Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-29-2017, 04:34 PM   #21
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Just feels to me that we're getting a little spoiled as fans and entering that "Nothing is ever good enough" territory. Xavier has been good at FTs so far. Good for them. As I said earlier, we have made more than our opponents have attempted. That is incredibly hard to do, and it's something that was a stated goal by some of our fans. And now that it's been done, we've moved the goalpost. Well, yeah we may be making more than our opponents attempt...BUT...
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:47 PM   #22
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Just feels to me that we're getting a little spoiled as fans and entering that "Nothing is ever good enough" territory. Xavier has been good at FTs so far. Good for them. As I said earlier, we have made more than our opponents have attempted. That is incredibly hard to do, and it's something that was a stated goal by some of our fans. And now that it's been done, we've moved the goalpost. Well, yeah we may be making more than our opponents attempt...BUT...
The goal posts move constantly no matter what gets fixed or how good we get. It's crazy. I remember when the third highest scorer on our team averaged under 8 pts. Titus Rubles. Great defender though.

Yikes. I'm having more fun now thinking we have a chance.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:10 PM   #23
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They came up with a really good idea on The Skinny Podcast. They say maybe try shooting them in practice when you're tired??? That way it simulates the way you'd be in a game. Groundbreaking stuff really. I can't figure out why coaches aren't following this advice. But maybe Rick talked to Mack and let him in on the secret? Who knows? But it seems to be working...and apparently we're stuck shooting them all in practice when not tired at all...
This has been done by high school teams since peach baskets. All teams do it
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:35 PM   #24
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
I was jk
Old 12-29-2017, 08:14 PM   #25
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
Well, actually....

That's the joke...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:26 PM   #26
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
Well, actually....

That's the joke...
Lol. Such a good bit.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:28 PM   #27
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Moving the goal posts is exactly what you want to do...it’s called improvement - 1st, better than a .500 record, then the nit, then NCAA, then 2nd weekend & so on. When you’re good, you can afford to get picky...you have to focus on the little things that make you really good...what used to be good enough isn’t anymore- you think Kentucky is happy just to make the tourney? You have to get to a level, then aim higher. I want my brain surgeon to get it right 100% of the time, not 80%
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:38 PM   #28
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
I personally don't give two you-know-whats about Xavier's free throw percentage. But here are the team free throw percentages in the Mick Cronin era, starting from this season and ending with his first: .689, .686, .705, .670, .708, .647, .644, .668, .638, .657, .665. That's terrible, and it's inexcusable.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:41 PM   #29
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
Moving the goal posts is exactly what you want to do...it’s called improvement - 1st, better than a .500 record, then the nit, then NCAA, then 2nd weekend & so on. When you’re good, you can afford to get picky...you have to focus on the little things that make you really good...what used to be good enough isn’t anymore- you think Kentucky is happy just to make the tourney? You have to get to a level, then aim higher. I want my brain surgeon to get it right 100% of the time, not 80%
I get where you're coming from. I really do. And I don't think you're wrong. And I don't mean to excuse poor free throw shooting % wise.

I'm just trying hard to enjoy this season as much as possible. Before we know it, it'll be over. And Clark and Washington will be done. It'd be a shame if we end up having the year we all hope for and you go back and read these threads and it's a bunch of griping about everything. I want to enjoy it along the way. That doesn't mean I'm okay with under performing, or just making the tournament, or anything like that. It just feels like every game is our fans just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Maybe as Cincinnati sports fans, we've all just become so conditioned to that. But I have enough confidence in this team that I'll roll with whatever happens (to a point) in the regular season bc I believe in the ceiling of our group. I mean, if we win Sunday, that'll put us at 42-8 over the past 2 seasons. That's pretty incredible. That's less losses in 50 games than we had in 11 of the previous 12 seasons (SK's SR year we lost 7). It's ok to take a look around every once in a while and appreciate where we are. We should be pretty damn proud of this basketball program.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:28 AM   #30
CHEER CINCY
Banned

CHEER CINCY is on a distinguished road
Free Throw shooting is one of many things we should be looking to Xavier for help with. How about we start with running an offesne where our guards/forwards actually GET to the free throw line? Lets start there...
CHEER CINCY is offline   Reply With Quote