Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives

Old 05-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
'11 ON PG Kevin Pangos

I saw BearcatAlum1 had posted this on another site.

Point Guard: Kevin Pangos
6'1" 175lbs
Newmarket, Ont., Canada
Denison Secondary School
AAU:

Offer:
Offers:
Top 3: Gonzaga, Michigan and Cincinnati

ESPN Profile

Per ESPN Rumors:

Class of 2011’s Kevin Pangos may not have a high ranking according to many recruiting services but the guard is the one of the top under the radar prospects of next year’s recruiting class. In a recent interview, the 6-foot-1 Pangos lists his 3 (so far) top schools: Gonzaga, Michigan and Cincinnati.

Pangos says in the interview that he intends to play ball on the AAU circuit this summer so his stock could shoot up in the fall. Regardless, this has to be good news to the coaching staffs of all three teams; Pangos has the skills to play at a high DI level and in particular, could fit the current squads of UM and Zaga well.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
This kid is a solid player who shoots well. Hopefully there will be more on him once he hits the AAU circuit this summer. He is under the radar because he is playing ball in Canada.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
"I think Kevin is the best point guard we've seen in Canada since Steve Nash," said Ken Murray, the Brock University men's basketball coach. "He's a very intelligent player who does a great job running the point. But he can also score. He basically has a complete game right now. He's a treat to watch.

"He's so good now, how much better is he going to get? He's just lacking a little physical strength, which should come in the next few years. I think he'll be a major (NCAA) Division I player."

At the tender age of 16, Pangos suited up for the Canadian senior men's national team last summer. The Holland Landing resident attended their training camp and was in the lineup for an exhibition in Italy.

Some of Pangos's other accomplishments are as follows:

* He scored 28 points (with seven steals, 7 assists) for Canada against Venezuela in the bronze-medal game of the FIBA of Americas U16 championship in Mendoza, Argentina.

* He won a bronze medal with Team Ontario at the 2009 Canada Summer Games in Summerside, P.E.I.

* He played a handful of games for coach Stu Julius's Guelph Phoenix select senior men's squad last fall against international and Canadian university competition.

* For Team Ontario, he was MVP of the Canadian U15 championships in Kamloops, B.C. in 2008.

* He was named MVP of an international U17 club tournament in Italy, helping Canada's Hoop Factory Elite team defeat Sabonis Kaunas of Lithuania in the final.

"We're pleased with the opportunities that he's had with the Canadian national development programs," said Pangos's father, Bill, the veteran coach of the York University women's basketball team.

"Canada Basketball is thinking long term. They're trying to give young kids a chance to play international basketball."

Bill Pangos coached his son coming up through the ranks. And he still does -- at the junior club level with the North York Basketball Association Avengers.

"It's been a pleasure coaching him over the years and seeing him develop. Kevin is an all-sport athlete who recently decided to focus on basketball."

Pangos said his son enjoyed and benefitted from the experience with head coach Leo Rautins' senior men's national squad. Kevin was invited to attend training camp and then got asked to join the team when a couple of veteran players couldn't make the trip.

"I guess he handled himself pretty well at training camp," Pangos said. "He obviously sat at the end of the bench on the trip but learned by watching. He got a few minutes here and there. The guys on the Canadian team and the coaching staff treated him very well."

Denison's first game at the Silver Fox will be Friday at 9:30 a.m. against Brantford North Park. That contest will be held at Saltfleet District High School.

Pangos, who does specialized training twice a week in Toronto with PEP (Player Elite Program), will likely play for Canada at the first-ever FIBA U17 world championship next summer in Germany.

http://basketballbuzz.ca/high-school...rd-since-nash/
Old 05-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
CanadianBearcat

CanadianBearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by swg View Post

* He won a bronze medal with Team Ontario at the 2009 Canada Summer Games in Summerside, P.E.I.

[/URL]
Small world, didn't know he was on that team, I was part of these games to, just in a different sport. Team Ontario was a huge disappointment getting upset in the semis by an upstart NS team, who eventually lost to Quebec by a buzzer beater in the finals. Better then us though haha we only managed tenth...Love the PEI reference though!!!
CanadianBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
CanadianBearcat

CanadianBearcat is on a distinguished road
But if we want to be the power house that Duke is, then we are going to have to start expanding our scouting and take some chances. Duke is awesome, and will be for a long time cause Coach K is the man and knows how to recruit.
CanadianBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
swg
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBearcat View Post
Small world, didn't know he was on that team, I was part of these games to, just in a different sport. Team Ontario was a huge disappointment getting upset in the semis by an upstart NS team, who eventually lost to Quebec by a buzzer beater in the finals. Better then us though haha we only managed tenth...Love the PEI reference though!!!
I actually know what PEI is. My mom made me watch Anne of Green Gables with her long ago...Prince Edwards Island.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
Bearcat04
Elite Member

Bearcat04 is on a distinguished road
Not sure how close we were to landing him last year, but he was fun to watch last night. He put up 33 on Washington St and tied a school record with 9 3's.
Bearcat04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
I so wanted this kid. Best Canadian pg since Stockton.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
JasonS
Football Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat04 View Post
Not sure how close we were to landing him last year, but he was fun to watch last night. He put up 33 on Washington St and tied a school record with 9 3's.
Who did he sign with?