Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2012 Recruiting Profiles

Old 03-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
'12 MS SG Trency Jackson (Northwest Florida State College)

Originally comitted to S.Miss. but eligibility issues sent him to the JUCO ranks. He is a heady, athletic, tough defender who can score when called upon. He's 6'2" and goes around 190 lbs.. Could be interesting to watch if two bigs aren't signed.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
After spending the 2010-2011 school year at Southern Miss, battling NCAA eligibility and clearinghouse hurdles, Trency Jackson left the program to play for coach Steve Forbes and attend Northwest Florida State Junior College. The move has paid off as Jackson has played a key role helping the Raiders to a 29-1 record and state championship. Next up in the Nationals and Jackson could not say enough about his time at the school.

“The best part have been playing against top competition because the Panhandle [Conference] is like the top JUCO conference in the country,” Jackson told NBE on Sunday. “I’ve also loved playing with my teammates and coaching staff this year, one of the best.”

The 6-foot-2, 190-pound Jackson has been a complete team player for the Raiders. Despite modest statistics with around 11 points and 5 rebounds a game, Jackson made 1st Team All-Panhandle Conference this season. His strengths on the floor will likely be welcomed by any number of college teams recruiting him.

“I’ll say my strengths are my athleticism, ability to score and my tough on-ball defense,” he said.

He showed a glimpse of that athleticism with the dunk below against Chipola earlier this season, a dunk that has made the rounds of youtube this year:

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012...y-of-interest/

Jackson has also used his time at NW Florida State to improve his game, making him very intriguing for college coaches as he still has three years of eligibility left to play.

“The area that improved is my jump shot definitely,” said Jackson. “Also just the way I approach and play the game now, I play much smarter now than [in] high school.”

Jackson was a highly sought after recruit from Jackson (MS) and Wingfield High School where he led his team to a 29-1 record in his senior year, averaging over 20 points and 6 assists a game. He chose Southern Miss over USC, UAB and others, but a question on his ACT score had things held up on the Clearinghouse. He remained enrolled at Southern Miss and practiced with Larry Eustachy’s club for the year, but decided to move on to the JUCO ranks and explore other options.

“I will have three years to play at D-1…[I] got marked ineligible to play by the NCAA clearinghouse,” he said.

Now his options are plentiful and growing. Jackson told NBE that Pittsburgh, Purdue, Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, Nebraska, Marquette, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Wichita State are schools he is considering that are actively recruiting him.

“I’ll say everyone is equal, no leaders [right now],” he said.

Jackson still has some work to do on the season and then he will put more of his attention toward his recruitment. He plans to make some visits and then come up with a school that matches up with what he listed as important factors in his decision.

“I plan to make my decision after my season and visits to some of the schools,” he said. “A factor will probably be my playing time net year for the school and my comfort with the team and head coach.”

NBE will definitely monitor the process as Trency Jackson could be a late period recruit that makes an immediate impact at a high level Division 1-A program next season. Stay tuned…
Old 03-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Trency's team advances. He has 17 pts., 5 assists on 5/7 shooting from the three point line. He is 8/14 from behind the arc so far in the tournament.

Brad Winton‏@JucoRecruiting

NW Florida State beat Santa Fe to advance to the regional championship game. NW FL plays winner of Palm Beach State and Central FL

Last edited by bearcat jeff; 03-13-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Hicks' Guns

Hicks' Guns is on a distinguished road
PG or 2G? If he's only got 2 years and is a PG, I wonder if Cash being our obvious 2012-2013 PG would be a negative in his decision.

If he's that good, I'm sure he can take Dixon's spot and we can work him into the Cash, SK, Parker mix.
Hicks' Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks' Guns View Post
PG or 2G? If he's only got 2 years and is a PG, I wonder if Cash being our obvious 2012-2013 PG would be a negative in his decision.

If he's that good, I'm sure he can take Dixon's spot and we can work him into the Cash, SK, Parker mix.
He has 3 years of eligibility.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
mplebanon
Elite Member

mplebanon is on a distinguished road
We definintely need three point shooters. And the kid likes to play defense.
mplebanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplebanon View Post
We definintely need three point shooters. And the kid likes to play defense.
His team has advanced to the NJCAA D1 National Championship game.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
mplebanon
Elite Member

mplebanon is on a distinguished road
If UC misses out on Obekpa, I'd be all for signing this kid. He'd come in as a sophomore which puts him on par with Guyn and JDIII. Parker and Wright graduate after next season, leaving S K as the lone experienced guard. It sure wouldn't hurt to have S K, JDIII, Guyn, and this kid Jackson ready to go. You could throw Sanders into the mix too, as he could play as a big third guard or SF.

Next season with Mbodj (sr), Rubles (jr), Jackson (jr), Gaines (so), Ellis (redshirt frosh hopefully)........seems like alot of big men. I still prefer Obekpa though before signing this kid.
mplebanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
bearcat18
Elite Member

bearcat18 is on a distinguished road
Texas Tech bound.
bearcat18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Qualification issues are a potential problem.