Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #1
jbreeds1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 120
jbreeds1 is on a distinguished road
Anyone Else Worried???

I have a hard time believing that the Big East is done expanding. Anyone else think they'll try to poach from the AAC? Wichita State seems pretty appealing and would be a great addition to their conference.
We need to make leaving harder. Up the exit fees. Do something. Aresco needs to be ahead of the next move. Don't sit there and bang your chest about a decent deal with ESPN. Keep moving forward. I feel like we're the only conference who doesn't think ahead. We just react. It's embarrassing...

jbreeds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:43 AM   #2
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Scottsdale, Az
Posts: 1,374
AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreeds1 View Post
I have a hard time believing that the Big East is done expanding. Anyone else think they'll try to poach from the AAC? Wichita State seems pretty appealing and would be a great addition to their conference.
We need to make leaving harder. Up the exit fees. Do something. Aresco needs to be ahead of the next move. Don't sit there and bang your chest about a decent deal with ESPN. Keep moving forward. I feel like we're the only conference who doesn't think ahead. We just react. It's embarrassing...
Not worried about the big east, They can have UCONN, and please take East Carolina. Tulsa and Tulane.
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
Helicopter
Senior Member
 
Helicopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mt Lookout
Posts: 211
Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreeds1 View Post
I have a hard time believing that the Big East is done expanding. Anyone else think they'll try to poach from the AAC? Wichita State seems pretty appealing and would be a great addition to their conference.
We need to make leaving harder. Up the exit fees. Do something. Aresco needs to be ahead of the next move. Don't sit there and bang your chest about a decent deal with ESPN. Keep moving forward. I feel like we're the only conference who doesn't think ahead. We just react. It's embarrassing...
Let's not act like we intend to be in this conference for another 10 years. 2022 we will announce we are leaving for ACC or B12.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:41 AM   #4
Bearcats1232002
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 39
Bearcats1232002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
Let's not act like we intend to be in this conference for another 10 years. 2022 we will announce we are leaving for ACC or B12.

We hope.
Bearcats1232002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
Bearcats1232002
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 39
Bearcats1232002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ BEARCAT View Post
Not worried about the big east, They can have UCONN, and please take East Carolina. Tulsa and Tulane.
Losing Uconn was a loss. It wasn't a crippling death blow but I think they will get better under Hurley.

The Big East wouldn't take Tulsa, Tulane or East Carolina.
Bearcats1232002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:32 PM   #6
cincyguy13
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,041
cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreeds1 View Post
I have a hard time believing that the Big East is done expanding. Anyone else think they'll try to poach from the AAC? Wichita State seems pretty appealing and would be a great addition to their conference.
We need to make leaving harder. Up the exit fees. Do something. Aresco needs to be ahead of the next move. Don't sit there and bang your chest about a decent deal with ESPN. Keep moving forward. I feel like we're the only conference who doesn't think ahead. We just react. It's embarrassing...
The conference did add Wichita 2 years ago. That was a good get. The conference is in a tricky spot. Teams with football canít really go anywhere except to a P5. I also donít want them to add another team just to have another team. We already have 3-4 garbage teams at the bottom.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #7
jbreeds1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 120
jbreeds1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
The conference did add Wichita 2 years ago. That was a good get. The conference is in a tricky spot. Teams with football canít really go anywhere except to a P5. I also donít want them to add another team just to have another team. We already have 3-4 garbage teams at the bottom.
Dayton or VCU would both provide value to this conference. More than most. I think it's a mistake to sit back and wait for another move to happen. UConn may have sucked for the past 5 years, but they are a state school with a very rich basketball tradition. Let's get past the whole "who cares?" sentiment. It's a loss for our conference. Time to move forward, not stay the same and hope nothing else bad happens.

We aren't a big, mighty conference who can throw money at schools to lure them here. Time to think outside of the box. Or else this conference will die if/when we or another big program decides to jump ship.

We have leverage in this conference. Bohn or someone needs to push the needle or else we'll just remain a conference for misfit toys.
jbreeds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:50 PM   #8
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,398
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
Let's not act like we intend to be in this conference for another 10 years. 2022 we will announce we are leaving for ACC or B12.
I think this outlook depends on the idea that everything is still trending towards the power conferences. I have read some interesting input about the big tech companies like Netflix, Amazon, Apple, Google, etc to think those entities will be bidding on teams not conferences. In other words they will be bidding on OSU and Mich and not Rutgers or Northwestern. That could break up the power conference deals. Perhaps the conferences try to thwart big tech from doing this but I'm not sure Alabama or OSU are going to turn down the bigger payouts by going it alone. It's the Power conference bottom feeders that will want to hold it all together.

We have to be looking at both avenues because big tech will likely have more money to throw around. UC could end up with a decent single team package deal if big tech wins out over the Power conference deals. In either scenario UC has to be a money maker of course. If we can continue to keep pace in football and basketball we have a very good shot in either scenario but I think the single team deal might be our best option.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #9
itsamemario
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 13
itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreeds1 View Post
Dayton or VCU would both provide value to this conference. More than most. I think it's a mistake to sit back and wait for another move to happen. UConn may have sucked for the past 5 years, but they are a state school with a very rich basketball tradition. Let's get past the whole "who cares?" sentiment. It's a loss for our conference. Time to move forward, not stay the same and hope nothing else bad happens.

We aren't a big, mighty conference who can throw money at schools to lure them here. Time to think outside of the box. Or else this conference will die if/when we or another big program decides to jump ship.

We have leverage in this conference. Bohn or someone needs to push the needle or else we'll just remain a conference for misfit toys.
no thanks, But also, why do we have to add anyone? We just added Wichita as a basketball only and just lost Uconn...a basketball only. It all evens out, we just get 1 less buy football game
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:54 PM   #10
cincyguy13
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,041
cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreeds1 View Post
Dayton or VCU would both provide value to this conference. More than most. I think it's a mistake to sit back and wait for another move to happen. UConn may have sucked for the past 5 years, but they are a state school with a very rich basketball tradition. Let's get past the whole "who cares?" sentiment. It's a loss for our conference. Time to move forward, not stay the same and hope nothing else bad happens.

We aren't a big, mighty conference who can throw money at schools to lure them here. Time to think outside of the box. Or else this conference will die if/when we or another big program decides to jump ship.

We have leverage in this conference. Bohn or someone needs to push the needle or else we'll just remain a conference for misfit toys.
Like I said, they just added Wichita 2 years ago. Iím sure they are considering their options. I think they want a football school though and there just arenít many of them.

I agree with you, would take vcu or Dayton for basketball. I wish we played Dayton every year anyway. I would also consider saint louis.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., - All material on this Cincinnati Bearcat discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting.