Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-29-2020, 01:44 PM   #431
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Diarra improved throughout the year. Vogt regressed.

Diarra's issues are correctable, Vogt is stuck being slow and unathletic.

Diarra played the important minutes over Vogt in the last two games of the season, had tournament been played this trend would likely have continued.

Diarra was the better player at the end of the year, given that he also has a much higher ceiling, there is no reason to assume he won't be the better player next year as well.

As Justin says, they may well start together. But if we go small, then Diarra should be the starter at the 5 over Vogt.

But on the original subject. Vogt has not proven he deserves to be the starter next year. There's no reason to think that Brannen would be telling a grad transfer big they'd only be getting bench minutes. Vogt had the opportunity and didn't do enough to prove he should start. Diarra showed potential and started to show results, but hasn't proven himself as a starter. Eason is a freshman and may not be worthy of more than 5-10 minutes per game in his first year.

There is a lot of room for a big to come in and get 20+ minutes per game. The question is does Brannen want to go that route? Based on his recruiting I suspect he is looking at playing Diarra at the 5 and playing a small ball 4.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #432
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post

Diarra played the important minutes over Vogt in the last two games of the season, had tournament been played this trend would likely have continued.

Diarra was the better player at the end of the year, given that he also has a much higher ceiling, there is no reason to assume he won't be the better player next year as well.

As Justin says, they may well start together. But if we go small, then Diarra should be the starter at the 5 over Vogt.

But on the original subject. Vogt has not proven he deserves to be the starter next year. There's no reason to think that Brannen would be telling a grad transfer big they'd only be getting bench minutes. Vogt had the opportunity and didn't do enough to prove he should start. Diarra showed potential and started to show results, but hasn't proven himself as a starter. Eason is a freshman and may not be worthy of more than 5-10 minutes per game in his first year.

There is a lot of room for a big to come in and get 20+ minutes per game. The question is does Brannen want to go that route? Based on his recruiting I suspect he is looking at playing Diarra at the 5 and playing a small ball 4.

I Think saying Vogt flat out regressed is pretty short sighted. The dude had never logged those kind of minutes before.

I’m certain that we would see that kinda late season funk from just about any one Who went from playing 492 combined minutes in 2 previous seasons to now playing 30 min per game and also logging 856 total minutes
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #433
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Let’s be honest. Diarra had 3-4 good games. Maybe not even that. Vogt played well for 3 times that. His ceiling is definitely higher than vogts but I’m not ready to say he turned a corner and is going to be some kind of all league player. There is no evidence of that. Hopefully he can but I like to see it for at least a month straight first
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #434
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I am not sure I would call Vogt's play a regression rather than other teams figured out he was killing it and started making a plan to deal with him. He would see doubles that he was not seeing early on. Commanding a double team is still valuable for the team. Dou never had to deal with that and if he did...would likely be a mess

Dou has ALWAYS had potential. The problem is he hasn't seemed mentally ready to fulfill it. Some coaches will value consistency over potential as you never know what you are going to get with the latter. I would LOVE nothing more than for Dou to realize his potential because the ceiling is very high especially if he can add another 10-20 lbs.

But let's not pretend a 3 game stretch at the end of the season is enough to show he will be anything close to consistent. But I sure hope he can put it together!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:07 AM   #435
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
We (along with Xavier) didn't make the final 8 for Carlik Jones.

Louisville, West Virginia, Gonzaga, Maryland, Texas Tech, Michigan State, Marquette and Radford are the schools he's considering.

Hope we put the full court press on Tate now.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:34 AM   #436
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Jadun Michael decommitted from Wichita State. We were on him before, and he said we have reached out. 4 star wing.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:02 AM   #437
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
I also think Vogt was just playing more minutes than he was in shape for. Losing that backup was tough. He was double teamed and tired.

I don't know if he'll become all conference ever, but I see him doing a lot to prepare for the next opportunity to move up in reliability.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:23 AM   #438
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
We (along with Xavier) didn't make the final 8 for Carlik Jones.

Louisville, West Virginia, Gonzaga, Maryland, Texas Tech, Michigan State, Marquette and Radford are the schools he's considering.

Hope we put the full court press on Tate now.
I wonder just how much effort we put in. Tate seems like a perfect fit so maybe we backed off a little or didn't show the level of interest other programs did.

There are a few players that are probably more talented than Tate out there but once you consider the familiarity with the coach and system...I am not sure that doesn't even it up a little compared to guys like Jones and Turner etc.

I would like to see a shooter on the wing but maybe CJB can fix Tate's woes from last year. I think the Madsens can give us some shooting if we are struggling
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:21 AM   #439
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I wonder just how much effort we put in. Tate seems like a perfect fit so maybe we backed off a little or didn't show the level of interest other programs did.

There are a few players that are probably more talented than Tate out there but once you consider the familiarity with the coach and system...I am not sure that doesn't even it up a little compared to guys like Jones and Turner etc.

I would like to see a shooter on the wing but maybe CJB can fix Tate's woes from last year. I think the Madsens can give us some shooting if we are struggling
Looks like jones wanted a big school based on his list. Can’t blame him. Probably the last time he will have every school in America wanting him to play.

As far as Tate, I don’t love his game but I think we are good on guards and wings. If he can help bridge the gap for a year, I’m all for it. I would like a scorer but with all the young guys we have, we could have multiple Guys be that. Never really know until they come in and play. We also have a top 50ish guy in Harvey that is healthy and a year in to the system. Could see a big jump from him.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #440
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Looks like jones wanted a big school based on his list. Can’t blame him. Probably the last time he will have every school in America wanting him to play.

As far as Tate, I don’t love his game but I think we are good on guards and wings. If he can help bridge the gap for a year, I’m all for it. I would like a scorer but with all the young guys we have, we could have multiple Guys be that. Never really know until they come in and play. We also have a top 50ish guy in Harvey that is healthy and a year in to the system. Could see a big jump from him.
Tate to me is an ideal mick Cronin guard.

Just wish he shot better.

But this late, I’ll take him because he knows the system.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote