Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 04-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Evan Davis Sold On Bearcats

When he was in high school, University of Cincinnati center Evan Davis used to plow the driveway at Kerry Coombs' house when it snowed and spread mulch in his yard. Both of Davis' parents graduated from UC and Davis grew up watching the Bearcats play football at Nippert Stadium.

So when the time came for Davis to decide where to go to college, the former Colerain High School standout didn't have to spend a lot of time weighing his options.

Coombs, UC's associate head coach who recruits Greater Cincinnati, merely had to place the letter-of-intent in front of Davis and show him where to sign. It didn't hurt that both Evan and Nick had played for him while he was the head coach at Colerain.

"I've known Evan since he was a little boy," Coombs said. "It was an easy recruit on many fronts."

From Davis' standpoint, it would have been cool to spend a year at Bowling Green with his brother - which he did consider - but he had been following in his brother's footsteps all his life and decided it was time to blaze his own path at UC.

"I had to come here," he said. "I couldn't turn it down."

Unlike most offensive linemen, Davis, a 6-foot-4, 262-pound junior, did not take a red-shirt year as a freshman. He was eager to get on the field and UC needed a backup for center Chris Jurek, so Davis was allowed to get involved right away.

As it turned out, he developed mononucleosis, but he did see action in four games that first year and played in six games last year as a sophomore. He's hoping that experience will serve him well this fall when he's faced with the difficult task of replacing Jurek, a first-team-All Big East selection in 2009.

"There is a lot of responsibility, but I have my guards to help me out," Davis said, "two guys who played there last year, Alex Hoffman and Jason Kelce. Obviously, I'm new, but I've got them there to help me."

UC head coach Butch Jones likes what he has seen of Davis this spring and is confident that the center position will be well-fortified in Jurek's absence.

"He's a model of consistency," Jones said of Davis. "He brings it every day. He's very hungry, very eager to learn and he's got a tremendous work ethic.

"The center is the quarterback of our offensive line. We put a lot of things in his hands. Not only do you have to be a very good athlete and be able to snap the ball, things are happening fast. You've got to be cerebral."

With spring practice winding down, Davis is starting to show signs of being able to handle the demands that accompany the center position in Jones' spread offense.

He had an especially good day Tuesday, leaving a smile on offensive line coach Don Mahoney's face.

"He makes it all happen by his initial calls," Mahoney said. "He's understanding that better and playing faster. If he if he makes a wrong call, all five are blocking that same wrong call. It's very demanding. It's almost that he's held to a different standard than the rest. There's a lot on his plate."

"I'm ready to take on the role," Davis said. "I can't wait to start the season."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...rcats+early+on
swg is offline   Reply With Quote