Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 04-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
DJ (Woods) Rocks

Next to Armon Binns, junior D.J. Woods is UC's top returning receiver with 51 catches last season (10 less than Binns). With Binns injured for Bearcat Bowl IV, Woods proved he was the highest-ranking veteran receiver by hauling in six catches for 88 yards and a touchdown.

And, just to spice things up, Woods hurled a 60-yard option pass that almost went for a touchdown to Vidal Hazelton.

"I told Zach (Collaros) he better watch his spot, I might take it," joked Woods afterward. "It was a great overall play. I saw Vidal, he was wide open and I knew if I just threw it up there he'd get it. I put everything in it, he made a great play on it."

It turned out to be the play of the game and it was one of the plays called by a fan in the stands (off a list of suggestions). As fun as it was, that particular fan has not been offered a job on staff, but there's a chance that play could reappear come fall.

"Ssssh," to the surrounding media after the game. "You know we've had that with other players running it. That play is three-for-three now in spring football games."

In Brian Kelly's inaugural year, Marcus Barnett threw a 76-yard pass at South Florida that nearly went for a score, so maybe Woods might get the call to heave the ball deep yet again sometime to pass "Bones" in passing yards.

"I really hope so," said Woods. "I really like making plays overall and I'd like to do it again."

Beyond the pass play, Woods had a spectacular night and a great month of April overall. While the two noteworthy transfers (Vidal Hazelton-USC and Kenbrell Thompkins-Tennessee) got a lot of the headlines, Woods proceeded in workman-like fashion to do his job and prove his worth. Lest you forget, D.J. Woods was highly recruited out of Strongsville and was considered a tremendous "get" when he signed.

Now, after playing in the shadows of Dominick Goodman and Mardy Gilyard, could this be a year when #3 steps to the forefront and thrives in the offense of Butch Jones?

"D.J. played exceptionally well," said Jones. "You know, he came up to me after the game and said,'Well coach, how'd I play?' D.J.'s been a model of consistency all spring. I thought that he had a good performance and I thought we blocked good on the perimeter for him on the bubbles as well."

Not only did D.J. impress Coach Jones, he also earned the respect of Walter Stewart and the Bearcat defense. (Although, Stewart and company are already hoping to shut down Woods in a few months at Camp Higher Ground.)

"Man D.J., we've been trying to get a hold of this dude all spring," said Stewart in the post-game rain. "He's been doing this all spring. We've got to shut him down at camp (in August)."

As Stewart mentioned, Bearcat Bowl IV was not a "coming out party" or anything for D.J. Woods as he'd been making plays all month long. When you add in the considerable potential that Hazelton and Thompkins bring, plus get a healthy Armon Binns back and a spunky "Bones" Barnett, UC's receivers are downright scary.

While Woods is more conservative in his public statements on his teammates, Vidal Hazelton is not. The guy that played in Pasadena at the Rose Bowl, likes what UC can do in the air at "The Nipp" and any venue they play in.

"I can confidently say yes," said Hazelton when asked if UC has the best receiving corps in the college ranks. "No doubt about it. No other comments. I think we're the best receiving group in the nation."

Gilyard, Binns and Woods accounted for 26 scores through the air last season. Regardless of what three you want to list as starters on the Bearcats, it's reasonable to think those numbers could be surpassed in 2010.

http://www.gobearcats.com/blog/2010/...-dj-rocks.html
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Woods looks to keep starting spot (Katz)

There are so many other receivers to count, so many other guys who will bring the hype and the eyebrow-raising catches. These are the Bearcats featured on billboards, the ones that catch the imagination of UC fans.

Vidal Hazelton is the transfer from USC who will be eligible this year and who many expect to top this receiving corps. Armon Binns is the junior who had a breakout year last season, making amazing touchdown catches (11 scores last season) and using his 6-foot-4 frame to full advantage. Marcus Barnett is the senior hungering for his final chance, three years after the best freshman receiving performance in school history.

D.J. Woods is not in that group. Woods is a possession receiver who catches the screens and intakes the passes on the five-yard routes. He's not flashy. He was not a freshman All-American like Barnett, and he's not featured on billboards like Binns. Your imagination doesn't soar with the possibilities of his production like it might with Hazleton.

No, Woods is just a solid receiver, a guy who racks up receiving yards when you're not paying attention. But somehow, Woods, as a sophomore, kept his starting job last season and recorded 51 catches for 640 yards and four scores (all ranked No. 3 on the team). He likely will enter his junior year at the top of the depth chart as well.

It's because he's consistent. And coach Butch Jones likes - no, make that loves -consistent receivers. Woods showed up again during the spring game, catching six passes for 88 yards and a touchdown while throwing a 60-yard pass of his own that nearly netted another score.

"D.J. played exceptionally well," Jones said. "He came up to me after the game and said, 'Well coach, how did I play?' You know what? D.J. has been a model of consistency all spring. I thought he had a good performance, and I thought we blocked good on the perimeter for him as well."

What really impressed me about Woods last Saturday was his ability to earn yards after the catch. He caught a few bubble screens, and he made a couple short-route receptions. The fact he averaged 14.7 yards on mostly short balls is a testament to how valuable he could be for the Bearcats next year.

"He did a great job of advancing the ball," Jones said. "We talk about that all the time."

For Woods, it's a matter of practicing his craft every chance he gets.

"We do bubble (screens) every single day," Woods said. "We have a period when they do field goals, and we do nothing but bubbles. I feel comfortable in my technique and looking upfield trying to find receivers making blocks, because I'm making cuts off them."

The technique, Woods said, is an important part of his game that he's continued to improve.

"The thing I need to work on is blocking downfield. If I do that, my technique and my game will be up to par," he said. "I'm never satisfied. I'll come out to work every day, because somebody is going to try to take my spot."

That somebody is Barnett - who switched between offense and defense last year, in part because of the stranglehold Woods had on the position. Now that Barnett is focusing strictly on offense, he'll look to take Woods' spot for himself. Woods doesn't want that to happen.

"None of the spots are solid; it's only spring time," Woods said. "I just need to work on my technique and my willpower. I have Bones (Barnett) right now, and Bones was a first-team freshman All American. He's always in my shadow, always pushing me. But I'm always pushing him at the same time. I just need to have the mentality that it's my spot."

http://www.gobearcats.com/blog/katz-on-the-cats/
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
I absolutely love watching DJ play ball. He is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. I love his attitude and confidence and he brings it every down whether he is getting the football or not. He's not the fastest guy in the world but he is quick and his speed is very deceptive. I can't wait to see DJ as a Junior this year and Senior next year. I see big things for him.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote