Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #21
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Yeah I'd skip the questions I asked you too.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #22
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
How is he going to spin this? Or will he start kicking and screaming? He may also ignore this? Let’s see
ignore and shift goalposts was the correct answer.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:27 AM   #23
Chance2017

Chance2017 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
3 times in 9 years.

Harvard
Iowa last year
Nevada

Everything other than that went as expected
Mick underachieved 3/9 times
Overachieved 1/9 times
Performed to expectation 5/9 times

Not great but not dreadful. The only thing is, the Nevada meltdown is indefensible. And that will taint his legacy for me.
Chance2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:28 AM   #24
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I mean we have no idea what kinda long term recruiter John Brannen is going to be.

His first big swing and miss was on a publicized courting of Pettway from Alabama.

That would have gotten me excited to land him. But right now, Brannen has a very mid major staff and its not like were lighting the roof on fire with recruiting.

In 2 classes we still have just 1 top 100 player

Tari Eason fell out of the top 100 in both the composite and the 247 rankings. Why he went from solidly in the top 100 to out of it, I have no idea.

I don't think you can look at CJB's recruiting and think its been amazing or anything.
Brannen has two of the top 15 all time recruits, by 247, in his short tenure here.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:31 AM   #25
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance2017 View Post
Mick underachieved 3/9 times
Overachieved 1/9 times
Performed to expectation 5/9 times

Not great but not dreadful. The only thing is, the Nevada meltdown is indefensible. And that will taint his legacy for me.

also lets be clear, when performing to expectation in the tournament, those expectations were 6-10 seed where to perform to expectations you either could just lose the first game, or lose the 2nd game.

Losing to Saint Josephs and Creighton in the first round was meeting expectations.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #26
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
yeah you have to. because his teams have had talented players on them at key positions.

ill start with the past, you tell me the future.

Caupain
Cobb
Ellis
Clark
Washington
Evans
Jenifer
Broome
Cumberland

Every single one of them was productive from day one (Ellis after returning). Now give me who we have for next year and the year after. Keith could go on that list. Now give me anybody else. Cumberland is the tail end of that core. Nothing came behind it.

Moore, Nsoseme, Fredericks were all whiffs. LJ looks like a whiff. Hardnett we can give a maybe at best. theres nobody else.

Curtis
Keith
Moore
Diarra
?????

thats the lineup next year? let me know who im missing.

LOL You cannot say LJ, Hardnet, Fredericks, NSoseme were all whiffs because Mick knew his system. What worked for him didn't always work for other Schoo

He made a living taking guys that other larger schools passed on.

LSU overlooked Evans, he was good, but NO ONE EXPECTED Him to get drafted in year 3.

Caupain was not highly recruited at ALL

JUSTIN JENIFER??? you really included him on this list? he wasn't productive from day one. He was a WHIFF and then he DEVELOPED.

Trevor Moore is the only true Whiff I see and he was billed to be an elite shooter by guys like Chad Brendel.

Thing is Trevor outplayed Keith Williams his first year. He tried hard but was just over his head.

All the Carolina schools passed on Gary Clark

Octavios Ellis was a project that developed into a good player. He wasn't highly sought after.

Of this list how many of these guys were 4 stars?
Caupain. 3 star #212
Cobb 2 star unranked out of high school
Ellis 3 star Ranked 211
Clark 4 star ranked 90
Washington Transfer.. But was a 4 star, though a dud for NC State
Evans 4 star 130
Jenifer 3 star 153
Broome 2 Star unranked out of high school, played for frickin sacred heart
Cumberland 4 star 56

LOL The 6th highest ranked recruited that UC has had in the 247 era is playing for John Brannen right now.

Players developed at UC.

You're Making it seem like Mick Cronin was a recruiting GOD and then all the sudden was a turd on the recruiting trail.

He has NEVER been great at reeling in top level talent. But he has been great at identifying under the radar guys and making them better.

Just so happens that Tre Scott is one of those guys. So was Justin Jenifer.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:43 AM   #27
justinhub2003
Epic Member

I'll certainly take Mick Cronin's last 9 years of tourney success over the last 9 years of Huggins.

In fact, I think the big reason people were frustrated with Mick, was because it was a continuation of Huggins failures in the latter part of his time at UC.

Huggs just happened to buy himself a lot of Capital with success he had in his first 5-6 years.

Huggins was getting top 4 seeds and still had just 1 sweet 16 in his last 9 years.

He was upset 7 TIMES in his last 9 years.

Maybe UC basketball is cursed. 18 tourney's between 2 coaches and just 2 sweet 16's. 10 times being upset by lowered seeded teams.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #28
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What worked for him didn't always work for other Schoo
I had to read the rest of the post in an Eric Cartman voice.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #29
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
Brannen has two of the top 15 all time recruits, by 247, in his short tenure here.
ZACH Harvey was a recruiting exception. NOT THE RULE.

I'm not touting that Mick recruited lance because we both Know that if it weren't for external circumstances Lance nor Harvey would be here

And he actually has the 6th and 7th best Recruits of all time on THIS TEAM RIGHT NOW. and he we are with 10 losses. 4 of which to sub 100 teams.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #30
Chance2017

Chance2017 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'll certainly take Mick Cronin's last 9 years of tourney success over the last 9 years of Huggins.

In fact, I think the big reason people were frustrated with Mick, was because it was a continuation of Huggins failures in the latter part of his time at UC.

Huggs just happened to buy himself a lot of Capital with success he had in his first 5-6 years.

Huggins was getting top 4 seeds and still had just 1 sweet 16 in his last 9 years.

He was upset 7 TIMES in his last 9 years.

Maybe UC basketball is cursed. 18 tourney's between 2 coaches and just 2 sweet 16's. 10 times being upset by lowered seeded teams.
WOW is all I have to say if you would take Mick over Bob Huggins. WOW
Chance2017 is offline   Reply With Quote