Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2019, 05:29 AM   #41
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Got it... so stating facts is dumb ?

I can’t help it thst Tre Scott is worse under Brannen then he was under mick.

Tre Scott had a 114 offensive rating his sophomore year
113 his JR year

And now this season has a 98.4... which is by far the worst of his career.

He was a good passing big but his assist rate is the lowest of his career.

I’m 100% positive Tre turns it around.

Your out here crucifying Tre Scott, even though he’s the one who learned a new system after 4 years of an old one and your giving zero grace. But people giving all kinds of excuses for CJB and this terrible start isn’t his fault.

Tre and Jarron have had career worst numbers under Brannen’s system, and Keith has improved. But he was already improving year over year. His jumps from freshmen to sophomore was incredible and were seeing a star player being born for what should be an amazing senior season.

Listen.... you can spin it how ever you want. The reality is UC returned its top 3 scorers, it’s leading assist guy and its leading rebounder.

Lololol and one of those guys was z as preseason all American and nod your acting like the returning players don’t matter:

Kenpom’s started us 24th in kenpom because the metrics said we should be good.

And I love how you try to invalidate the top 3 scorers returning. Like yea, if Brannen inherited a team who returned its 3 best players from a team that won 5 games, then I’d see your point. But that’s not the case, he returned 3 leading players from a 28 win team and one of them was a preseason all American. I don’t understand how your trying to spin this.
The all American is hurt. (I think, who knows). That seems to be an important part of this equation. Do you think we would have won 28 games last year with Jarron hurt?
Just saying, 2 of the 3 returning leading scorers were never considered good scorers. Throw in all the metrics you want, literally no one ever looked at Tre and said, “that guy can score”. You keep saying we return leading scorers and UCLA doesn’t but UCLA has far better talent. Aside from Jarron.
And your right, anyone can spin it any way they want. That’s why it’s fun to argue about.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 12-13-2019 at 06:12 AM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:44 AM   #42
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I think our chances of making the tourney are very slim. If Jarron is hurt, We don’t have any chance against better teams and we need a couple good wins. It would take Harvey and Davenport playing a lot better, Jarron getting healthy and motivated, and Tre actually playing well and I haven’t seen many signs of these things happening.
Three of our best 4 games were the first 3 when we had only 30% of the offense installed. It was probably a lot easier to understand at that point and we didn't have to do as much thinking. This isn't going to get a lot better fast enough. I think our hopes right now are to gradually get better by end of season and win the conference tourney (long shot I know) if we are going to make the dance. We will have too many losses with only gradual improvement.

The turnovers aren't getting better and Brannen isn't going to slow it down so it's going to take time.

I don't know what is going on with McNeal. He has had 2 points in the last 4 games combined with no steals. He had 8 steals in the first 3 games. He's not going to the rack anymore which was probably his best option. MAW can shoot but he's not getting a lot of assists. He's got 3 in his last 5 games to go with 7 turnovers. Perhaps it's time to put Jarron at PG and bring Jaevin in? He assists and scores and makes plays.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #43
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Three of our best 4 games were the first 3 when we had only 30% of the offense installed. It was probably a lot easier to understand at that point and we didn't have to do as much thinking. This isn't going to get a lot better fast enough. I think our hopes right now are to gradually get better by end of season and win the conference tourney (long shot I know) if we are going to make the dance. We will have too many losses with only gradual improvement.

The turnovers aren't getting better and Brannen isn't going to slow it down so it's going to take time.

I don't know what is going on with McNeal. He has had 2 points in the last 4 games combined with no steals. He had 8 steals in the first 3 games. He's not going to the rack anymore which was probably his best option. MAW can shoot but he's not getting a lot of assists. He's got 3 in his last 5 games to go with 7 turnovers. Perhaps it's time to put Jarron at PG and bring Jaevin in? He assists and scores and makes plays.
Put your best 5 out there.

Vogt
Scott
Williams
Cumberland
Cumberland

Sorolla and MAW first off the bench. See what happens. MAW can spell players as a PG or SG. Sorolla gives Vogt a break. You just have to figure out who can come in for Scott to give him a break. Maybe we just play small with Williams, Cumberlands and MAW with one of the bigs on the court.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:15 AM   #44
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

I wonder how much right now the turnovers are due to players not knowing where the other player is going when they make the pass. Chemistry and familiarity. In the most efficient offenses players are familiar with one another and what decisions they will make on reads. We have thrown more balls out of bounds than I care to remember. Some of them were not even close to the target.

Every player has to make the same read in the same situation for turnovers like that to go down. Brannen made a point in the presser about non steal turnovers...we are horrible. Traveling calls and just throwing the ball away etc. I can deal with some traveling and a few steals here and there but throwing the ball away this much is criminal. We look silly at times with how far away the target was to the pass.

I remember pre season comments about "on time on target passing" being a major focal point. We haven't been on time or on target
Old 12-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #45
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

We don't need a PG for this system to work. If we get hurt in a press then I can see needing to put one in for that situation. Brannen has played without PG's before. Put Jaevin in the starting lineup. See what happens and make adjustments.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:34 AM   #46
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We don't need a PG for this system to work. If we get hurt in a press then I can see needing to put one in for that situation. Brannen has played without PG's before. Put Jaevin in the starting lineup. See what happens and make adjustments.

the fact is though, Jaevin helped blow the game as much as Jarron did.

His turnover then silly foul after the turnover coupled with bricking 2 straight free throws is the reason why we were tied.

We blow leads. That comes from everyone on the court at this point.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #47
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
the fact is though, Jaevin helped blow the game as much as Jarron did.

His turnover then silly foul after the turnover coupled with bricking 2 straight free throws is the reason why we were tied.

We blow leads. That comes from everyone on the court at this point.
I am not really talking about a Colgate standpoint...just overall would like to try something new. Jaevin knows how to play BB. He can shoot the 3, makes some nice passes and has gotten to the rim a few times.

We aren't very good on D and he won't help there but he can help to make the offense run better IMO. I don't have the plus minus numbers but something has to give. MAW does not make a lot of plays for others. Jarron does. Jaevin does a pretty good job.

Jaevin is at 19.8 points per 40. 3.4 assists. 1.2 steals. 2.8 turnovers.
MAW is at 13.2 points per 40. 1.8 assists. .8 steals. 3.6 turnovers.

I like MAW a lot but as a first off the bench option with Sorolla.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #48
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Time for Jaevin to start!!! Sign the petition...let's get it rolling

I wanna see him play 35 minutes just to see what the hell we can create when he logs that type of minutes. How much worse is he on D than McNeal who hasn't had a steal since game 3 or MAW a frosh who's only had 3 on the season? I realize there is more to D than steals but just how big of a difference is there on the ball?

McNeal has stopped taking any chances/aggression at all on offense or D. MAW is not a lock down guy right now either.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #49
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Time for Jaevin to start!!! Sign the petition...let's get it rolling

I wanna see him play 35 minutes just to see what the hell we can create when he logs that type of minutes. How much worse is he on D than McNeal who hasn't had a steal since game 3 or MAW a frosh who's only had 3 on the season? I realize there is more to D than steals but just how big of a difference is there on the ball?

McNeal has stopped taking any chances/aggression at all on offense or D. MAW is not a lock down guy right now either.
If McNeal continues to play the way he is, he is essentially useless out there.. Shooting slumps happen and he is in one but he is not aggressive at all anymore, he doesn't drive to the basket like he did early in the season... I think that BG game really f'd him up
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #50
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Harvey should be 1st off bench.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote