Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will our AAC record be?
16-2 or better 1 3.85%
15-3 1 3.85%
14-4 2 7.69%
13-5 6 23.08%
12-6 2 7.69%
11-7 9 34.62%
10-8 1 3.85%
9-9 3 11.54%
8-10 1 3.85%
7-11 or worse 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2019, 11:06 AM   #21
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
If we don't have the Bowling Green loss, or the random Colgate loss, it's probably exactly where we thought we would be. At least record wise. Jarron hurt and playing terrible hurts this team a lot. Not blaming anyone, just is what it is. Kind of hard to get a grasp on this team if he is truly hurt. We will find out when we play Uconn. They are a decent team.
to think to this point in the season Cumberland would have an ORTG under 90, Scott would be under 100, and Keith would be 101.4. unbelievable.

Keith has 4 straight games with an ORTG under 100 cause he's a turnovers machine (13 in last 4 games). Since going 4-4 from 3 vs Vermont he's 1-11 and its really a shot he shouldn't take. He's taking a higher percentage of shots at the rim, which is great, but he's only making 50.8% of them, which is terrible. His assists are way up though so thats good.

It's clear as day the guys that have been around just can't consistently play in this system, their decision making and ball skills just aren't good enough. They'll have good games, but there is no consistency. I think there's still hope for Jarron because he has the skills, Scott is who he is and will make multiple plays a game that make you want to pull your hair out, and because Keith can't dribble he struggles to beat less athletic defenders to the rim.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:18 AM   #22
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
to think to this point in the season Cumberland would have an ORTG under 90, Scott would be under 100, and Keith would be 101.4. unbelievable.

Keith has 4 straight games with an ORTG under 100 cause he's a turnovers machine (13 in last 4 games). Since going 4-4 from 3 vs Vermont he's 1-11 and its really a shot he shouldn't take. He's taking a higher percentage of shots at the rim, which is great, but he's only making 50.8% of them, which is terrible. His assists are way up though so thats good.

It's clear as day the guys that have been around just can't consistently play in this system, their decision making and ball skills just aren't good enough. They'll have good games, but there is no consistency. I think there's still hope for Jarron because he has the skills, Scott is who he is and will make multiple plays a game that make you want to pull your hair out, and because Keith can't dribble he struggles to beat less athletic defenders to the rim.
I agree, they do seem to struggle but that is understandable. Especially Scott. He just doesn't have the ball skills. Like you said, the confusing one is Jarron. He should thrive in this system. More transition, (which he's great at), more play making opportunities, (great passer), and he just can't put it together for some reason. He also is struggling shooting. Thats the main thing that gives me hope for a turnaround this season. I just don't think he can play this bad all year.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:34 AM   #23
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I think it’s kinda crazy to blame this whole thing on our returning players.

It’s not their fault what so ever that they are playing in a system they never signed up for.

It’s the coaches job to adapt his philosophy to the players he has. I think it’s clear that he had an ego about his system and that he will sacrifice wins for his system.

People didn’t renew their season tickets to watch John Brannen’s system. They renewed them to watch John Brannen win games.

My concern is that we have a coach consistently trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

Our defense is dreadful yet we continue to do the same things. Our offense is clearly not built for 78 possessions and yet we still do it.

I hated thst mick never adjusted on the fly like other coaches who beat us would. But I’m starting to see the same patterns from Brannen.

To me a conference turn around is going to require our returners to play better but also our coaches to coach better. We have matchups against Hurley, Sampson, Marshall, Ron Hunter, Dawkins, penny, and even jank. We have to coach better and play better.

I’d give Brannen and Jarron both a D to this point.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #24
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

It’s not their fault what so ever that they are playing in a system they never signed up for.

It’s the coaches job to adapt his philosophy to the players he has. I think it’s clear that he had an ego about his system and that he will sacrifice wins for his system.

there is no system where this team would be winning with jarron having an 89.9 ORTG. and the system isn't why he has that.

can't play the old system because this team just doesn't have the defenders that team had. just gonna have to ride the ups and downs. this is very common for coaches in year 1.

and brannen has worked within his system with Jarron. We draw up a lot of sets and let him iso and do his thing, he just doesn't have his first step anymore. Without that he's kinda lost out there. he's always had a problem with lazy and horrible turnovers. thats not new.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #25
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
there is no system where this team would be winning with jarron having an 89.9 ORTG. and the system isn't why he has that.

can't play the old system because this team just doesn't have the defenders that team had. just gonna have to ride the ups and downs. this is very common for coaches in year 1.

and brannen has worked within his system with Jarron. We draw up a lot of sets and let him iso and do his thing, he just doesn't have his first step anymore. Without that he's kinda lost out there. he's always had a problem with lazy and horrible turnovers. thats not new.
An out of shape player playing at a much faster tempo then he excels absolutely can contribute to bad offense rating
Old 12-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #26
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

People didn’t renew their season tickets to watch John Brannen’s system. They renewed them to watch John Brannen win games.

My concern is that we have a coach consistently trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

Our defense is dreadful yet we continue to do the same things. Our offense is clearly not built for 78 possessions and yet we still do it.

I hated thst mick never adjusted on the fly like other coaches who beat us would. But I’m starting to see the same patterns from Brannen.

To me a conference turn around is going to require our returners to play better but also our coaches to coach better. We have matchups against Hurley, Sampson, Marshall, Ron Hunter, Dawkins, penny, and even jank. We have to coach better and play better.

I’d give Brannen and Jarron both a D to this point.
I think all coaches are stubborn. They all do things their way. No one is blaming the players. I am not blaming Tre. He doesn't have the ball skills. I am not blaming Jarron as much as asking why he is struggling. Even when he has open shots, he isn't making them. I'm curious as to why that is. Brannen needs to be better. I think everyone does.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:50 AM   #27
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
An out of shape player playing at a much faster tempo then he excels absolutely can contribute to bad offense rating
as can the lost ability to beat your man off the dribble because you're out of shape/injured.

not sure how thats brannens fault though. you said it yourself we can't get stops on defense, how are we supposed to play a slow it down 60 possession style when we can't stop people from scoring in the half court.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:42 PM   #28
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
as can the lost ability to beat your man off the dribble because you're out of shape/injured.

not sure how thats brannens fault though. you said it yourself we can't get stops on defense, how are we supposed to play a slow it down 60 possession style when we can't stop people from scoring in the half court.
ZONE

LOL we looked baffled a lot of the time against the Zone.

So why not play zone ourselves?

We Foul way too much. Our bigs aren't good in space. So WHY not go zone for 20% of your defensive possessions?
Old 12-26-2019, 03:06 PM   #29
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
ZONE

LOL we looked baffled a lot of the time against the Zone.

So why not play zone ourselves?

We Foul way too much. Our bigs aren't good in space. So WHY not go zone for 20% of your defensive possessions?

i mean we just held Iowa to .988 ppp, the 4th most efficient offense in the country. in the tournament they scored 1.17 ppp vs our match zone. defense definitely didn't lose that game.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:35 PM   #30
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
1) It's still relatively early in implementing a completely new system for a bunch of new players. The offense is improving, albeit slowly. And this is with their returning players not playing up to their potential.

2) Even if the style wasn't working, you really think Brannen is going to change it this shortly into his career at UC? I mean he was brought in part because of the fun style he plays. But more importantly recruits that aren't that familiar with Brannen are in a wait and see mode. If they see him scrap his style for Cronin's grind it out style he'll be just as unsuccessful in recruiting as Cronin was. These next couple classes are huge for Brannen and UC, and the recruits are watching and expecting his style of play. Brannen has to be thinking about the future as well with his decisions.

3) There is only so many hours they are allowed to practice together. In that time they need to learn the new offensive system but also their defensive system. They frankly don't have much time to learn zone. They need to pick their poison, and defense really hasn't been killing them either, it's their offense, turnovers, and FT shooting.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote