Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 04-24-2010, 11:19 PM   #1
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Collaros Likely Starter

First-year head coach Butch Jones has said from the beginning that Collaros would have to compete with junior Chazz Anderson to earn the right to succeed Tony Pike as UC's starting quarterback. But Collaros began the spring with the advantage of having passed for 1,434 yards and 10 touchdowns and rushing for 344 yards last season when he started four games while Pike was injured.

Jones still wouldn't publicly commit to Collaros this week, but he said Collaros made great strides the past several days.

"It's like the light clicked on," Jones said. "You could really see his development process speed up this week in terms of the rhythm of his drops, understanding his reads, the second and third reads in his progression, and the run schemes."

After struggling in the Bearcats' most recent scrimmage, Collaros met with Jones.

"His body position was poor," Jones said. "He missed some throws and he was extremely disappointed. This week he came out and, boy, he attacked it. This week I saw a more relaxed Zach Collaros. I saw an individual step up and learn from the last scrimmage."

Collaros has noticed a difference, too, not only in his play but in the play of the entire offense.

"These past couple of weeks, especially this week, I think we've really clicked as an offensive unit," Collaros said. "The timing of the routes has been great. The protection has been great. I definitely feel comfortable."

Collaros, from Steubenville, Ohio, was redshirted during his freshman year and, with a crowded field of quarterbacks, wondered if he ever would get the chance to show what he could do.

He got his opportunity last season when Pike went down with an injured arm, and Collaros played so well that some UC fans clamored for him to remain the starter even after Pike returned.

In Collaros' first start, against Louisville, he completed 15 of 17 passes for 253 yards and three touchdowns. He also rushed for 52 yards. If he had any doubts about his ability to flourish on the college level, they were erased that day.

"After not playing for so long, I needed a little boost of confidence like that to let me know that yeah, I can still do it," Collaros said. "After that, I reached a comfort level with all the receivers and the O-linemen."

The best was yet to come. Two weeks later, Collaros passed for 480 yards and rushed for 75 to set Big East and school records with 555 yards of total offense in UC's 47-45 win over Connecticut.

When Pike came back, Collaros resumed his backup role but had established himself as the heir apparent at quarterback. But after Jones was hired to replace Brian Kelly, Collaros was forced to prove himself again, even though in his mind he was the starter.

Collaros has all but secured the starting position for this season, but Jones says he still has a long way to go to become a team leader and a polished college quarterback.

"It's one thing to go into a game and get a chance and there's no pressure," Jones said. "It's a whole different ballgame, a different set of expectations, when you're the guy and your teammates are looking at you on a daily basis - in the locker room, on the field, off the field. Those are heavy expectations and I think he'll be able to meet those expectations."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ly+starting+QB
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:12 AM   #2
JMac84

JMac84 is on a distinguished road
As long as our line can stay consistent and skill players can stay healthy, this should be one of the best offenses in the country for the next two years. Hopefully our D can catch up.
JMac84 is offline   Reply With Quote