Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2018, 11:10 AM   #11
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,592
waterhead is on a distinguished road
I took a look at some team categories to get an essential idea of who we are as a program under Cronin in terms of different (on court) stats. I threw out stats from his first 4 years and this year. I also took out the highest and lowest number in each category for the remaining 8 years.

So the 8 years used were basically all of his tourney years and I think that has been a pretty solid consistent snapshot of who we are under him. I looked at Barttorvik page to see where we ranked in each category (on average).

ADJO...70th
ADJD...13th

TO%...60th
TO%D...69th

OR%...15th
DR%...170th

FT%...242nd
2%...178th
3%...190th

Obviously we have always been pretty horrible at shooting. Our ADJO looks much better (I guess because of offensive rebounds). We will always be great at D and OR. I would have guessed our TO% rank would rank higher with the amount of emphasis Cronin puts on it. Overall not a lot of surprises except for the TO category

waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #12
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member
 
david aka the TYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mason area
Posts: 2,978
david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
jarron's turnovers are usually lazy. its definitely not a lack of talent, but sometimes he has no business trying a pass but he just wings it anyway. i dont know if its laziness or a lack of focus, but he's been like this his entire career.
Arguing laziness and lack of focus is arguing semantics somewhat as they're almost the same problem. But he definitely suffers from both at times. Cronin called him out after one of the games for it. He definitely seems too cool for school out there sometimes. It's almost like hes not expecting the defense to defend at times.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #13
sedziobs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 499
sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Charlotte has the highest free throw percentage in the country. Their opponents have the 2nd highest percentage in the country. That's incredibly unlikely to happen by random chance, but here we are. Maybe they moved the free throw line up 10 feet.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #14
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member
 
david aka the TYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mason area
Posts: 2,978
david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Charlotte has the highest free throw percentage in the country. Their opponents have the 2nd highest percentage in the country. That's incredibly unlikely to happen by random chance, but here we are. Maybe they moved the free throw line up 10 feet.
Maybe all the batteries and coins their fans throw onto the court creates a vacuum that sucks the ball into the rim.....

I miss hating Charlotte and their fans
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:14 PM   #15
ervins84
Elite Member
 
ervins84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 707
ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
So... Coming into this year our last G-Score (Barttorvik stat measuring team performance on a 0-100 scale) game below 50 was 12/22/16 when UC squeaked out an OT win vs Marshall.

The Ohio State game was a 47 and Milwaukee was a 44. This probably helps explain the feeling a lot of us had of "Wow. We look really bad." Since then, every game has been between an 89 and 99.
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:25 PM   #16
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Scottsdale, Az
Posts: 1,279
AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Maybe all the batteries and coins their fans throw onto the court creates a vacuum that sucks the ball into the rim.....

I miss hating Charlotte and their fans
What was the kids name that blew kisses to his wife ? too funny.
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:29 AM   #17
Cin City
Senior Member
 
Cin City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 288
Cin City is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ BEARCAT View Post
What was the kids name that blew kisses to his wife ? too funny.
Diego Guevara...now a real estate agent in Charlotte. Had to look up how to spell his last name. Dude works for Keller Williams...so if anyone is in the market for a house...
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #18
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,592
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
So... Coming into this year our last G-Score (Barttorvik stat measuring team performance on a 0-100 scale) game below 50 was 12/22/16 when UC squeaked out an OT win vs Marshall.

The Ohio State game was a 47 and Milwaukee was a 44. This probably helps explain the feeling a lot of us had of "Wow. We look really bad." Since then, every game has been between an 89 and 99.
I don't know what the equations of the G-score are exactly but I assume it has something to do with actual performance vs expected performance in some fashion.

I would agree the first 3 games I was thinking this was going to be a long year. I expected we would start off slow and be inconsistent all year but how far we have come since that stretch is a bigger difference than I thought was possible at that point in time.

I haven't really felt nervous as a fan about the outcome of a game (while they were playing) since then although UNLV was pushing it. The emergence of Williams has been probably the biggest factor...but the production of Brooks and Scott has surprised me too. I still don't feel comfortable with the bigs in terms of what they can produce in the paint against better bigs. But then again I don't think we need much more than a baby hook or two and some easy put backs from Brooks...and Scott is showing defenses you can't ignore his shooting ability.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #19
cincyguy13
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,711
cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I took a look at some team categories to get an essential idea of who we are as a program under Cronin in terms of different (on court) stats. I threw out stats from his first 4 years and this year. I also took out the highest and lowest number in each category for the remaining 8 years.

So the 8 years used were basically all of his tourney years and I think that has been a pretty solid consistent snapshot of who we are under him. I looked at Barttorvik page to see where we ranked in each category (on average).

ADJO...70th
ADJD...13th

TO%...60th
TO%D...69th

OR%...15th
DR%...170th

FT%...242nd
2%...178th
3%...190th

Obviously we have always been pretty horrible at shooting. Our ADJO looks much better (I guess because of offensive rebounds). We will always be great at D and OR. I would have guessed our TO% rank would rank higher with the amount of emphasis Cronin puts on it. Overall not a lot of surprises except for the TO category
Can someone explain why cronin never seems to emphasis shooting in recruiting? I still canít figure it out. His iso/post style offense would improve drastically with good shooting but we are always looking for shooting. I donít understand it.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:47 PM   #20
cincrulz11
Epic Member
 
cincrulz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,681
cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Can someone explain why cronin never seems to emphasis shooting in recruiting? I still canít figure it out. His iso/post style offense would improve drastically with good shooting but we are always looking for shooting. I donít understand it.

he looks for guys that fit his scheme on defense first. im sure if he felt guys could fit into that and were great shooters that he'd welcome them with open arms.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., - All material on this Cincinnati Bearcat discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting.