Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Which games will we win?
@UNLV 25 92.59%
NKU 27 100.00%
Xavier 21 77.78%
@Miss St 8 29.63%
UCLA 22 81.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2018, 06:40 AM   #1
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Expectations for Next 5 Games (OOC Gauntlet)

Cincinnati - 6-1, KenPom #36

12/1 - @UNLV (4-1, KenPom #132)
12/4 - NKU (7-1, KenPom #119)
12/8 - Xavier (3-3, KenPom #60)
12/15 - @Miss St (5-1, KenPom #29)
12/19 - UCLA (4-2, KenPom #52)

Last year our gauntlet consisted of @Xavier, Florida (neutral), Miss St and @UCLA. We went 2-2 in those games and were able to turn the momentum from those two wins into a 16-game winning streak.

How do you believe we'll fare this season?
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:44 AM   #2
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
I think we go 3-2 but am hoping for 4-1. I got us beating UCLA, X and NKU at home. If we can steal one of the other two games that would be very nice. My reasoning is centered on only losing 2 home games the last 2 years. We have been tough for teams to beat on our floor. Even if it was NKU for one season.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:51 AM   #3
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
I think UCLA is the best team, they played UNC very close until about 5 minutes left in the game then UNC throttled them, the miss state game is 50/50, the x game is 50/50, we should win the other 2
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:58 AM   #4
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
IMO yes the next 5 games are tough but we really should beat UNLV and NKU so then that leaves you with the other 3 games. Anything short of 2-1 would not feel good so Im hoping for 4-1. Especially since 2 of those 3 games are at home.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:47 AM   #5
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
UNLV hasn't played the toughest schedule, but neither have we. However, if the old saying "Defense Travels" is to be believed...then we should leave Vegas as solid winners.

The other 4 are a toss-up. We should beat NKU, but i have to believe they will play us tough. Xavier is always a toss-up. Miss. St. and UCLA are both pretty good.

These next 5 could go a long way come selection Sunday.

I expect to go 3-2. Anything more is a blessing. Anything less and I'm just going to be pissed off awhile.

I'll recover though.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
first 2 shouldn't be a problem, i dont think i'd consider them particularly tough.

the next 3 though, you could see the 2 home games going either way, and i dont like our chances vs mississippi state very much. mississippi state plays pretty well on both sides. i will say a plus for us in that game though is they aren't the best at preventing offensive rebounds. they let austin peay get 35%, arizona st get 37.5%, and saint mary's to get 32.5% and arizona state is the only team thats even good at getting offensive boards (but we are better).

im never going to feel good going into a xavier game until we show we'll show up for the game more than once every 5 years or w/e it is.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #7
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I'm not overlooking Xavier. they have more raw talent than we do.

But most of all, they will be DESPERATE. They literally have nothing but US and @missouri left on their non conference. We are their only chance at a tier 1 win in the non conference most likely as missouri isn't good at all this year.

That said, even our average offense should be able to carve up Xavier's 327th ranked defense (without preseason bias baked in).

Cane was able to blow by his man every time last year and we need Cane to do the same thing this season and for Jarron to be big Game Jarron like he always is.

ALSO... PLEASE Guard Ryan Welage. He is exactly the kind of ugly faced Xavier kid that will shoot us to shreds if we don't find him.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:13 AM   #8
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

ALSO... PLEASE Guard Ryan Welage. He is exactly the kind of ugly faced Xavier kid that will shoot us to shreds if we don't find him.

its always the bad shooters that hurt us vs them, and they've got more this year than ever before!

we gotta worry about goodin, marshall, and scruggs.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:47 AM   #9
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Cincinnati - 6-1, KenPom #36

12/1 - @UNLV (4-1, KenPom #132)
12/4 - NKU (7-1, KenPom #119)
12/8 - Xavier (3-3, KenPom #60)
12/15 - @Miss St (5-1, KenPom #29)
12/19 - UCLA (4-2, KenPom #52)

Last year our gauntlet consisted of @Xavier, Florida (neutral), Miss St and @UCLA. We went 2-2 in those games and were able to turn the momentum from those two wins into a 16-game winning streak.

How do you believe we'll fare this season?
Had this question been asked after the first 2 games I would probably have said 2-3 at best. At this point after seeing a lot of progress I would have to say 3-2 would be the minimum we need from that stretch. I think 4-1 should be a real chance as well.

3-2 content
4-1 very happy
5-0 Ecstatic
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:32 AM   #10
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Well it's official now! With a statement game to end the 5 game stretch.

I am a happy fan and I was dead wrong about this team coming into the season and after 3 games. We are so far ahead of where I thought we were going to be.

These guys are playing well together and for the most part all seem to buy into their roles. The way Jenifer, Scott, and Brooks talk after games you can tell their focus is where coach wants it to be. The performance of Williams has been huge as well. Coach has done a great job...so far one of his best years...maybe his best if we can keep it rolling.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote