Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-23-2019, 07:14 AM   #21
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
We are going to have 4 seniors, 3 juniors, two sophomores (one of whom is a redshirt sophomore), two redshirt freshmen and Curtis who is Ohio Mr. Basketball. There's not a whole lot of room left for a freshman to contribute. Curtis and our redshirt freshmen will likely have trouble getting on the court. It's unlikely Cronin will find one more recruit who will contribute more then Fredericks, much less two more.
Curtis is gonna have trouble seeing the court? Doubtful
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:24 AM   #22
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
We are going to have 4 seniors, 3 juniors, two sophomores (one of whom is a redshirt sophomore), two redshirt freshmen and Curtis who is Ohio Mr. Basketball. There's not a whole lot of room left for a freshman to contribute. Curtis and our redshirt freshmen will likely have trouble getting on the court. It's unlikely Cronin will find one more recruit who will contribute more then Fredericks, much less two more.
Logan Johnson is our only pg on our roster, someone is going to have to back him up, Curtis right now I would think is his back up, then you consider you have 5 guards/ wings maybe 6 if you include fredericks, Curtis will see the floor quite a bit especially if he can score
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:50 PM   #23
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
I think we could be good next year. Brooks really came on at the end of the year. He has to stay on the floor though. I think Logan could make plays, (both good and some bad). Prince and LaQuill both look intriguing. From the limited film I have seen them play, they look to have some ball skills. Anyone know more about them? We will still have question marks, but I think we could be a top 20 team the majority of the year.

If Mamoudou can improve somewhat and play 10-12 minutes next year, that could really help to keep Brooks out of foul trouble.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 03-24-2019 at 08:57 PM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:52 PM   #24
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
Logan Johnson is our only pg on our roster, someone is going to have to back him up, Curtis right now I would think is his back up, then you consider you have 5 guards/ wings maybe 6 if you include fredericks, Curtis will see the floor quite a bit especially if he can score
I think PG is an overrated position. If you have guys that can dribble and make plays, no need for a traditional point guard. Jarron usually brings the ball up in the late game anyway.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:13 PM   #25
CareBat

CareBat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I think PG is an overrated position. If you have guys that can dribble and make plays, no need for a traditional point guard. Jarron usually brings the ball up in the late game anyway.
I mean, I liked our seniors but it'll be nice to have some guards that can guard the 3 next year. It was tough watching kids shoot over top of them.

Jarron himself remains a big liability on closeouts. Trevon improved as the year went on.
CareBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:01 AM   #26
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Everything starts with whether or not Cumberland comes back obviously so I will throw in that disclaimer. As long as we have him back (and with the new additions) I think we will be better at 4 out of 5 positions and possibly all 5. No disrespect to Jenifer (who had a great season) or Cane who was very valuable for us over the course of his 2 years.

At center we have Brooks who showed improvement over the course of the year. We will see who comes out of the pile in the back up role between Nsoseme and Diara but everyone has an extra year under the belt. From the rumors out there about Prince I would expect him to come in for all of the back up minutes for Scott and perhaps even at times allowing Scott to play the 5 when Brooks is in foul trouble. No longer will we need to see Moore or Fredericks getting those minutes. With the addition of Prince and Hardnett I think we obviously improve a solid situation from the standpoint of the 4 and 5. I think Prince could see 15 mpg his first full playing year. He just seems like a Cronin wet dream type of player.

I would imagine Curtis is going to give us an upgrade at the wing as well (over Moore and Fredericks). I would expect him to be getting the primary backup minutes on the wing by mid season. I don't think it's a huge ask for someone of his caliber to provide a similar scoring punch as Broome did off the bench this year...which was pedestrian. I fully expect Curtis to be putting in 15 mpg and may come closer to 20. He may even take over for Williams as a starter at some point if Keith looks like he did toward the end of the season. But a lot of this depends on Curtis ability to defend. It will also be interesting to see if (or how much) Cumberland plays PG as that would open up another spot for Curtis to fill on the wing. So I think Curtis is going to have some options that may go beyond just back up minutes. He seems like the type of recruit that will be capable of playing a major role ala Evans and Cumberland did even as frosh.

The big question is what is going to happen at the point and perhaps more specifically Johnson in general. If Cumberland is on point will Johnson be the backup or will we play them together? Will we put Johnson on the wing or Curtis if Cumberland plays point? Honestly, I am VERY high on Johnson however, putting the ball in Cumberland's hands on every possession is probably the route we need to go because of his understanding of the game, scoring, and assist ability and it keeps him from having to be constantly running off screens to get the ball. I love the energy Johnson brings and his defense could help us get back to elite status giving us someone who can play lock down on the perimeter (and rebound). But Johnson does not fit the description we need on the wing very well unless he really works on his shot so he may have to wait another year for starter minutes. We lost 2 senior PG's but we haven't lost any depth at the position really...lol!

We are going to be extremely versatile next year...but as usual we are going to need some shooters to step up to help Cumberland. And quite frankly I think we are going to struggle there a bit (and it may be the only place we struggle). I see Williams around 30%. Johnson probably similar 30% range and I just hope Curtis can make 35%. If we don't see a huge jump from Moore (shooting 3's) in the first 10 games of the year...he may as well ride the pine or find a better situation for himself.

I don't see a lot of minutes for Hardnett, Moore, Fredericks, or Ellie and maybe not Diara depending on his improvement and how good Prince is. Someone has to come out of this group to surprise us though. Would be nice to get 2 of them.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:45 AM   #27
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Everything starts with whether or not Cumberland comes back obviously so I will throw in that disclaimer. As long as we have him back (and with the new additions) I think we will be better at 4 out of 5 positions and possibly all 5. No disrespect to Jenifer (who had a great season) or Cane who was very valuable for us over the course of his 2 years.

At center we have Brooks who showed improvement over the course of the year. We will see who comes out of the pile in the back up role between Nsoseme and Diara but everyone has an extra year under the belt. From the rumors out there about Prince I would expect him to come in for all of the back up minutes for Scott and perhaps even at times allowing Scott to play the 5 when Brooks is in foul trouble. No longer will we need to see Moore or Fredericks getting those minutes. With the addition of Prince and Hardnett I think we obviously improve a solid situation from the standpoint of the 4 and 5. I think Prince could see 15 mpg his first full playing year. He just seems like a Cronin wet dream type of player.

I would imagine Curtis is going to give us an upgrade at the wing as well (over Moore and Fredericks). I would expect him to be getting the primary backup minutes on the wing by mid season. I don't think it's a huge ask for someone of his caliber to provide a similar scoring punch as Broome did off the bench this year...which was pedestrian. I fully expect Curtis to be putting in 15 mpg and may come closer to 20. He may even take over for Williams as a starter at some point if Keith looks like he did toward the end of the season. But a lot of this depends on Curtis ability to defend. It will also be interesting to see if (or how much) Cumberland plays PG as that would open up another spot for Curtis to fill on the wing. So I think Curtis is going to have some options that may go beyond just back up minutes. He seems like the type of recruit that will be capable of playing a major role ala Evans and Cumberland did even as frosh.

The big question is what is going to happen at the point and perhaps more specifically Johnson in general. If Cumberland is on point will Johnson be the backup or will we play them together? Will we put Johnson on the wing or Curtis if Cumberland plays point? Honestly, I am VERY high on Johnson however, putting the ball in Cumberland's hands on every possession is probably the route we need to go because of his understanding of the game, scoring, and assist ability and it keeps him from having to be constantly running off screens to get the ball. I love the energy Johnson brings and his defense could help us get back to elite status giving us someone who can play lock down on the perimeter (and rebound). But Johnson does not fit the description we need on the wing very well unless he really works on his shot so he may have to wait another year for starter minutes. We lost 2 senior PG's but we haven't lost any depth at the position really...lol!

We are going to be extremely versatile next year...but as usual we are going to need some shooters to step up to help Cumberland. And quite frankly I think we are going to struggle there a bit (and it may be the only place we struggle). I see Williams around 30%. Johnson probably similar 30% range and I just hope Curtis can make 35%. If we don't see a huge jump from Moore (shooting 3's) in the first 10 games of the year...he may as well ride the pine or find a better situation for himself.

I don't see a lot of minutes for Hardnett, Moore, Fredericks, or Ellie and maybe not Diara depending on his improvement and how good Prince is. Someone has to come out of this group to surprise us though. Would be nice to get 2 of them.
Good analysis. We've thrived off the play of 6 core players for each of the past 3 seasons. With losing Jenifer and Broome, I expect LJ and Curtis to fill in and become part of our "core" next season but I don't think the two of them will be able to fully replace Jenifer and Broome's 47 minutes/game -maybe more like 30-35 minutes/game.

We'll need Moore and a few of the back-up frontcourt players to raise their games if we're going to take that step from top 30 team to top 15 team next season.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:19 AM   #28
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

Great analysis, as sick as I am of always saying "next year we are going to be better" I think that holds true for next years team though(if Jarron stays). As dumb as it would be to leave because he wont be drafted, I don't think he improves his draft stock at all by coming back. NBA teams are very rarely drafting seniors because they are considered "old" at 22 and 23 years old. They want the one and done guys and a 2nd round draft pick isn't a guaranteed contract. It made sense for Evans to leave because he was a boarder line 1st round pick. In my opinion go get your money. The window to make the NBA is extremely small the older you get so everyone relax b/c this is just my opinion... I think Jarron leaves and doesn't get drafted but gets a G league tryout somewhere.. comparable to Troy Caupain. I think teams will have another year to prepare for Jarron with an entire off season and another 30+ games next year I just don't see him putting up comparable numbers to this year. He had a tremendous year and won us a lot of games but we saw what happened through the month of February when better teams figured out ways to take him out of the game.

As for everyone else I expect Curtis to make a big impact much like Jarron did his freshman year, LOJO steps up and plays big minutes, Prince and Mamado will be the primary bigs off the bench. Thank god Fredricks is gonna be a senior, I don't see him getting more than 7-8 min a game. I think Trevor Moore needs to transfer, he has been such a let down, love his energy and hustles his ass off but he was recruited to be a shooter and yet he is a terrible shooter (except in practice he supposedly lights it up... smh). Hopefully Curtis steals his minutes. As always these are just my opinions.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #29
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Trevor Moore needs to transfer, he has been such a let down, love his energy and hustles his ass off but he was recruited to be a shooter and yet he is a terrible shooter (except in practice he supposedly lights it up... smh). Hopefully Curtis steals his minutes. As always these are just my opinions.
Trevor Moore shot 44% (11/25) from 3 for the month of November his freshman year. Since then he's been a 26.4% 3-point shooter for the rest of his career.

I personally don't want to give up on him. Jenifer seemed like a lost cause after his sophomore year and look how he raised his game.

When you consider how poorly Keith and Fredericks shot the 3 for the latter part of the year, we don't have the luxury of discarding Moore and knowing that equal or better options are in the wings. Curtis hopefully will provide a boost but he's going to be playing the 1/2 for us. Moore will mostly come in as a 3 and sometimes a small ball 4.

Fresh blood isn't always the answer as well. Remember Joe Cremo? Albany grad transfer we were in for last offseason? Averaged 18/game and shot 46% from 3 as a junior. How'd he do this season at Villanova? 4 ppg and 34% from 3. He didn't even play 6 minutes/game over Villanova's Big East tourney run and 2 NCAA tourney games.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:52 AM   #30
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I would really like to avoid the whole "honorary starter" thing going into this season and just play our best players from the start. I think we get into one of these situations if we start Cumberland at PG and we need to come up with a wing to start. That could end up being Moore or Fredericks since Curtis will be a frosh and Logan is not really a wing.

So I am hoping we start Logan at the PG and Cumberland on the wing. Cumberland can move over during the game and allow Curtis to come in.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote