Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by anbuc88 View Post
0-2 on the road against top 10 teams. Only a handful of teams in college basketball could go 1-1 and probably none would go 2-0 in these 2 games. This team still can have a great season, but things have to start with Wednesdays game. The NCAA is certainly the ultimate goal, but they should be expecting to make some noise in the tourney, not just get there.
Never said they aren't a good team, just interpreting the schedule.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #12
anbuc88
Elite Member

anbuc88 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Not only did they lose this game, they were physically outmatched and intimidated the entire game. THat doesn't bode well going forward
How many teams have the personel that SU has? SU has outmatched most teams they played. This is only one game. SU beat Seton Hall by only 5 (without Hazell). Do you think that SH's chances of doing well the rest of the season is predicated on the results that 1 game?
anbuc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #13
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How many teams have the personel that SU has? SU has outmatched most teams they played. This is only one game. SU beat Seton Hall by only 5 (without Hazell). Do you think that SH's chances of doing well the rest of the season is predicated on the results that 1 game?
That doesn't refute the point that you quoted. I'm not sure where the argument is. We did get outplayed, and outmanned. Like it or not, Cuse is a conference opponent, they are our direct competition.

And to answer your question how many teams can match up with them? I don't know, 4 or 5 more, at least, in our conference.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Look I'm upset over how soft our interior was today. At one point the rebounding was 31-15. However, this is still a good season and the only 2 losses are to top 10 teams. No bad losses, and a lot of games left. I said we'd beat ND or 'Cuse. Let's go beat ND! 16-2 isn't too shabby.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #15
anbuc88
Elite Member

anbuc88 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
That doesn't refute the point that you quoted. I'm not sure where the argument is. We did get outplayed, and outmanned. Like it or not, Cuse is a conference opponent, they are our direct competition.

And to answer your question how many teams can match up with them? I don't know, 4 or 5 more, at least, in our conference.
My post was about Bearcat_NTS saying that being outmatched and intimated against SU doen't bode well for the reat of the year. I don't think there is any correlation with todays result and how the Cats will perform the rest of the year. They played in a hostile arena against a physically superior and more talented team than they are. If the majority of the teams that they will face from here on are similar to this, then I would agree. I don't think this is the case. The 4-5 teams that can physically match up with them in the BE also have to be in the top 15. How many of those are likely to win in the Carrier Dome?
anbuc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #16
JeromyM

JeromyM is on a distinguished road
I look for Notre Dame to beat us by 20 or more. St. Johns will also be a loss for us, but closer than the ND game. Our next win won't come til we go back home. Our interior game is way too weak, Thomas needs to learn how to pump fake, and go up strong to the hoop, instead of letting that Fab guy that was having such an awesome game(6 pts)according to the announcers....swat your shot. I really thought we'd play better these last two games...what a let down.....what a let down.
JeromyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #17
catsfan32

catsfan32 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromyM View Post
I look for Notre Dame to beat us by 20 or more. St. Johns will also be a loss for us, but closer than the ND game. Our next win won't come til we go back home. Our interior game is way too weak, Thomas needs to learn how to pump fake, and go up strong to the hoop, instead of letting that Fab guy that was having such an awesome game(6 pts)according to the announcers....swat your shot. I really thought we'd play better these last two games...what a let down.....what a let down.
No way will the fighting irish beat us by 20+ points. Not with our defense. Even with the homer calls you know they are going to get there is just no way I can see us losing by 20+ points to that team. St. Johns will not be an automatic loss. We definitely need to show up and play well to win, but to write that off as a loss is naive. The sky is not falling, don't have such a defeatist attitude man, we are still 16-2 with our 2 losses to top 10 teams who have combined to lose 1 game! If we shot a little better today we could have been within a possession to win this game!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #18
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromyM View Post
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Typical Cincy sports fan. Dude, they lost to two top 10 teams on the road! One that had won 44 games in a row at home and one that were 46-5 in their last 51 games prior to today. Chill out!

Last edited by bearcat jeff; 01-15-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #19
cincyfan81

cincyfan81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
0-2 on the road against top 10 teams. Only a handful of teams in college basketball could go 1-1 and probably none would go 2-0 in these 2 games. This team still can have a great season, but things have to start with Wednesdays game. The NCAA is certainly the ultimate goal, but they should be expecting to make some noise in the tourney, not just get there.
Unfortunately I think there is more to it than just losing to two top 10 teams. I don't feel like there was ever any doubt that Villanova and Syracuse were going to beat us the entire game in both games. Also I think there is a lot of the same crap going on, TERRIBLE shot selection. Watching Wilks and Thomas shoot 3's and Yancy shoot fade away jumpers 10 seconds into the shot clock makes me want to throw up. That has to preached to them and it doesn't seem to be. Also we just settle for threes every game, Yancy still isn't consistent in his effort, we now have three T's in three games, there is just a lot of things that are concerning. I hope I am wrong, but I have a bad feeling about conference play.
cincyfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:59 AM   #20
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyfan81 View Post
Unfortunately I think there is more to it than just losing to two top 10 teams. I don't feel like there was ever any doubt that Villanova and Syracuse were going to beat us the entire game in both games. Also I think there is a lot of the same crap going on, TERRIBLE shot selection. Watching Wilks and Thomas shoot 3's and Yancy shoot fade away jumpers 10 seconds into the shot clock makes me want to throw up. That has to preached to them and it doesn't seem to be. Also we just settle for threes every game, Yancy still isn't consistent in his effort, we now have three T's in three games, there is just a lot of things that are concerning. I hope I am wrong, but I have a bad feeling about conference play.
Thomas didn't shoot any 3's against Syracuse and Wilks took 3. The Bearcats had many wide open good looks and simply missed them. How much better shots do you want? They were 7-31 from 2 point range. Three point shooting kept them in the game or it would have been a 40 point loss. They made one, count them one, two point field goal in the first half. They hit 39% of their 3's for the game my friend. I'm not sure what you're chasing here, but I'll rack it up to frustration, not an actual game analysis. They were outscored 30-10 in the paint. There is the cause of your loss in the Syracuse game.

Every game is different. Nobody was complaining about much when they were rolling people by 20. You have to understand they are in the BEast and every team goes thru this kind of stretch at some point except the top 2-3 teams. I think UC can hang in the top 5 but they have to get mentally tougher. Therein lies the issue. The players themselves said they got frustrated and stopped playing defense. Mental toughness inside and out and on both sides of the court. We have tough guards in Killa and Dixon. We have to get some inside toughness.

There are three undefeated teams in this conference out of 16. There is one with 1 loss. There are six with 2 losses including UC!! The log jam in the middle is always there in this league because it is so damn tough!! The question is out of those six 2 loss teams, which ones are going to be 5th, 6th, 7th, in the final standings? UC has the talent to be one of those teams. If they are, they will be dancing in March.

Last edited by bearcat jeff; 01-16-2011 at 06:12 AM.