Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2020, 07:06 PM   #61
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8,082
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
It's not a national champ team, but even without DeJulius I'm really liking the team. I'm eager to see the offense run more like Brannen wants it to.

I know the new guys are going to be lost for a while, but it seems we have some players who can at least offer some depth for breathers and hopefully some scoring.
I worry about that PG position a little bit. MAW was playing mostly because McNeal ended up being horrible. MAW doesnít have great handles but he was serviceable when pressure wasnít applied. I like the future of the position but this year worries me if Dejulius canít play. Itís too important of a position to be average at.

waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:56 AM   #62
Cin City
Senior Member
 
Cin City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 355
Cin City is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I worry about that PG position a little bit. MAW was playing mostly because McNeal ended up being horrible. MAW doesnít have great handles but he was serviceable when pressure wasnít applied. I like the future of the position but this year worries me if Dejulius canít play. Itís too important of a position to be average at.
Although young and inexperienced...Saunders is going to be good. He might surprise you this year at the PG...especially if DD isn't eligible. Baptism by fire. The kid will impress you.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:31 AM   #63
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8,082
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin City View Post
Although young and inexperienced...Saunders is going to be good. He might surprise you this year at the PG...especially if DD isn't eligible. Baptism by fire. The kid will impress you.
I am looking forward to seeing him play and I think he will be very good for us for 2-3 years but just not sure he will adjust to the speed and learn the system in time for a big impact this year. But if DD doesn't play I would expect him to be the #2 right away and who knows by end of year could be in there for MAW as a starter.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:36 PM   #64
Queens_NYC
Elite Member
 
Queens_NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 969
Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Saunders is the freshman who I have the lowest expectations for this year.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:17 PM   #65
sirthought
Senior Member
 
sirthought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Down by river
Posts: 196
sirthought is on a distinguished road
Yeah I don't see Saunders getting much floor time, but that's just a guess. He does look like a good recruit to develop.

My thinking is he's going to be facing tougher competition and it's the first year learning a different level of offensive strategy. He's going to need to hit the weights and just do a ton of repetitions. His outside shot is only okay, so that will take some time to build up confidence at this level.

Let's hope we get to see some play to really put in some honest speculation.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:09 AM   #66
Nati lite
Member
 
Nati lite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New Albany, IN
Posts: 48
Nati lite is on a distinguished road
If there is a basketball season this year (fingers crossed), which freshman do you think will have the biggest offensive impact?

I would have to go with Eason or Gabe Madsen. I think Eason because of his footwork and athleticism. He also looks like he can finish around the rim pretty well in his highlights, hopefully he translates that in D1. If he develops a consistent jumper throughout the season...watch out.

Gabe can shoot lights out and has a quick release. That will help us out a lot for when teams are running a zone or double the post. Seems like he has a high IQ to find an open spot on the defense. He also has some decent ball handling skills to create is own shot.
Nati lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #67
Cin City
Senior Member
 
Cin City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 355
Cin City is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati lite View Post
If there is a basketball season this year (fingers crossed), which freshman do you think will have the biggest offensive impact?

I would have to go with Eason or Gabe Madsen. I think Eason because of his footwork and athleticism. He also looks like he can finish around the rim pretty well in his highlights, hopefully he translates that in D1. If he develops a consistent jumper throughout the season...watch out.

Gabe can shoot lights out and has a quick release. That will help us out a lot for when teams are running a zone or double the post. Seems like he has a high IQ to find an open spot on the defense. He also has some decent ball handling skills to create is own shot.
You're probably right.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:52 AM   #68
Queens_NYC
Elite Member
 
Queens_NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 969
Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati lite View Post
If there is a basketball season this year (fingers crossed), which freshman do you think will have the biggest offensive impact?

I would have to go with Eason or Gabe Madsen. I think Eason because of his footwork and athleticism. He also looks like he can finish around the rim pretty well in his highlights, hopefully he translates that in D1. If he develops a consistent jumper throughout the season...watch out.

Gabe can shoot lights out and has a quick release. That will help us out a lot for when teams are running a zone or double the post. Seems like he has a high IQ to find an open spot on the defense. He also has some decent ball handling skills to create is own shot.
If DeJulius doesn't get his waiver then that'll open 28-30 minutes/game at one of the guard positions and I think Gabe (along with Harvey) will take a good chunk of those minutes.

I think Gabe's year 1 impact could be similar to Erik Stevenson's at Wichita State where he shoots A LOT when he's in the game with the potential to put up 15-20 on a good night, but could also have some real clunkers thrown in there as well and be prone to multi-game droughts.

Eason is definitely our most physically ready freshman, but I have no idea how consistently he'll be able to score at this level. We haven't had a true freshman big make a real offensive impact since Gary Clark in 14/15. I think he'll be a much more consistent player than Gabe but with a lower offensive ceiling.

I think we'll see a big drop-off in production after those two. We'll have to throw Saunders to the wolves for back-up minutes at the 1 if DeJulius isn't eligible, but otherwise I think he'll warrant 11th/12th man minutes.

Mason Madsen seems like a year 1 role player through and through.

Lakhin (if he makes it over) will probably need at least a year to adjust to the American game but if he does play I think he can show some flashes in limited minutes ala Diarra as a frosh.

Last edited by Queens_NYC; 08-10-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:53 AM   #69
kskenyon4
Senior Member
 
kskenyon4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 456
kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
With potential B10 football news looming today, I think we all mentally have to prepare for no basketball this year, or certainly limited basketball, a bubble of a limited amount of teams, etc.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #70
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8,082
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
If DeJulius doesn't get his waiver then that'll open 28-30 minutes/game at one of the guard positions and I think Gabe (along with Harvey) will take a good chunk of those minutes.

I think Gabe's year 1 impact could be similar to Erik Stevenson's at Wichita State where he shoots A LOT when he's in the game with the potential to put up 15-20 on a good night, but could also have some real clunkers thrown in there as well and be prone to multi-game droughts.

Eason is definitely our most physically ready freshman, but I have no idea how consistently he'll be able to score at this level. We haven't had a true freshman big make a real offensive impact since Gary Clark in 14/15. I think he'll be a much more consistent player than Gabe but with a lower offensive ceiling.

I think we'll see a big drop-off in production after those two. We'll have to throw Saunders to the wolves for back-up minutes at the 1 if DeJulius isn't eligible, but otherwise I think he'll warrant 11th/12th man minutes.

Mason Madsen seems like a year 1 role player through and through.

Lakhin (if he makes it over) will probably need at least a year to adjust to the American game but if he does play I think he can show some flashes in limited minutes ala Diarra as a frosh.
Yah. If DD was to play this year I would think MAW would be the back up PG and the backup SG at least initially. That would probably hurt both Gabe and Saunders. Now if DD is not playing MAW is likely the PG for about 25 of the minutes and maybe not backing up the SG spot at all. So Gabe and Mike become primary backups and can earn 10-15 minutes (depending).

Of course either of these guys or Mason could surprise us and I hope they do. I think Eason is already in that position of primary backup rather than a 3rd option at a position.

I don't see Lakhin getting much run this year and Mason could be used as a heat check shooter from time to time. But 3rd or 4th option at PG wouldn't amount to much if anything.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., - All material on this Cincinnati Bearcat discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting.