Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #31
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Joining the Big 12 would dramatically increase the revenue with its new TV deal, thus more money to spend on the football program...seems like a stupid point to make against joining the Big 12
The Big East makes far more sense for UC. The teams that leave will be replaced by teams from major TV markets UCF (Orlando) Florida International (Miami) Navy (Baltimore). More TV sets = more $$$.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #32
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Ralph your delusional. A watered down BEast is not the best thing for UC. To compete you have to have revenue from both major sports and television. A watered down Big East will not get the t.v. contracts this program needs. As a program on the rise in both sports UC needs exposure. the best thing that could happen to UC would be the Big 12 expanding and going to west and east divisions. Notre Dame could help the Big East tremendously by joining in football but that probably isn't going to happen.

This is a time where this university has to look out for it's best interest. If things stay intact as is with Marquette, Louisville, UC, Villanova, St. Johns, and Notre Dame, basketball will be strong but the football will remain suspect. Things are trending to football t.v. contracts. You have to ride the wave or get left behind. The FACT is UC has been speaking to the Big 12 for several weeks. they have agressively, not passively, been looking at options in light of the deterioration of the Big East. That is an undisputable fact. How it shakes out is yet to be seen but to say it is out of the question for UC to join the Big 12 is absolutely false.

Last edited by bearcat jeff; 09-30-2011 at 08:27 PM.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #33
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Jeff is right on this. UC is only going to publicly make statements saying they want to remain in the Big East if at all possible. The reality is that UC will do what is best for them. If the Big East can stay viable in football and realistically maintain it's AQ status, then that would be best. If you are resting your hopes on UCF or Florida International (you were joking about that, right?) because of a television market, you are crazy. Temple could make sense. They are a program that is on the rise and just beat down Maryland on the road. The service acadamies really don't do much as far as I am concerned. If the best offer for UC is to go to the Big 12, they will go. If that is not the best situation or if the offer doesn't present itself, they won't. To say anything other than that is dilusional.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #34
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
I still think there is a good chance that UC will wind up in the Big12 although I'm not as confident in it as I was last week. I hope the Big12 will send us an invite and we would obviously accept it they did. (why even argue with Ralph about this?)

We would still get the chance to play in one of the best basketball conferences in the country and I think our football team would only get better. Think about what the jump from C-USA to BEAST did for football. I can only imagine the jump from BEAST to Big-12 would help is to continue to develop our program.

The only downside I see is that the remaining BEAST non-football schools would develop a basketball conference that would most likely include Xavier. As a UC fan I would hate to not be able to use the "you play in the A-10" defense anymore.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #35
ucdave

ucdave is on a distinguished road
Why are not as confident we end up in the Big 12?
ucdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #36
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
I just feel like the more this situation drags out the less likely it becomes that we will get an opportunity to join the B-12. If the B-12 does look to expand I still don't believe they have any better options than a UC, UL, and WVU combo. I feel there is no chance that UC gets left out in the cold on re-alignment but I really don't like the idea of staying in the Big East when everyone is looking for the next best option.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #37
ucdave

ucdave is on a distinguished road
Fair enough. Thought I missed some late developments or something.
ucdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #38
ralph1950
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
I just feel like the more this situation drags out the less likely it becomes that we will get an opportunity to join the B-12. If the B-12 does look to expand I still don't believe they have any better options than a UC, UL, and WVU combo. I feel there is no chance that UC gets left out in the cold on re-alignment but I really don't like the idea of staying in the Big East when everyone is looking for the next best option.
UC , U of L, and WVU will reject any and all invitations to join the Big 12 as long as the Big East is a BCS AQ Conference. The Big 12 would be a geographic nightmare for UC, UofL, and WVU.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #39
cincyfan81

cincyfan81 is on a distinguished road
Missouri Curators have given Missouri the ability to look at the SEC and make a move. Also from several websites Missouri Chancellor Deaton has stepped down from his Big 12 chair. Looks like they are leaving to me.
cincyfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #40
ralph1950
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyfan81 View Post
Missouri Curators have given Missouri the ability to look at the SEC and make a move. Also from several websites Missouri Chancellor Deaton has stepped down from his Big 12 chair. Looks like they are leaving to me.
Which means absolutely nothing to UC or UofL unless Missouri or Kansas or Kansas State etc. want to leave the Big 12 to join the Big East.