Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-04-2020, 01:26 PM   #271
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
actually MAW and Harvey share the same birthday. MAW is just a year older.
Yea I think he went to Prep School As well.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:23 PM   #272
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Harvey and maw will be good players. They might not to all time great, like jarron or sk, or even Jacob but they will be very good. Like a Troy. They both have skills, and length. This summer will help them out a lot. They will know what to expect. And it will be their team. Aside from Keith.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:11 PM   #273
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I continue to submit that Vogt lost us as many games (or more) than he won for us, even early in the season.

He was at least arguably doing more good than harm when he was scoring. Now he is borderline unplayable with his defense and lack of scoring.

The difference between the defensive abilities of Vogt and Diarra is huge. When Vogt is in we double Vogt's man, collapse more guys to the paint to provide help and have trouble stopping the drive. With Diarra in we don't need to double, Diarra cuts off drives before they even start and provides good help defense in the paint (though he is still learning when to go for the block and when he should back-off and box-out).

Diarra is averaging only 1.3 fewer points in conference than Vogt, rebounds better, defends better and can stretch the floor by shooting threes. Yes, he is more mistake prone, but we've seen that if he's given time and a chance to play through the mistakes, he is a better player than Vogt (and has way more potential).
This team wouldn't even be sniffing the NCAA's if it weren't for Vogt early in the season.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:27 PM   #274
Lefty

Lefty is on a distinguished road
Seems like most here are less impressed with
MAW than I am.
I think he needs more touches (highest FG%,
3 pt %, FT %), can take it to the hole, handles are
pretty good.
Doesn’t score as much as Jarron as Fr cause he
doesnt shoot as much.
Decent D tho as most Fr, too many reach in fouls
esp 30 ft from basket but that’s getting better.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:26 AM   #275
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
I was trying to think about our long season of never playing well on both sides of the ball at the same time.

Was the 13 minute stretch vs USF the longest we've played well on both sides all season?
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:12 AM   #276
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I was trying to think about our long season of never playing well on both sides of the ball at the same time.

Was the 13 minute stretch vs USF the longest we've played well on both sides all season?

I felt like at home vs Tenn we had stretches of both, vs Tulsa, and SMU as well.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:24 AM   #277
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I felt like at home vs Tenn we had stretches of both, vs Tulsa, and SMU as well.

yeah about the same in those games too.

this team has so many of those stretches where they really act like they don't know what a basketball is. those stretches are responsible for so many of our losses.

We'll have these stretches were a bunch of our turnovers come in a 6 minute span. Or vs Houston the vast majority of their offensive boards were in like a 7 minute span.

The hope was by the end of the year that would get cleaned up, but it just never happened.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #278
Chance2017

Chance2017 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
yeah about the same in those games too.

this team has so many of those stretches where they really act like they don't know what a basketball is. those stretches are responsible for so many of our losses.

We'll have these stretches were a bunch of our turnovers come in a 6 minute span. Or vs Houston the vast majority of their offensive boards were in like a 7 minute span.

The hope was by the end of the year that would get cleaned up, but it just never happened.

I think our best chance to make a late season run is a combination of a few things.

1.) Cleaning up the turnovers- Self explanatory

2.) Getting a more efficient Jarron Cumberland

Since his injury at WSU, he is shooting 16-64 from the field. (25%)

I am not putting blame on him here. If he's injured, he's injured. Hard to expect the same player as last season if he's not healthy.

The rest of the team needs to be more assertive so Jarron isn't taking shots he isn't healthy enough to make. Maybe run less sets for him. If Keith can penetrate, Jarron can get some catch and shoot 3's that aren't as physically demanding.

3.) Dou being consistent enough to eat into some of Vogt minutes

You cannot ignore how much better we looked on Tuesday down the stretch. If Dou can be consistent, no reason he can't be out there for 18-22 minutes a game. This helps CV's ability to be more aggressive on D as well....if Chris is only going to play 25 minutes.

It's a lot to ask.....but why not us
Chance2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:05 AM   #279
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Even in Diarra's most amazing game ever the other day, he was still unusable in the first half.

There are very specific situations where Diarra's skill set on defense is a perfect fit and it make sense to use him.

But bad Diarra is really really bad. He gets out of position, he acts all confused, he'll turn it over a ton.

If the opposing team ever throws it to the low post on offense, thats not likely to be a game Diarra plays a lot.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:10 PM   #280
Lefty

Lefty is on a distinguished road
Agree on Dou.
While comeback win was fantastic to see and Dou
contributed quite a bit & is improving, let’s not forget
it was USF. Their record is what it is for a reason.
Me thinks in part they woke up from their dream
state (aided by us) & we took advantage.
A better team maybe not.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote