Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #11
ready2go
Elite Member

ready2go is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by anbuc88 View Post
Add a shooter (Burton) who can consistently hit a three to the current roster and this team will be better than last year. The key will be chemistry. But the starting 5 (Cash, Parker, Bishop or Wilks, Gates, Thomas) stacks up well with most of the returning squads in the BE, and hence, the country, IMO.
The knock all year has been the youth of this team. Now we are going to rely on a freshman to hit big shots?

I think Wilks can make those, but again consistancy is the key.

Also, Why is Gates always brought up for next year. From what I have seen the guy has done all he can. His freshman year and this past year, looked identical. Similar stats and same attitude problem. He is not a guy we can count on game in and game out.

Last edited by ready2go; 04-15-2010 at 02:56 PM.
ready2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
cincyfan81

cincyfan81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Add a shooter (Burton) who can consistently hit a three to the current roster and this team will be better than last year. The key will be chemistry. But the starting 5 (Cash, Parker, Bishop or Wilks, Gates, Thomas) stacks up well with most of the returning squads in the BE, and hence, the country, IMO.
I am not being negative. I am being a realist. Yes, I do feel that you saying we have a top 5 that matches up with anyone in the country is very unrealistic, if not crazy. You can't honestly look at our lineup and say that. You just can't. I don't care if you are the most optimisitc person in the world, that is just too much of a reach. So go ahead and say how I am this horrible negative person who lives a teribble life, blah, blah, blah, just because I disagree with you.
cincyfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #13
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Who is lowering the bar? I expect for them to be improved next year, and if they are not, then I will also support hiring a new coach. The pieces are in place, the players and the coaching staff have to produce. They were not far off last year, and the loss of LS notwithstanding, I expect them to be better this year.
I am lowering the bar because Mick is.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #14
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Add Burton and this team probably sky-rockets from a 20 seed all the way into the teens!!!!!
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
anbuc88
Elite Member

anbuc88 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyfan81 View Post
I am not being negative. I am being a realist. Yes, I do feel that you saying we have a top 5 that matches up with anyone in the country is very unrealistic, if not crazy. You can't honestly look at our lineup and say that. You just can't. I don't care if you are the most optimisitc person in the world, that is just too much of a reach. So go ahead and say how I am this horrible negative person who lives a teribble life, blah, blah, blah, just because I disagree with you.
Then don't discount someone's opinion by labeling them as 'Mick's brother' just because you disagree with it. Let's see how they do at the end of the year and see who is right. Where did I say you are a horrible person or live a terrible life?
anbuc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #16
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
I am lowering the bar because Mick is.
It's comments like this that I just don't understand and they serve absolutely no purpose. Mick Cronin is acknowledged by his peers and former players as a guy that is a tireless worker. You may disagree with his style and debate whether he is the right guy for this job, but to say he has lowered the bar is to imply he is not working to make the program better and that is unfounded.

People need to remember that there are other schools chasing recruits, some of which are higher profile programs that annually lose one and done players. There are no "recruiting supermarkets" where you go in and pick a shooter from this aisle and a rebounder from that one. It is competitive and there are many factors that come into play when a young man chooses a school. Sometimes it comes down to getting what you can get in a given year.

it is also very difficult to manage the personalities of 12-15 young men. All are from very diverse backgrounds with different needs and issues. The men who coach D1 basketball are at the top of their profession. There are only just over 300 of these jobs available. All are talented, not all are in situations that best fit their abilities, or allow for them to showcase their ability.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #17
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
^

This is why Jeff is our hoops mod.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #18
anbuc88
Elite Member

anbuc88 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
It's comments like this that I just don't understand and they serve absolutely no purpose. Mick Cronin is acknowledged by his peers and former players as a guy that is a tireless worker. You may disagree with his style and debate whether he is the right guy for this job, but to say he has lowered the bar is to imply he is not working to make the program better and that is unfounded.

People need to remember that there are other schools chasing recruits, some of which are higher profile programs that annually lose one and done players. There are no "recruiting supermarkets" where you go in and pick a shooter from this aisle and a rebounder from that one. It is competitive and there are many factors that come into play when a young man chooses a school. Sometimes it comes down to getting what you can get in a given year.

it is also very difficult to manage the personalities of 12-15 young men. All are from very diverse backgrounds with different needs and issues. The men who coach D1 basketball are at the top of their profession. There are only just over 300 of these jobs available. All are talented, not all are in situations that best fit their abilities, or allow for them to showcase their ability.
Excellent post and one of the reasons that this site is quickly becoming the best venue for intelligent discourse for diehard Bearcat fans. Thank you Bearcat Jeff.
anbuc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #19
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post

Eye Test does it all, there are 340 something D I teams and I bet not more than 40 look as dysfunction on the court.

And please tell me how he didn't lower the bar with Gates. When he came in Yancy was the best big man we've recruited in a while. After he struggled he is a "project"

Don't get me confused with like Billy Don or something, I'm simply puzzled by how a person can be optimistic about a team that finished the season with 16 losses and lost the two top scorers, while just bringing in marginal talent (although I think Jackson eventually will be good). I don't want you to feel so terrible if they don't make the tournament (assuming its 65) because this is an middle of the pack NIT team talent wise.

Last edited by Bearcat_NTS; 04-15-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #20
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
I do think Gates is a self-inflicted wound. He has all the tools (physically), but I did think MC would whip him into shape. I was wrong, and Gates has only himself to look at for not being where he needs to be.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote