of the freshman looked good (MAW especially), but we will see once competition level increases. Brannen didn't trust any of them vs OSU.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:49 AM   #68
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
We just played a good team and our centers were fine. Not saying they are great or even good but they were fine against a good team not even a week ago. I’m not putting too much stock in the drake game but I think they could show strides and gain confidence the next couple weeks.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:51 AM   #69
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
you crack me up Skyeblade. You literally cannot say one good thing about this team without hedging it. Javein "could be negated by having a hand in his face"...okay, so like any shooter? good call. Javein ran around a screen, caught and launched a 3 with a defender right on him and it was nothing but net. By far the best shooter we have had since Huggins years, yet he "could" be negated by a hand in his face. lol.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:23 AM   #70
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
you crack me up Skyeblade. You literally cannot say one good thing about this team without hedging it. Javein "could be negated by having a hand in his face"...okay, so like any shooter? good call. Javein ran around a screen, caught and launched a 3 with a defender right on him and it was nothing but net. By far the best shooter we have had since Huggins years, yet he "could" be negated by a hand in his face. lol.
He doesn't need much space to get a shot off. He makes very quick decisions and never hesitates. And he can launch long bombs. He creates his shots seemingly very easy as well. Good luck guarding that. So pretty!!

If he heats up Jarron is going to appreciate that because it will take some focus off of him. Jaevin may not even have to heat up to get attention.

He needs to be on the floor a LOT because you cannot ignore him. He is a much more dangerous weapon than Keith is.